The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

29 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup, would rather see Locks and Bailey up in the big club over guys like Dowling and Chiasson, Dickinson to the 4th line and elevate Motte. Im curious to see how Bailey looks with the new coaching staff who preaches speed and aggresiveness. Chiasson is worthless and doesn't belong in the roster

Having a faster roster would wreak havoc on opposing teams defensive structure. I think faster players like Woody and Bailey would be energy guys that could force defensive errors and reduce time and space for opposing teams. A 4th line with 3 Motte's? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Having a faster roster would wreak havoc on opposing teams defensive structure. I think faster players like Woody and Bailey would be energy guys that could force defensive errors and reduce time and space for opposing teams. A 4th line with 3 Motte's? 

Bailey struggled during his games this year. I actually thought he played better last year before the injury. Under BB’s plan he might do better. I would like to see one forward position kept open for players to come up from Abby and keep rotating them thru if waivers aren’t an issue. I don’t want to lose anymore players. I watched Mac in the Philly game on Saturday. Not sure his TOI but it looked like more than he us7ally plays. I thought he had a pretty good outing. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I don't see Juulsen being sent back down; imo, he's been better (in the NHL) than Burroughs and Hunt, and Sautner and Breezer, and fills a gaping hole on the right side.

Also, I don't see our new mngt keeping Lockwood down on the farm much longer once they see how he plays and uses his speed.

Klim is a year away; but who knows with Covid?

Really pleased that Lockwood was sent to Abby and kept away from the sh!t show...

He needed to work on a few things defensively, and he will be far better for it... 

Plays a game that will suit the Canucks big time... He will be a mainstay for years...if he can stay healthy.... One of my favourite prospects ...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Bailey struggled during his games this year. I actually thought he played better last year before the injury. Under BB’s plan he might do better. I would like to see one forward position kept open for players to come up from Abby and keep rotating them thru if waivers aren’t an issue. I don’t want to lose anymore players. I watched Mac in the Philly game on Saturday. Not sure his TOI but it looked like more than he us7ally plays. I thought he had a pretty good outing. 

As good as BB is as a coach I don't think it's enough to make Bailey a good NHL player. His size and wheels are so tantalizing but 90% of the time he stands out in a bad way. I'm mostly left thinking what is he doing now and why?

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Bailey is our new version of Reid Boucher...has all the skill in the world to kill it at the AHL level, only to watch it disappear in the NHL. 

Lockwood on the other hand has shown me a lot more intangibles as a bottom 6 player than Bailey has so I do think he will make the NHL one day. 

The 5 v 3 he played was amazing to watch, he was gassed at the end tho lol, his play was just fantastic...he's tired, blocks a shot, puck goes to the defensemen at the blue line, he pressures him again, only to break his stick, but since he was at the blue line he tosses his stick and jumps into the bench, fresh forward comes out, Canucks get the puck and feed it up to him to give him the short handed break away goal (I think the fresh forward was Stevens). Just pure hustle, that's NHL quality right there.

Yeah that was awesome I think he makes it too. That's my favorite type of player.

It's like Bailey doesn't make real simple hockey plays rather he's trying to use his speed all the time. That works at most levels for him but you can't just burn NHL dmen with speed all the time. I have a hard time remembering any good plays he made with teammates. I always seem to recall him kamakazeeing his way through the ozone or neutral zone one on two turning and twisting just to lose the puck in the corner or miss the net. He's still got a chance though. One thing I'll give him is he's usually pretty entertaining to watch play.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

As good as BB is as a coach I don't think it's enough to make Bailey a good NHL player. His size and wheels are so tantalizing but 90% of the time he stands out in a bad way. I'm mostly left thinking what is he doing now and why?

I think Coach could make a solid 4th line checker out of Bailey. If not that's totally on Bailey because I believe Bouds is a great coach. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah that was awesome I think he makes it too. That's my favorite type of player.

It's like Bailey doesn't make real simple hockey plays rather he's trying to use his speed all the time. That works at most levels for him but you can't just burn NHL dmen with speed all the time. I have a hard time remembering any good plays he made with teammates. I always seem to recall him kamakazeeing his way through the ozone or neutral zone one on two turning and twisting just to lose the puck in the corner or miss the net. He's still got a chance though. One thing I'll give him is he's usually pretty entertaining to watch play.

Sounds like May Ray while he was here.

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

If Bailey was physical and fought (like Lockwood) he would be in the NHL. But he's soft and and doesn't go to the net. There is a reason he is a career AHL player.

5 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

If Bailey was physical and fought (like Lockwood) he would be in the NHL. But he's soft and and doesn't go to the net. There is a reason he is a career AHL player.

