The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

On 2017-07-21 at 8:52 AM, S'all Good Man said:

This article explains things well regarding Loui:

"Defensively, Eriksson’s played as advertised. The Canucks control the second-best rate of shot attempts with him on the ice as opposed to any other regular member of the lineup. Eriksson also has the second best impact on his linemates ability to control shot attempts at even strength.

On average, Eriksson’s linemates are better off for having him along for the ride. He’s consistently done the legwork to create an environment for sustainable offence at even strength.

You’d want that to flesh itself out by way of goals and assists, but hockey is a fickle sport. Sometimes you get the bounces, as Eriksson did when he put together a 30 goal season last year with the Boston Bruins, and other times, the only luck one can find is bad luck, and Eriksson’s used about six year’s worth and his first campaign isn’t even at a close.

Among players with 500 or more minutes at even strength, only 68 players have a lower personal shooting percentage. His on-ice shooting percentage isn’t much better, and other contextual nuggets include playing with the fifth-lowest quality of teammate by expected goals percentage among any Canucks skaters.

All this is to say that Eriksson is owed a better fate than the one he’s suffered. He’s playing tough minutes and doing everything in his power to put the team in a position to leave with their heads above water.

That doesn’t make the Canucks any better this season (or worse, depending on how nihilistic your brand of fandom) but it bodes well for Eriksson going into, at least, year two. Eriksson is in no way a bad player or one who’s even performing poorly. In fact, if you look at Expected Plus-Minus, he’s the Canucks best forward."

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/16/loui-eriksson-is-having-a-far-better-season-than-you-probably-think/

Great perspective. I fully agree. Even though his numbers in goals and assists was lower than expected he wasn't a black hole on the ice. 

Watching him score on his own team during his first game set the pace. I hate to say it but I instantly thought he was going to have a rough season.

How ever the perspective you have supports a much better season. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

hey if lotto luck happens naturally then great. But its not logical to expect it or try for it. We really have no idea what this team is going to be next season, there's some better role players, there could be some line magic (or disasters), and we may have a great goaltending duo, or something resembling Dallas. We simply don't know. 

All I'm really hoping for is that Green plays a more aggressive style than Wille D, even if it means losing 6-4 instead of 2-1 it'll be more fun to watch. 

Unless it's Dallas Eakins we're talking about :P

SWARMMMMMMM!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2017 at 7:27 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Sneak in and steal Hossa's equipment and put it in LE's locker?     

God, I hope he comes out on fire offensively to start the season. He played great away from the puck but 6 mill means he needs to be scoring as well. Looking back at his career for whatever reason, he seems to always have a hard time adjusting to new teams and systems I think A 3rd line of him Rodin and Gags could be quite interesting.

I just wonder based on Benning's proclamation. Where he said if the young guys earn it we will trade our vets.

So If Brock Goldy and jake make the team Brock with BO Goldy with the twins and Jake with Bernie Gaunce on the 4th line. Dorsett as the 13th where does that leave Sutter?

Im, not A hater of him quite the opposite just don't see where he would fit.

6 minutes ago, bp79 said:

God, I hope he comes out on fire offensively to start the season. He played great away from the puck but 6 mill means he needs to be scoring as well. Looking back at his career for whatever reason, he seems to always have a hard time adjusting to new teams and systems I think A 3rd line of him Rodin and Gags could be quite interesting.

I just wonder based on Benning's proclamation. Where he said if the young guys earn it we will trade our vets.

So If Brock Goldy and jake make the team Brock with BO Goldy with the twins and Jake with Bernie Gaunce on the 4th line. Dorsett as the 13th where does that leave Sutter?

Im, not A hater of him quite the opposite just don't see where he would fit.

