The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

???????????

I'm so confused, are you referring to the 2019-20 season when Virtanen had 18 goals and 18 assists??

Because if you are, his 18 goals were tied for 100th in the NHL and his 18 assists were tied for 222nd in the NHL. His 36 points were tied for 161st that season. A far cry from 1st line numbers.

Or are you referring to rates per 60 as opposed to actual on ice results?

Nah....I seem to be loosing it lately............so I will revise

I was talking about RWers

I will blame it on Covid................not the 1st mistake lately.:picard: Sorry!

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

We still don't know how Bailey would do under an NHL coach.  Green tends to prevent players from playing physically, and cuts players who show a willingness to drop the mitts.  It's impossible to tell how much of the issue was Green and how much was the incompetent clown we had coaching the team.  Lockwood also deserves a shot now that Green isn't there to destroy his confidence.  Either player would be a huge upgrade over Chiasson, who is worse than useless.

I said similar in Bailey's thread. 

I mean he's been through 3 teams systems now (BUF, PHI and VAN) and not accomplished a whole lot at this level. So chances are he just is what he is, a good AHL'er with NHL 'tweener' ability. 

But just in case....maybe a call up under Bruce...?:lol:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I said similar in Bailey's thread. 

I mean he's been through 3 teams systems now (BUF, PHI and VAN) and not accomplished a whole lot at this level. So chances are he just is what he is, a good AHL'er with NHL 'tweener' ability. 

But just in case....maybe a call up under Bruce...?:lol:

I agree that Bailey has probably peaked at the level that he'll probably get to in pro hockey.  He might still find a home on a 4th line somewhere, but will probably always straddle the NHL/AHL line.  Happy to be wrong and maybe he'll be able to use his speed and size more effectively under Boudreau's system.

At this point in Bailey's career though, if he can't really carve out a spot for himself on his next call up (if he gets one), then he'll probably have to try elsewhere again.  I wonder if the Long term I think Lockwood has a solid chance to be a contributor with the team as long as he can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree that Bailey has probably peaked at the level that he'll probably get to in pro hockey.  He might still find a home on a 4th line somewhere, but will probably always straddle the NHL/AHL line.  Happy to be wrong and maybe he'll be able to use his speed and size more effectively under Boudreau's system.

At this point in Bailey's career though, if he can't really carve out a spot for himself on his next call up (if he gets one), then he'll probably have to try elsewhere again.  I wonder if the Long term I think Lockwood has a solid chance to be a contributor with the team as long as he can stay healthy.

Yeah, Lockwood's got some finer points to learn still but I think there's a solid, NHL level, depth, energy F in there ;)

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, Lockwood's got some finer points to learn still but I think there's a solid, NHL level, depth, energy F in there ;)

Feels like Lockwood plays in the mold of Kesler and Motte. A hard game, which generally leads to injuries. The kid has a lot of heart and hustle, so that’s a great bottom six player in the making. Having more Motte like players can’t be a bad thing. Good for the PK too. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/21/2021 at 10:49 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Geez Alf

You need to do a little digging

If you look at last season, yes, you see a very non-focused player.......I wonder was there anything going on with Virtanen, last year? I think so!

But if you go back to the year before, his 18 + 18 was not the only stat worth looking at. Look at his hits per 60, or his GvA vs his TkA, where he was a net plus. Far better that Zack McEwen, who think is so awesome..............

Got to be serious once in a while Alf!

Jake was not without his warts, but his on ice contribution, was not nil, and just imagine if he had a coach. No, sorry old friend, but outside his off ice problems, his progression was looking decent. Young guys do not loose skill for nothing.........there is always underlying reasons. Jakes were self made, and the reasons for his demise. But again, Jake was liked by his team-mates. They are the judge and jury on his on ice efforts. You are going to trust Green? Be my guest!

