The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I really like Bailey in his few showings with the big club. That guy can sure fly on the ice. Tell you what I'd actually rather see him get a chance than McEwen. Ever since the playoff bubble, McEwen's play has been underwhelming. Looks like hes just warm body to fill in a lineup

I read a Pass it to Bulis or something recently that spoke about Baileys metrics in the few games last year and said they were off the charts good.

Hope he’s back!

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, nzan said:

I read a Pass it to Bulis or something recently that spoke about Baileys metrics in the few games last year and said they were off the charts good.

Hope he’s back!

Here's the excerpt.......

Finally, there’s Bailey, who only played three games before a hit from behind by Milan Lucic caused a shoulder injury that ended his season. It’s truly unfortunate, because Bailey was looking great before his injury. 

It honestly looked like the 25-year-old Bailey had taken a step forward in his game after 47 points in 53 games in the AHL last season. His 68.42% corsi was best on the Canucks, albeit in a very small sample size. The Canucks out-attempted their opponents 26-to-12 with Bailey on the ice at 5-on-5 and out-chanced them 13-to-4.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Here's the excerpt.......

Finally, there’s Bailey, who only played three games before a hit from behind by Milan Lucic caused a shoulder injury that ended his season. It’s truly unfortunate, because Bailey was looking great before his injury. 

It honestly looked like the 25-year-old Bailey had taken a step forward in his game after 47 points in 53 games in the AHL last season. His 68.42% corsi was best on the Canucks, albeit in a very small sample size. The Canucks out-attempted their opponents 26-to-12 with Bailey on the ice at 5-on-5 and out-chanced them 13-to-4.

Yeah, his underlying numbers were the best on the team, and by a huge margin, but it was also just a ~20 minutes TOI sample, and also with the most offensively skewed deployment (for what it’s worth) on the team (zonestarts were 8 OZ, 7 NZ, 1 DZ, 20 OTF; aka 88.89% “offensive zone starts”).

Still, his numbers were crazy good. Like 74.6 xGF% good (basically God level numbers).

In some categories, his numbers were a full 25 percentage points higher than anyone else on the team. As in 50% better than the next guy. Or 150% of the next guy’s rate. However you want to look at it. :lol:

I doubt he maintains anything close to those numbers, but they still indicate a very strong 3 games, and the potential for him to have a play driving effect (most likely due to his speed, as he’s a naturally gifted skater, and a big body) that might prove sustainable, albeit at much lower, mere mortal level percentages over larger samples.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

How ‘bout that Will Lockwood? ;) 

Right handed version of Tyler Motte? aka Clamato 2.0 would be great if he could turn into that for us! Really hope he gets a good chance to make the team, need to walkaway from basically all our contracts coming to an end except for maybe Hamonic depending on term/$$.

Lockwood seems to have the type of game to provide PK ability from our bottom 6, something we need...especially on a nice cheap contract!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 9:07 AM, Googlie said:

Let's not forget Bailey in all of this.  He was, after all, the first call up and had displaced Jake in the lineup until his Lucic encounter.  He has size, more than enough speed,  and soft hands for a big guy.   Even in the AHL you don't get three hattricks in 4 games by being a plug.  Has to be resigned, though (and might catch Seattle's eye)

Bailey had an amazing run from Nov 30, 2019 to Feb 28, 2020 GP 28 G 23 A 12 Pts 35. He was the fastest skater on Utica, and I didn’t many guys on other AHL teams that could skate with him - certainly not anyone his size - and he looked pretty quick the few times we got to see him with the Canucks. The question looked to be ‘Can he think the game as fast as he skates?’ And he seemed to be beginning to get it. 

And we can’t yet write off MacEwen, who in 2019 before the bug, had 5 goals in 17 games for the Canucks mostly buried down the lineup. The problem appears to be that they are not apparent top six guys, they aren’t accomplished checkers, and they don’t kill penalties (at least not yet), so what are they? But with the farm now in Abbotsford, if these guys get sent down, maybe Cull can work some more with MacEwen on the pk (Cull had him doing some pk just before he got sent up to the Canucks) maybe he could work them both out there. Big guys that are strong skaters have been known to do such things just think Beagle and Sutter - both 6’3”, too.