We still don't know how Bailey would do under an NHL coach.  Green tends to prevent players from playing physically, and cuts players who show a willingness to drop the mitts.  It's impossible to tell how much of the issue was Green and how much was the incompetent clown we had coaching the team.  Lockwood also deserves a shot now that Green isn't there to destroy his confidence.  Either player would be a huge upgrade over Chiasson, who is worse than useless.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Bailey is our new version of Reid Boucher...has all the skill in the world to kill it at the AHL level, only to watch it disappear in the NHL. 

Lockwood on the other hand has shown me a lot more intangibles as a bottom 6 player than Bailey has so I do think he will make the NHL one day. 

The 5 v 3 he played was amazing to watch, he was gassed at the end tho lol, his play was just fantastic...he's tired, blocks a shot, puck goes to the defensemen at the blue line, he pressures him again, only to break his stick, but since he was at the blue line he tosses his stick and jumps into the bench, fresh forward comes out, Canucks get the puck and feed it up to Stevens who gets out of the penalty box (play turns to a 5 V 4) they pass it up to him to give him the short handed break away goal. Just pure hustle, that's NHL quality

Edit: i'll add in that Lockwood was the only forward out there for the entire 1 min 20 ish seconds of 5V 3, this play happens right at the end of his shift and he was still hustling. LOVE IT

Feels and sounds like Lockwood can be our new Motte. Would love for both those players to be in the line up together

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah. Reminds me of Virtanen. Tried to skate past NHL defenders, and it just didn’t work once he got to the NHL. Defenders are just as quick, and equally smart. Can’t just speed past them like in Junior, or in College. Speed does kill, but only if it’s combined with hockey IQ and mind. Without thinking the game well, the speed is useless. Goes to waste, really. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Feels and sounds like Lockwood can be our new Motte. Would love for both those players to be in the line up together

I agree, they could be a nasty duo to deal with on the 4th line. Gotta find them a center to play with!

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. Reminds me of Virtanen. Tried to skate past NHL defenders, and it just didn’t work once he got to the NHL. Defenders are just as quick, and equally smart. Can’t just speed past them like in Junior, or in College. Speed does kill, but only if it’s combined with hockey IQ and mind. Without thinking the game well, the speed is useless. Goes to waste, really. 

Too funny, yeah i've been thinking Virtanen too. He just doesn't process the game very well beyond using his speed. One trick pony so to speak.

I do think Bailey is at least willing to show he will change his game to suite a bottom 6 role tho. He's been getting some good PK reps this season on the farm. If he rounds his defensive game out then he could be a useful player. But time is running out for him at 26. The same issues we seen with him while he had his coffee in the NHL this year are the same issues I see with him on the farm. But it's the AHL and you can get away with more so he is a lot more successful.

It's kinda like Brogan Rafferty, I never seen an NHL dman in him. The mistakes he would make in the AHL would eat him alive in the NHL. People were high on Rafferty but I was never sold from what I watched of him on the farm. 

Some guys are solid career AHLer with cup of coffee call up potential...I think that's where Bailey sits, and that's not bad either. AHL is still a very tough league to play in!

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You know N4ZZY

I often wonder what a good coach would have done with Virtanen. I mean Green did not utilize McEwen or Gadjovich either. That is a lot of size to just give up on.

I am not saying any of these guys were heavy on IQ, but the truth is.................they never had a coach that utilized their skill sets.

In Virtanen's case he scored 18 and 18 one year, that is talent, and there is IQ there.............

Yes, when you put him up against Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Garland, et, he is different, but he had a high hit count and had the ability to skate..................

Funny how Rutherford says we are too slow, and we release a guy like Virtanen

Is he less that Chiasson? I doubt that. I would ask him back for a try out at  worst. I would bet he would come, ad probably with a different attitude

2 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

You know N4ZZY

I often wonder what a good coach would have done with Virtanen. I mean Green did not utilize McEwen or Gadjovich either. That is a lot of size to just give up on.

I am not saying any of these guys were heavy on IQ, but the truth is.................they never had a coach that utilized their skill sets.

In Virtanen's case he scored 18 and 18 one year, that is talent, and there is IQ there.............

Yes, when you put him up against Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, Garland, et, he is different, but he had a high hit count and had the ability to skate..................

Is he less that Chiasson? I doubt that. I would ask him back for a try out at  worst. I would bet he would come, ad probably with a different attitude

There’s slow and playing slowly.  JR pointed out that moving the puck quickly is playing fast too.  Jake processes slowly.  His feet are fast but he’s a dimwit.  So actually he plays the game slowly.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There’s slow and playing slowly.  JR pointed out that moving the puck quickly is playing fast too.  Jake processes slowly.  His feet are fast but he’s a dimwit.  So actually he plays the game slowly.  

I disagree Alf

You do not score 18 goals in the NHL if you process slow

But you will look bad if you are not put in the right scheme

Green just did not have the ability to draw it out of him regularly

and how do you know it wasn't Green and crew, as 

Wasn't he just let go for that exact thing................