Now, to make myself clear, Jake was not a 1st or 2nd line player, but he was developing into a decent 3rd line player.................and 2 years ago had offensive numbers, close to 1st line numbers for RWers!. #18 OA in Goals, #35 OA in assists, #32 in Points ( in the entire league), with a hell of alot less minutes than most of the guys above him. So what changed?

Jake had his moments. I agree with your point about what might have been under a different coach. Is only coaches as a pro were Desjardin and Green. I am a little surprised Jake isn't putting better numbers up in the KHL. I thought he would thrive on the bigger ice and looser checking. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, GB5 said:

I agree that the pp doesn't need Chiasson, in fact, Pearson has been a much more effective net front presence on the 2nd pp unit.

The thing I have liked about Chiasson's game though is that he does use his size and bangs around a bit but he is slow so he seems to have trouble catching up to some players. Maybe Lockwood can replace him and not be so much of a banger but more of an agitator. He showed a tendency to be this in preseason so I would like to see Lockwood get a call up eventually.

Lockwood makes lots of significant contact because of his speed and anticipation, two attributes that Chiasson lacks. There are no AHL stats on hitting, but from observation I’d say lockwood hits as often as anyone in Abby.

• Cheers 1

On 11/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, GB5 said:

Lockwood seems to harness his inner Jarkko Ruutu at times.

Now the nucks just need a coach who can appreciate the value a speedy agitator can bring to a team.

Jarmo should have changed his name to Jerko to match his play - cuz everyone loved playing him so much.

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, Goal:thecup said:

Will Lockwood is also really smart and a student of the game.

He reminds me of Peca that way; keep your head up, cuz this guy knows how to play.

In a way, I think Lockwood's performance was what really let us give up Gadje, and maybe Mac; there was just getting to be too much talent ahead of them.

Need I mention, Lockwood can out and out fly?

Yeah, Peca is a sound comparison for Lockwood. Ask Sellane if Peca was big enough to hit in the NHL.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, hammertime said:

Well seeing as we need significant muscle regardless. I'm even more for it.

Yeah, I don’t like seeing a Horvat earlier, and Pearson and Miller recently, feeling they have to drop the gloves when one of our players is taken advantage of. I see that MacEwen and Gadjovch are both racking up penalty minutes with their respective teams. It’s funny, both f those guys were pretty good scorers in junior and in the AHL, and for a brief period, MacEwen looked like he had some talent as a scorer in the NHL. But that turned out to not be what they were wanted for.

This was the best part of a lifetime ago, and my memory is not the sharpest, but best I can remember, it goes like this.

In Prince George, I used to play summer hockey with a fourth round a Hartford draft pick - 6’2 210, who had great hands. Summer hockey up there then, drew back to town lots juniors, draft picks, college players, minor pro players and the like, and even a few pros - Darcy Rota and Greg Polis, for instance. It was a decent level of hockey, and this young Hartford pick stood out. After he got signed, it was pretty quickly pointed out that the Whalers had needs other than the talent in his hands for scoring goals. He told the story, best as I can remember, that in his first game he got into a scrap with the big guy on the other team. It turned out to be a bloody affair, and when they finally got him to the penalty box, his teammate brought him his stick, gloves and helmet. The guy I had played summer hockey with, pointed at the blood on his shirt and said to his teammate, “I got him good, eh?” 

The teammate replied, “Do you know who that was? That was Al Secord, that’s your blood rook.”

Such is the division of labour in the NHL.

But he did end up managing a WHL team later in life, so there is that. He was (maybe still is, one of the privileged few who made a living out of hockey.

But coming back to Lockwood needing some nearby muscle if he is to survive long term in the NHL, I think you are right. Like Motte, he is willing as heck, but playing that style leads to a lot of payback. I’ve seen Lockwood fight, and he is very good in his weight class, but NHL players are even bigger and stronger, yet.

But I really like him, and so do the fans in Abbotsford. Just like Motte with the Canucks. A lot of Canuck fans found their initial loyalties with the New West Bruins and guys like Steamer - so much heart and try that westerners just love them. Their kind of guys.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1