The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What kind of festivals/concerts have you been to? w/ poll

Mainly Mattias

What kind of festivals/concerts have you been to?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

way to many to list but this one was pretty memorable...smoked a doobie with the lead singer of Fishbone and then saw Tool on a little side stage with about 20 other people...really intimate affair.

28022058826_0ab7b48e8e_b.jpg

3 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

damn, the real highlight here, for me, is Dinosaur Jr.

in 1993 they released 'Where You Been?' - for my money, one of the best albums of the 90s. Mascis is such a great guitarist. back when i finally got a guitar, i couldn't decide if i wanted to go the Sonic Youth (Jaguar) route, or the Dino Jr (jazzmaster) route. I chose the jag, but still, Mascis is in my top 5 players for sure.

Never realized Front 242 was at Lollapalooza, damn.  Granted I was 13 at that time so wouldn't have been into that music at the time.

Most memorable concert for me easily was Einsterzende Neubauten back in the early 2000s at the Commodore.  I remember waiting in line for the concert, seeing the expected huddles of Goths and Hipsters but further down was a little old lady in a pink sweater.  We thought it was odd, there was a musical next door, perhaps she got the lines confused?

Once we got in though, that wasn't the case.  The sweet lady was in her 80s, had seen Neubauten back in 1986 and vowed to come back when they played again.  Almost 20 years later, she lived up to her promise.  Heh, I think everyone there adopted a Grandma that night.

As for the concert, Neubauten lived up to their billing, tons of mood and energy.  Blixa Bargeld was magnificent as the frontman, so much charisma.  Other notable concerts would have been Front 242, Assemblage 23, Dismantled, and VNV Nation.

The Kinks is one of my all time favourite bands because they were different, and could still rock out the tunes and do ballads. 

My assumption either the Davies brothers had a tiff prior to the show. (The show was 30 minutes late at the PC) Perhaps

they were under the weather?

They did a very quick and fast set (an hour?). No encores. Only played their new stuff, (Basically their 80's material)

and did nothing from the 60's and 70's. Musically they were superb. That's why I was disappointed. Maybe they were sick?

Ray and Dave fought a lot (Sort of like Oasis did later on). So maybe it was just a bad night. I was hoping for more and the

audience was dissapointed as well. 

I'm jealous of anyone that got to see Australian bands in their prime. My Brother got to see The Angels(Angel City) at UBC. 

They would have been loud and amazing. 

Shambalah x7 (helped build a lot of the infrastructure)

Burning man x2

Tall Trees

Riot Fest

Still Dream (post burning man northern california x2)

SXSW x2

Coachella x2

Apex Project

Merrit Mountain Music fest x3

Armstrong Metal Fest x2

Summer Love x4

Ozzfest x3

Bumbershoot x5

Countless hole in the wall bar concerts and stadium shows.

I love music <3  I don't know any recent bands any better than I know the new prospects for say the Hurricanes but I still go whenever possible.

My advice to anyone as a parent of 2 who either has or is having kid(s)

Take them.  Don't be like me, don't let having kids ruin your festival experience.  It's going to be a huge logistical and responsibility nightmare.  but do it; take your kids and still go.  Find quieter places to camp; you'll meet amazing people, and your kids will remember those moments more than they'd remember disney land or crap like that

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Never realized Front 242 was at Lollapalooza, damn.  Granted I was 13 at that time so wouldn't have been into that music at the time.

Most memorable concert for me easily was Einsterzende Neubauten back in the early 2000s at the Commodore.  I remember waiting in line for the concert, seeing the expected huddles of Goths and Hipsters but further down was a little old lady in a pink sweater.  We thought it was odd, there was a musical next door, perhaps she got the lines confused?

Once we got in though, that wasn't the case.  The sweet lady was in her 80s, had seen Neubauten back in 1986 and vowed to come back when they played again.  Almost 20 years later, she lived up to her promise.  Heh, I think everyone there adopted a Grandma that night.

As for the concert, Neubauten lived up to their billing, tons of mood and energy.  Blixa Bargeld was magnificent as the frontman, so much charisma.  Other notable concerts would have been Front 242, Assemblage 23, Dismantled, and VNV Nation.

Haha, that's awesome!

Way back when, in the northern logging town I grew up in my buddy would wear this DOA shirt and nobody knew who that was...except this one weird old lady who was our english teacher. She asked him one day, is that the band DOA?

We couldn't believe she knew who that was, but she said, yeah, the lead singer used to date my daughter so they all lived at my house!