I doubt very much the Canucks would sign LE this offseason if they knew how last season unfolded (not even so much for him, but the team and the resulting change in personnel) and how the prospect pool has changed....let alone their UFAs this year.   However, they did it and he is still a solid NHL player irrespective of his CAP hit - at least they are not up against said CAP at this time so it is really just money that comes from an owner who can afford it and who likely pushed to make the deal in the first place.   Two-three years down the line, it will be less convenient but perhaps easier to move too if he plays remotely close to his career averages.   The good thing is his speed and overall play did not seem bad at all last year - just horrid shooting percentage that really was a much a reflection on the system they played as the player as there was so little net pressure as they seemed reluctant to push the play at all - rather losing 2-1 than perhaps 6-4..the latter perhaps being better for both entertainment and allowing the younger players to develop a sense for offense which is something that you can lose and not find again if you get too far removed from your junior hay-days.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

IF he looks on a career year, let's say  30-35 goals.

Should we cash him in (retaining some salary) for draft picks?

ie to a team on the bubble playoff wise.

I think the majority of CDC would suggest we take whatever we can get for him with his *currently* low stock value, and would be happy to get more in return if he has a bounceback season.  The fact is that the contract he signed was expected to be reasonable at the start, but as he declined due to age it was generally considered to be too long and to expensive for what we will likely be getting in the later years.  Now that we are a full year into it without reaping many rewards, I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who felt we should continue holding his contract if there was a way out of it.

I, for one, believe that Eriksson WILL have a better season and that his scoring, defensively responsible play, and veteran experience will be beneficial to this team during the transition.  I can see why people aren't keen on his contract, but that was the price we had to pay to sign a UFA of his supposed calibre.  And if he does end up being tried out with the Sedins again and is successful, it might encourage them to keep playing for another year or two.  (For better or worse)

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think the majority of CDC would suggest we take whatever we can get for him with his *currently* low stock value, and would be happy to get more in return if he has a bounceback season.  The fact is that the contract he signed was expected to be reasonable at the start, but as he declined due to age it was generally considered to be too long and to expensive for what we will likely be getting in the later years.  Now that we are a full year into it without reaping many rewards, I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who felt we should continue holding his contract if there was a way out of it.

I, for one, believe that Eriksson WILL have a better season and that his scoring, defensively responsible play, and veteran experience will be beneficial to this team during the transition.  I can see why people aren't keen on his contract, but that was the price we had to pay to sign a UFA of his supposed calibre.  And if he does end up being tried out with the Sedins again and is successful, it might encourage them to keep playing for another year or two.  (For better or worse)

I could be way off base, but I think the Canucks will be A bubble team next year as long as marky plays the way he has shown during stints as A Starter. You look at our division. Calgary is banking on Mike Smith as there big upgrade. The Oilers live and die by McDavid and Talbot. If one of them get hurt for a bit they are in trouble. They were already weak on d now have no sekera. The ducks will start the first 6 months without Vats Lindholm and Kesler. A team that has most of their core over 30 and Gibson who hasn't proven anything And as much as I love RN even Benning who loves him refused to give him A 2-year deal.Sharks are older and worse than last year. LV and the coyotes will suck no debating that.  MY favourite thing about Chykos Pardon the spelling. iS he is proving scouting based on analytics especially in JR doesn't work. Oh, and the kings are old slow and will fight for A wild card any injuries they're done.

Meanwhile based on his trends L.E always seems to take A year to adapt to a new team. Compounding the fact he was given like A month with the twins and them dumped off to the 3rd line. Canucks have so far on paper created A much better team, one with depth. Alwhile keeping to their promise if A young guy outplays an old guy he will get the spot. 

At least this camp will actually feel like one compared to the last 2 where most of the extra bodies seemed to be fodder.

Quickly back to LE Sure, he struggled to score goals. but here is an article showing why he is important. I didn't find the article just copied and pasted from someone who did the leg work. Reminds me of Highschool minus the copy and paste we had typewriters hahahah

This article explains things well regarding Loui:

"Defensively, Eriksson’s played as advertised. The Canucks control the second-best rate of shot attempts with him on the ice as opposed to any other regular member of the lineup. Eriksson also has the second best impact on his linemates ability to control shot attempts at even strength.

On average, Eriksson’s linemates are better off for having him along for the ride. He’s consistently done the legwork to create an environment for sustainable offence at even strength.