IMO, some of Virtanen's problem were our expectations

Not that his off ice things did not help

but we always were comparing him to Elhers, etc

Well, it was not his fault that he was drafted in the wrong spot

IMO, he is a Greenway type player..........inconsistent, but helpful

Everybody, stayed clear of him when released because of both his on and of ice issues

But, his team mates liked him.......that says something

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

You know N4ZZY

Sorry J.I.A.H.N, Virtanen was all speed and size with no intelligence, and as the old saying goes; "you can't fix stupid" and he has been mediocre at best in the KHL

As for MacEwen and Gadjovich, both of whom I loved having on the team and wanted nothing more than to see them succeed, they were cut for a reason, they are both fringe NHLers at best. I mean you can try to blame Green for their problems  and you may be right to some extent but there is a reason that neither have had any success under a new coach on a new team and a new system. MacEwen has 2 points in 27 games on a Philly squad that is lower in the standings than Van and Gadj has 1 point and has been a healthy scratch for almost half of SJs games. And both players are averaging less ice time per game than Van's least used skater. 

Size is a great asset in the NHL, absolutely, but there still has to be the skill and intelligence go along with it in the modern NHL. Lockwood has great speed, isn't very big but plays much bigger than his actual size and has demonstrated enough intelligence to be able to read the game well enough to do the one thing that none of those other 3 player have been able to do, kill penalties.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Geez Alf

You need to do a little digging

If you look at last season, yes, you see a very non-focused player.......I wonder was there anything going on with Virtanen, last year? I think so!

But if you go back to the year before, his 18 + 18 was not the only stat worth looking at. Look at his hits per 60, or his GvA vs his TkA, where he was a net plus. Far better that Zack McEwen, who think is so awesome..............

Got to be serious once in a while Alf!

Jake was not without his warts, but his on ice contribution, was not nil, and just imagine if he had a coach. No, sorry old friend, but outside his off ice problems, his progression was looking decent. Young guys do not loose skill for nothing.........there is always underlying reasons. Jakes were self made, and the reasons for his demise. But again, Jake was liked by his team-mates. They are the judge and jury on his on ice efforts. You are going to trust Green? Be my guest!

Now, to make myself clear, Jake was not a 1st or 2nd line player, but he was developing into a decent 3rd line player.................and 2 years ago had offensive numbers, close to 1st line numbers for RWers!. #18 OA in Goals, #35 OA in assists, #32 in Points ( in the entire league), with a hell of alot less minutes than most of the guys above him. So what changed?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

4 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Sorry J.I.A.H.N, Virtanen was all speed and size with no intelligence, and as the old saying goes; "you can't fix stupid" and he has been mediocre at best in the KHL

As for MacEwen and Gadjovich, both of whom I loved having on the team and wanted nothing more than to see them succeed, they were cut for a reason, they are both fringe NHLers at best. I mean you can try to blame Green for their problems  and you may be right to some extent but there is a reason that neither have had any success under a new coach on a new team and a new system. MacEwen has 2 points in 27 games on a Philly squad that is lower in the standings than Van and Gadj has 1 point and has been a healthy scratch for almost half of SJs games. And both players are averaging less ice time per game than Van's least used skater. 

Size is a great asset in the NHL, absolutely, but there still has to be the skill and intelligence go along with it in the modern NHL. Lockwood has great speed, isn't very big but plays much bigger than his actual size and has demonstrated enough intelligence to be able to read the game well enough to do the one thing that none of those other 3 player have been able to do, kill penalties.

Yeah, I got carried away with the Virtanen thing, although read my last post. Virtanen was a 3rd line player 2 years ago, but his off ice issue caught up with him..........now there, is stupid!

Now, I like Lockwood and the energy he brings, so don't take me wrong, but Lockwood will only be a 4th liner (IMO)maybe fringe 3rd liner, but Virtanen at the top of his game is a net positive...................3rd liner

Virtanen is gone, so yes, I would take Lockwood over Chaisson..................but you have to expect a short often injured career IMO. I hope I am wrong!

18 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Now, to make myself clear, Jake was not a 1st or 2nd line player, but he was developing into a decent 3rd line player.................and 2 years ago had offensive numbers, close to 1st line numbers. #18 OA in Goals, #35 OA in assists, #32 in Points ( in the entire league), with a hell of alot less minutes than most of the guys above him. So what changed?

???????????

I'm so confused, are you referring to the 2019-20 season when Virtanen had 18 goals and 18 assists??

Because if you are, his 18 goals were tied for 100th in the NHL and his 18 assists were tied for 222nd in the NHL. His 36 points were tied for 161st that season. A far cry from 1st line numbers.

Or are you referring to rates per 60 as opposed to actual on ice results?

Edited by 204CanucksFan