The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Folk, we are not getting the 3rd and the 5th.  We will pick 5. All these silly rumours around top picks being up for grabs.  Poppy cock. 

I agree. If we trade up, we most likely have to include our own pick to make the deal happen. Hischier and Patrick are the cream of the crop but after the two, the rest of the group are interchangeable and even I can't come up with a perfect draft rankings. Glass, Makar, Mittelstadt, Necas are all young kids that I really like and should fit in our core group seamlessly. Heiskanen, Vilardi are solid options and no brainer picks if either one is available at 5

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What does your ability to do pull ups have to with Middlestadt?  

The fact that most people who keep themselves in shape can do at least 2-3.  Mittelstadt is a projected top 10 NHL draft pick. He should outperform the average fit person by a lot. He is supposed to be an elite athlete.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, WeatherWise said:

bigwhite06 (Feebster on HF) has just released his Gabriel Vilardi 2016-17 highlight package:

Gabe is one of my favorites of this draft class. As I have said many times before, if his skating was any better, he would be a legitimate candidate to be chosen first overall.

The right-handed Horvat is what I got out of that.

20 hours ago, FireGillis said:

For the reason you just stated. Looks like a man playing against boys. With big guys it's sometimes hard to tell if they're doing well due to talent or because they're just bigger and more physically mature than most. Once that player gets to the NHL, then that size advantage disappears, so if he relied on being bigger than everyone, he won't be as effective. Some see Rasmussen falling in that category. 

When I talked to him about 3 weeks ago I couldn't believe how big how was. Towering. He won't drop out of the first round. Think he goes to Las Vegas or Detroit. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

The fact that most people who keep themselves in shape can do at least 2-3.  Mittelstadt is a projected top 10 NHL draft pick. He should outperform the average fit person by a lot. He is supposed to be an elite athlete.

His fitness scores for endurance were ok. 

Power in terms pounding the bike for max levels (a decent equivalent physical output to max skating exertion, maybe slightly harder) were actually very good. Thats probably the best measure of how overall hockey fitness stands up?

Pull up & bench press upper body strength are a concern. But not necessarily a deal breaker.  Not in the top 10 anyway, probably in the top 5.

Elias Petterson was something like 7th and 2knd in same Wingate rating of an athlete's ability to generate power over 5 and 30 seconds. He can go harder than virtually anybody for the average 30 second ice hockey shift.  Thats first more important than the ability to do a pull up. As much as being too skinny for such an event does stand out, with that athleticism, there is simple logic he can develop strength over his whole frame.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure if anyone's bothered to do this yet, but Canucks Army has been doing a top-100 series on the best prospects in this year's draft.

Figured I'd take a few minutes and list their rankings after the first round (#32-100). Names are clickable and link to profile articles on Canucks Army.

I'll come back later and add the first round rankings (#1-31) once they've all been published.

Anyway, here goes:

#32 Michael Rasmussen

#33 Mason Shaw

#34 Robert Thomas

#35 Shane Bowers

#36 Isaac Ratcliffe

#37 Kole Lind

#38 Matthew Strome

#39 Conor Timmins

#40 Jonah Gadjovich

#41 Ivan Lodnia

#42 Marcus Davidsson

#43 Antoine Morand

#44 Nikita Popugayev

#45 Morgan Frost

#46 Evan Barratt

#47 Jesper Boqvist

#48 Stelio Mattheos

#49 Nick Henry

#50 Josh Brook

#51 Robin Salo

#52 Kyle Olson

#53 Jake Oettinger

#54 Artyom Minulin

#55 Pierre-Olivier Joseph

#56 Lukas Elvenes

#57 Jake Leschyschyn

#58 Fabian Zetterlund

#59 Alexander Chmelevski

#60 Max Gildon

#61 Austen Keating

#62 Adam Ruzicka

#63 David Farrance

#64 MacKenzie Entwistle

#65 Alex Formenton

#66 Noel Hoefenmayer

#67 Jonas Rondbjerg

#68 Alexei Lipanov

#69 Nathan Schnarr

#70 Ivan Chekhovich

#71 Scott Reedy

#72 Eemeli Rasanen

#73 Lane Zablocki

#74 Jack Studnicka

#75 Filip Westerlund

#76 Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

#77 Ryan Hughes

#78 Pavel Koltygin

#79 Jarret Tyszka

#80 Ostap Safin

#81 Richard Hugg

#82 Marcus Sylvegard

#83 Logan Cockerill

#84 Joel Teasdale

#85 Markus Phillips

#86 Morgan Geekie

#87 Mikey Anderson

#88 Michael DiPietro

#89 Emil Bemstrom

#90 Olle Eriksson

#91 Joni Ikonen

#92 Patrick Khodorenko

#93 Alexander Polunin

#94 D'Artagnan Joly

#95 Linus Nyman

#96 Jordy Bellerive

#97 MacAuley Carson

#98 Mark Kastelic

#99 Tyler Inamoto

#100 Ryan Peckford

Quick question,  I have never read Canucks Army. Do they have scouts who travel and watch games?  If not, really what good are these rankings?