You’d want that to flesh itself out by way of goals and assists, but hockey is a fickle sport. Sometimes you get the bounces, as Eriksson did when he put together a 30 goal season last year with the Boston Bruins, and other times, the only luck one can find is bad luck, and Eriksson’s used about six year’s worth and his first campaign isn’t even at a close.

Among players with 500 or more minutes at even strength, only 68 players have a lower personal shooting percentage. His on-ice shooting percentage isn’t much better, and other contextual nuggets include playing with the fifth-lowest quality of teammate by expected goals percentage among any Canucks skaters.

All this is to say that Eriksson is owed a better fate than the one he’s suffered. He’s playing tough minutes and doing everything in his power to put the team in a position to leave with their heads above water.

That doesn’t make the Canucks any better this season (or worse, depending on how nihilistic your brand of fandom) but it bodes well for Eriksson going into, at least, year two. Eriksson is in no way a bad player or one who’s even performing poorly. In fact, if you look at Expected Plus-Minus, he’s the Canucks best forward."

Wasn't this article *just* posted?  

I agree with what you said though.  It's not a popular opinion, but I believe we have a playoff team next season.  Make no mistake about it - we are unlikely to compete for the cup, but I expect us to be FAR better than our finish last season suggests.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

IF he looks on a career year, let's say  30-35 goals.

Should we cash him in (retaining some salary) for draft picks?

ie to a team on the bubble playoff wise.

He's got a NMC for next year so we'd have to get his permission first.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 0:40 PM, S'all Good Man said:

hey if lotto luck happens naturally then great. But its not logical to expect it or try for it. We really have no idea what this team is going to be next season, there's some better role players, there could be some line magic (or disasters), and we may have a great goaltending duo, or something resembling Dallas. We simply don't know. 

All I'm really hoping for is that Green plays a more aggressive style than Wille D, even if it means losing 6-4 instead of 2-1 it'll be more fun to watch. 

As many know I'm no Willie fan.As pointed out we have no clue what the on ice changes will look like. The deck chairs have been shuffled and now we wait.

How ever the coaching change should give people some hope be cause we know one thing, a new coach means a different system, out right change in team character. 

Vancouver's play the last few seasons has mirrored the boring, stale, conservative personality of WD.

I think we're going to see a energized team this season with a coach that treats his players like men rather than being a mother hen.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

As many know I'm no Willie fan.As pointed out we have no clue what the on ice changes will look like. The deck chairs have been shuffled and now we wait.

How ever the coaching change should give people some hope be cause we know one thing, a new coach means a different system, out right change in team character. 

Vancouver's play the last few seasons has mirrored the boring, stale, conservative personality of WD.

I think we're going to see a energized team this season with a coach that treats his players like men rather than being a mother hen.  

I kind of don't want Loui to get going until the 2018/2019 season.  This year's draft is just too good at the top for him to help us get 14 to 20 place.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I kind of don't want Loui to get going until the 2018/2019 season.  This year's draft is just too good at the top for him to help us get 14 to 20 place.

Hoping it's going enough that a contender thinks he's worth a trade. (and he accepts)

• Upvote 2

Man... 2016 Free agency was dreadful... here's all the big money guys with term. Hoping Loui doesn't turn out to be the worst signing... so far, it certainly looks like he is. 

Kyle Okposo RW BUF NYI 7YEARS:        $6 million
David Backes C/RW BOS STL        5YEARS: $6 million
Loui Eriksson W VAN BOS   6YEARS: $6 million
Milan Lucic LW EDM LA YEARS:7 $6 million

Alexander Radulov RW MON KHL     YEARS:1 $5.75 million
Andrew Ladd LW NYI CHI         YEARS:7    $5.5 million
Troy Brouwer RW CGY STL        YEARS:4   $4.5 million
Mikkel Boedker W SJ COL       YEARS:4    $4 million
Frans Nielson C DET NYI                   YEARS:6       5.25 million
Edited by apollo