Of course, this is the Lockwood thread and from what I’ve seen, he is already decent on the pk, has more skill and nifty ness than he has been given credit for, and the only guys among Canuck forwards with similar motors are Motte and Hoglander. I can see Lockwood as a pk/fourth line guy before the end of the coming season - but he won’t get there if Green still has Beagle, Roussel, and Sutter to throw out ahead of him. Think “Moneyball” and coaching resistance to having his security blanket taken away - it’s hard to blame the coach, it’s a precarious job and a similar dynamic holds in pro hockey - unless a team has dedicated itself to the rebuild, it’s hard to get a coach to bite those bullets unless that prospect already comes with a tested pedigree - first round pick, or like Hoglander, should have been one. But Abby next door should really help that... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Bailey had an amazing run from Nov 30, 2019 to Feb 28, 2020 GP 28 G 23 A 12 Pts 35. He was the fastest skater on Utica, and I didn’t many guys on other AHL teams that could skate with him - certainly not anyone his size - and he looked pretty quick the few times we got to see him with the Canucks. The question looked to be ‘Can he think the game as fast as he skates?’ And he seemed to be beginning to get it. 

And we can’t yet write off MacEwen, who in 2019 before the bug, had 5 goals in 17 games for the Canucks mostly buried down the lineup. The problem appears to be that they are not apparent top six guys, they aren’t accomplished checkers, and they don’t kill penalties (at least not yet), so what are they? But with the farm now in Abbotsford, if these guys get sent down, maybe Cull can work some more with MacEwen on the pk (Cull had him doing some pk just before he got sent up to the Canucks) maybe he could work them both out there. Big guys that are strong skaters have been known to do such things just think Beagle and Sutter - both 6’3”, too.

Of course, this is the Lockwood thread and from what I’ve seen, he is already decent on the pk, has more skill and nifty ness than he has been given credit for, and the only guys among Canuck forwards with similar motors are Motte and Hoglander. I can see Lockwood as a pk/fourth line guy before the end of the coming season - but he won’t get there if Green still has Beagle, Roussel, and Sutter to throw out ahead of him. Think “Moneyball” and coaching resistance to having his security blanket taken away - it’s hard to blame the coach, it’s a precarious job and a similar dynamic holds in pro hockey - unless a team has dedicated itself to the rebuild, it’s hard to get a coach to bite those bullets unless that prospect already comes with a tested pedigree - first round pick, or like Hoglander, should have been one. But Abby next door should really help that... 

Agreed on all accounts , you just forgot maybe the fastest guy on our team now: Highmore. 

With so many injuries that come along with Motte’s playstyle I do think that we’ll see Lockwood get into 20-30 games this upcoming year.  Really hope that Michaelis goes to Abby, didn’t see anything in his game that was NHL caliber except his defensive positioning. 

• 2 weeks later...

AHL GM Ryan Johnson spoke glowingly about Will Lockwood today.  

Here's the link...  very interesting interview for the hardcores that like to know all the little nitty gritty details.  If you just want to hear about Will then fast forward to the last five minutes. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/ryan-johnson-ahl-move-abbotsford-jack-rathbone-will-lockwood/

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lockwood is a darkhorse for me to steal the 4RW spot. 

If he does I feel he might make Tyler Motte expendable as they do very similar things. Perhaps recoup a pick or another player asset. 

Agreed about Lockwood being a dark horse for a lineup spot.

As we know, the Canucks always run a competitive camp, and there are opportunities to win jobs each year.

Will brings a playstyle that gets noticed, especially in a scrimmage or preseason game where he’s maybe given a little more opportunity to showcase himself. If he comes in hot, maybe pots a goal or two, throws a few big hits, and shows good speed and pace, he could put himself on the radar and into the discussion when they’re making decisions on those final lineup spots to start the season.

I’m rooting for him. Loved watching him in college and I’ve been a big believer in his game being able to translate to the NHL.

And yeah, definitely a possible replacement for Motte, if extending him is too costly, or the team just wants to try to pickup an asset (or both).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dats hockey said:

Don’t want to burst your Bubble but Lockwood has a injury history already and isn’t even in the NHL yet…

So between the two of them, we can fill out a full season of that role! (might need Highmore as well)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...