20 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Quick question,  I have never read Canucks Army. Do they have scouts who travel and watch games?  If not, really what good are these rankings?

They don't have scouts on staff.

But they do reach out to scouts and also quote 2-3 scouting sources for each profile.

Also, while people like to refer to the Canucks Army writers as "mom's basement" type bloggers, they do watch a lot of hockey. The writer of each profile has likely watched the player a fair amount, albeit mostly on video, and then consulted with a few people before publishing their piece.

They also offer a stats-based aspect (using pGPS, SEAL, etc) and merge that approach with more conventional analyses (eye test stuff). 

All in all, they've done a pretty good job this year and the individual profiles provide a decent read on each of the 100 prospects they've ranked this year.

31 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Necas/Petterson. Are they virtually the same player except Necas a bit faster?

Necas a little bit taller/ heavier, more gritty. Pettersson probably with the better shot and hands. I really admire Necas's vision and playmaking ability at high speed though. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure if anyone's bothered to do this yet, but Canucks Army has been doing a top-100 series on the best prospects in this year's draft.

Daunting task with those hyperlinks. Some weird rankings too, as I've seen Rasmussen, Popugayev and Timmins consistently in the first round. If we can get 2 of those three with our 2nd rounders, that would be fantastic. 

I like Matheos and Entwistle too from the U-18s, and given this list we could snag them with our 3rd. It seems as well that some of the better goaltenders in DiPietro and Olle Eriksson Ek will be in range of our first 4th rounder. I'm not sure I buy those rankings, but optimism all around.

I don't see Mismash, so he must be in the first round with CA. 

39 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Necas/Petterson. Are they virtually the same player except Necas a bit faster?

4 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Necas a little bit taller/ heavier, more gritty. Pettersson probably with the better shot and hands. I really admire Necas's vision and playmaking ability at high speed though. 

The 2nd interview voice-over with Mark Edwards around 1:45, he talks about how both Pettersson and Necas are a little slight right now, but given time will be exceptional. 

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Figured I'd take a few minutes and list their rankings after the first round (#32-100). Names are clickable and link to profile articles on Canucks Army.

I'll come back later and add the first round rankings (#1-31) once they've all been published.

Anyway, here goes:

#32 Michael Rasmussen

#33 Mason Shaw

#34 Robert Thomas

#35 Shane Bowers

#36 Isaac Ratcliffe

#37 Kole Lind

#38 Matthew Strome

#39 Conor Timmins

#40 Jonah Gadjovich

#41 Ivan Lodnia

#42 Marcus Davidsson

#43 Antoine Morand

#44 Nikita Popugayev

#45 Morgan Frost

#46 Evan Barratt

#47 Jesper Boqvist

#48 Stelio Mattheos

#49 Nick Henry

#50 Josh Brook

#51 Robin Salo

#52 Kyle Olson

#53 Jake Oettinger

#54 Artyom Minulin

#55 Pierre-Olivier Joseph

#56 Lukas Elvenes

#57 Jake Leschyschyn

#58 Fabian Zetterlund

#59 Alexander Chmelevski

#60 Max Gildon

#61 Austen Keating

#62 Adam Ruzicka

#63 David Farrance

#64 MacKenzie Entwistle

#65 Alex Formenton

#66 Noel Hoefenmayer

#67 Jonas Rondbjerg

#68 Alexei Lipanov

#69 Nathan Schnarr

#70 Ivan Chekhovich

#71 Scott Reedy

#72 Eemeli Rasanen

#73 Lane Zablocki

#74 Jack Studnicka

#75 Filip Westerlund

#76 Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

#77 Ryan Hughes

#78 Pavel Koltygin

#79 Jarret Tyszka

#80 Ostap Safin

#81 Richard Hugg

#82 Marcus Sylvegard

#83 Logan Cockerill

#84 Joel Teasdale

#85 Markus Phillips

#86 Morgan Geekie

#87 Mikey Anderson

#88 Michael DiPietro

#89 Emil Bemstrom

#90 Olle Eriksson

#91 Joni Ikonen

#92 Patrick Khodorenko

#93 Alexander Polunin

#94 D'Artagnan Joly

#95 Linus Nyman

#96 Jordy Bellerive

#97 MacAuley Carson

#98 Mark Kastelic

#99 Tyler Inamoto

#100 Ryan Peckford

Wow if we get Rasmussen at #33, Oettinger at #55 and Rasanen in the 3rd round that would be amazing.

8 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The 2nd interview voice-over with Mark Edwards around 1:45, he talks about how both Pettersson and Necas are a little slight right now, but given time will be exceptional. 

He's not even that skinny. He's 6'1 and 188lbs. He weighs more than Juolevi.

Edit: 178lbs, but still, that's about Juolevi's weight too.

Edited by Odd.