The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

So glad that Benning kept Lockwood instead of Madden. 

I agree Boud's. I think he has a much better chance of being an NHL'er than Madden does and that is not a knock on Madden. Madden has a very high skill level but his very small frame will limit his chances of playing in the NHL.

Lockwood is not big by any means either but plays bigger than he is and has the wheels and aggressiveness to be effective in the bottom 6 IMO.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

how does lockwood compare in playing style to kole lind.? they may be competing for the same spot.

Good question Joe.  Lind is the bigger guy, and more skilled.  But Lockwood is by far the better skater, and more aggressive on pucks.  Maybe there are spots for both?  

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

how does lockwood compare in playing style to kole lind.? they may be competing for the same spot.

I wouldn't say they are competing for the same spot. I'd say Lind is more likely a middle 6 forward, probably best suited for the 3rd line but can move up to the 2nd if needed and Lockwood is more of a bottom six guy. A great, high energy physical type of forward best suited for the 4th line but can also move up to the 3rd in an effort to spark some energy amongst his teammate. Very similar to Motte with maybe a little less offensive upside and a little more physicality.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I wouldn't say they are competing for the same spot. I'd say Lind is more likely a middle 6 forward, probably best suited for the 3rd line but can move up to the 2nd if needed and Lockwood is more of a bottom six guy. A great, high energy physical type of forward best suited for the 4th line but can also move up to the 3rd in an effort to spark some energy amongst his teammate. Very similar to Motte with maybe a little less offensive upside and a little more physicality.

so could it be boeser, podkolzin, lind and lockwood? that would be a good cost effective right side if they can play in the nhl.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Lockwood is faster and very, very busy as a forechecker and as a back-checker - in each game I've seen him he has shown something new - he is a creative player.. Lind is a very good play maker, has a good head for the game - he is a decent finisher. Now without presumptions of grandeur: see Lockwood as being on the Motte end of the spectrum, and Lind as being on the Baertschi end (but with some grit).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Good question Joe.  Lind is the bigger guy, and more skilled.  But Lockwood is by far the better skater, and more aggressive on pucks.  Maybe there are spots for both?  

Lockwood has a lot more skill than most give him credit for. Lockwood won his way up Cull's depth chart in a hurry.  It's unfortunate they didn't have a long post season in Utica - I really like where both of those players are going - but I see Lind mostly having a value in the top six, whereas Lockwood would be helpful at any level of the lineup.

19 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Lockwood has a lot more skill than most give him credit for. Lockwood won his way up Cull's depth chart in a hurry.  It's unfortunate they didn't have a long post season in Utica - I really like where both of those players are going - but I see Lind mostly having a value in the top six, whereas Lockwood would be helpful at any level of the lineup.

Lind was playing centre in Utica.  He is at his best when he’s being a rat with skill.  I’d like to see both these guys (Lind and Lockwood) on our team next season.  I think Lockwood will be, because of his skating and aggressive nature.  Lind, I think is still maturing his game.  He needs to be more active.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lind was playing centre in Utica.  He is at his best when he’s being a rat with skill.  I’d like to see both these guys (Lind and Lockwood) on our team next season.  I think Lockwood will be, because of his skating and aggressive nature.  Lind, I think is still maturing his game.  He needs to be more active.  

if you had to trade one of Lockwood or Lind today, who would you pick? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you had to trade one of Lockwood or Lind today, who would you pick? 

Lind first.  I really like Lockwood’s game.  He’s a for sure NHLer, because of his skating and aggression.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lind first.  I really like Lockwood’s game.  He’s a for sure NHLer, because of his skating and aggression.  

I'm wondering if we can trade Lind to the Leafs for their 2nd and Liljegren. Wickenheiser is really high on Lind so I bet they'd bite on that. Liljegren has been floundering in the Leafts system and we need more RHD prospects. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm wondering if we can trade Lind to the Leafs for their 2nd and Liljegren. Wickenheiser is really high on Lind so I bet they'd bite on that. Liljegren has been floundering in the Leafts system and we need more RHD prospects. 

One of things that Benning has done that is great, that I think gets overlooked, is his having multiple prospects competing for the same spots.  It’s that internal competition that drives the better players to out do their mates.  And there is the bonus for the club where they can now afford to trade one of those young guys to fill a hole elsewhere, like you’re suggesting.  I just hope we keep Lockwood.  He’s a player we will need.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

One of things that Benning has done that is great, that I think gets overlooked, is his having multiple prospects competing for the same spots.  It’s that internal competition that drives the better players to out do their mates.  And there is the bonus for the club where they can now afford to trade one of those young guys to fill a hole elsewhere, like you’re suggesting.  I just hope we keep Lockwood.  He’s a player we will need.  

yeah it was fun to see the speed he has, we need more of that. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

I think they play at different positions Joe, even though Lind is listed as a RW, I believe he saw a lot of time as a center in Utica whereas Lockwood is a  right winger.

Both players play with a bit of an edge to their game so I do hope they both are a fit on the team at some point.

• Like 1

Lind is the type of player we have hungered for these last 2 seasons.  Is a pest around the net, always in the post-whistle scrums.  2 or 3 times we would hear the Comet's color guy say "and Lind doing the usual Lind things" as the camera panned in on him doing a face wash, or nose to nose with a defender, sticks up.  He's abrasive without crossing the line like a Marchand, but does draw the attention of the defence when he is around  the net. 

If Benning/Green do go with Miller as a Center, Lind would be a great winger for him.

• Thanks 1