The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

Dickinson hasn't looked good - though besides last night where he actually did something, Petan isn't exactly a high benchmark to judge against.

Chiasson isn't good either - but we all need to remember how much we are paying these players. I'd say as a 4th liner, Chia has been ok.

Lockwood brings energy and a different look. I'm happy to see what he can do, and we need to give opportunity to our younger players to be given a look.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Lockwood is getting better each and every game in this stretch. Good skillset, NHL skater, and physical. He might be the answer to the full time fourth line player. Then, work his way up the lineup.

Yup.  He’s developing into a more durable and more physical Motte.  Love seeing how good Woody can drop and bop too.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  He’s developing into a more durable and more physical Motte.  Love seeing how good Woody can drop and bop too.  

Talking of Motte, despite all the fans wanting to resign him, who truly misses him ?

Edited by Fred65

14 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Remember how concerned Canuck nation was because of his shoulder issues in College.

Yup.  Woody had that boyish stick frame and needed to develop his man muscles before he came up.  He’s 23, so is a lot stronger now than in college, that’s for sure.  He’s tougher than I expected.  He understands his role (what he needs to do to be in the NHL) and embraces it.  

• Upvote 1

Exactly Lockwood seems to fit and he costs half of what Motte will cost. I like Motte for sure but Lockwood is a more than adequate replacement at half the cost. Mottte is likely at his peak, Lockwood has room to  grow. I have noticed Lammikko's play fall off a bit but that may have some  thing to do with Highmore

10 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood *

Lockwood will probably have to unseat Chiasson during training camp unless the Canucks do not re-sign Chiasson which might happen as he is a UFA.

Management said they wanted to get skilled players that are both younger and faster. Lockwood is all of that. Maybe just his defensive game that might hold him back.

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Lockwood will probably have to unseat Chiasson during training camp unless the Canucks do not re-sign Chiasson which might happen as he is a UFA.

Management said they wanted to get skilled players that are both younger and faster. Lockwood is all of that. Maybe just his defensive game that might hold him back.

I think Chiasson has been a PTO Guy the last three camps.  He’s earned a contract each time.  But I doubt we offer him more than a PTO.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Chiasson has been a PTO Guy the last three camps.  He’s earned a contract each time.  But I doubt we offer him more than a PTO.  

That is certainly a possibility but I'm not sure that they are looking into doing that. I guess we will find out come fall.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree with this assessment.

I'm not sure Chiasson is worth re-signing and Lockwood has more upside but Chiasson has been earning his contracts each and every time. If a couple of the AHL depth signings that were made last summer (Di Giusseppe, Rempal, Stevens, Bailey, Dries, Petan) opt to go overseas or sign elsewhere next year, it could open the door for Chiasson to be re-signed.

I could see the new management group giving Chiasson a 1 year deal like he has next year just to shore up some depth with a contract that is bury-able in case he falls off a cliff production wise. I don't see Chiasson turning down a 1 year minimum deal if he's offered it this summer by the Canucks. As you said, he's had to earn 3 contracts on PTOs. Tough thing for somebody to keep doing.

But yeah, probably 60/40 Chiasson returns. 60% not returning, 40% chance he comes back on a minimum deal.

Edited by Quantum
  • Like 1

First of all, too much disrespect towards Chiasson here.  JT Miller spoke at the beginning of the year how good Chiasson is at little things that fans don't notice. He's always screening the goalie instead of going for tips.... Way higher percentage play. Always turned the right way to get rebounds in front of the net, and always quick to get to the boards after a rebound/missed shot that goes in the corner. 

Now we all want Lockwood to succeed but he has to improve a lot in order to match what Motte brought us. 

Motte - Lammikko - Highmore was a dominant line. 

Lockwood- Lammikko- Whoever hasn't been. It's okay as he's new, but let's not pretend that we didn't lose one of the best 3rd lines in the league the moment that we shipped Motte out and Highmore got injured. 

I have really liked Lockwood's feistiness. We need more of that as Canucks have been too easy to play against. That's also a big reason why I want Boeser shipped out. I'm tired of him patting the opposition on the back and playing tummy sticks while we're losing games. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

First of all, too much disrespect towards Chiasson here.  JT Miller spoke at the beginning of the year how good Chiasson is at little things that fans don't notice. He's always screening the goalie instead of going for tips.... Way higher percentage play. Always turned the right way to get rebounds in front of the net, and always quick to get to the boards after a rebound/missed shot that goes in the corner. 

Now we all want Lockwood to succeed but he has to improve a lot in order to match what Motte brought us. 

Motte - Lammikko - Highmore was a dominant line. 

Lockwood- Lammikko- Whoever hasn't been. It's okay as he's new, but let's not pretend that we didn't lose one of the best 3rd lines in the league the moment that we shipped Motte out and Highmore got injured. 

I have really liked Lockwood's feistiness. We need more of that as Canucks have been too easy to play against. That's also a big reason why I want Boeser shipped out. I'm tired of him patting the opposition on the back and playing tummy sticks while we're losing games. 

Yeah, there’s really no arguing Chiasson’s efficiency on the power play (and especially for a player making just $750K). Of all Canucks players with >6 minutes total PPTOI this season, Chiasson leads the entire team (on the power play) in individual goals per 60, individual high danger chances per 60, and individual shooting percentage. So he basically produces the most chances per minute and converts on his chances at the highest rate on the team. It might seem easy to stand in front of the net on the power play, but no other Canuck has managed to do it better this season than Chiasson. 

• Haha 1