My Festivals only (no single concerts)

Rock On 22 - Halifax, N.S. - 1974

Chuck Berry (late as usual)

Sha Na Na

Rare Earth

Dr. John

Billy Preston

Brownsville Station

Wolfman Jack (MC)

+ local acts

Alberta Jam I - Calgary, AB - 1979

Elvin Bishop (no show)

Jay Ferguson

Pat Travers

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush

Charlie Daniels Band

Cheap Trick

Prism

90 + degrees, then 1 hour of hail & rain, then 80 + degrees.

Alberta Jam II - Calgary, AB - 1980

Tom Cochrane & Red Rider

Loverboy

Hoyt Axton

Long John Baldry

+ some bands I don't remember due to too much partying, lots of rain.

Alberta Jam III - Southern Fried Sunday - Calgary, AB - 1981

ZZ Top

Matt Minglewood Band

Point Blank

Commander Cody

Atlanta Rhythm Section

Sidewinder

MacLean & MacLean (MCs)

Monsters of Rock - Calgary, AB  - 2008

Ozzy

Judas Priest

Cavalera Conspiracy

Priestess

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Serj Tankian

Zimmers Hole

Testament

Shadows Fall

Voivod

Hatebreed

Flood Aid - Calgary, AB - 2013

Nickelback

Jann Arden

Randy Bachman

Tom Cochrane

Matthew Good

Colin James

Loverboy

Corb Lund

Johnny Reid

The Sadies

Ian Tyson

Brett Butt (MC)

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

haha, good story.  guess she got into it in her 60s then.

tried out some of EN's stuff.  don't think i'm patient enough for it. =P

some of you guys are REALLY REALLY into festivals/concerts.  i'm having a good time looking up some of the shows that you guys are listing.  a real world wide collection.

46 minutes ago, Mainly Mattias said:

haha, good story.  guess she got into it in her 60s then.

tried out some of EN's stuff.  don't think i'm patient enough for it. =P

some of you guys are REALLY REALLY into festivals/concerts.  i'm having a good time looking up some of the shows that you guys are listing.  a real world wide collection.

The album is Perpetuum Mobile is probably their most accessible.  But yeah, totally understand that they're not for everyone.

7 hours ago, Svengali said:

Canuck Surfer, one of my favourite current Aussie bands is Nun. Do you know them? I've been listening to their album a lot over the last two years because they're hilariously great and I love it. If I was a big record label guy I'd sign them up in a heartbeat:

Hide contents

Awesome band.  I usually don't go synth or punk much.  But the singer is dynamite and they have it.

My friend, he's a from Penticton, seen them here in Melbourne at a hotel gig just before Christmas.  Says we have to go before they get too big. Perfect small venue band. 

7 hours ago, Svengali said:

Been to so many but some of my favs would be ...

The Grateful Dead (a bunch of times as a teenager in the 90s before Jerry Garcia died)
Bob Dylan (didn't understand a single word and it was fantastic)
PJ Harvey
Nick Cave

Page and Plant

SRV (I was in high school and this one was 1 month before he died)
The Cure
REM (was never a fan but it was fun enough to include it here)
The Roots
Dick Dale (because I stood right in the front center and could have touched him if I was more of a weirdo)

And every other genre listed in the poll (though you forgot reggae). Too many seedy blues bars and jazz clubs to count.

I'll add one of my strangest and most fun musical experiences which was a Spanish gypsy flamenco group that I ended up playing with in a bar in Budapest for a week while stuck in a snowstorm. (sounds Tarantino-esque but there was no shootout) The quick guitar and rapid handclapping and the spinning dancing was all so amazing right up close in person. So much fun. (plus they told me every gypsy street trick in the book to watch out for from then on anywhere in Europe)

Also my stupidest, which was I once hung out with Nina Persson thinking she was just another beautiful Swedish girl not realizing she was actually the singer for The Cardigans, haha. Ugh ...

that lovefool video ;o ;o ;o

when/where did you see PJ Harvey? she doesn't tour much, it seems.

also, shame on you for not liking REM

Lollapalooza 92 was fun. T-bird stadium. The acts were:

chilli peppers

soundgarden (when they were fn amazing)

pearl jam

ice cube

the Jesus and Mary chain

and ministry! They stole the show. Caved in my chest with bass and volume.

pearl jam earlier in '92 was my first real concert.  It was outdoor at the plaza of nations.

radiohead at tbird stadium.  I think 2001.  What can I say?  I was a huge fan up to that era.  I don't think Kid A was released yet so the show was mostly ok computer.  Yeah it was unreal.

a show that blew me away and I wasn't expecting it was a band called the Gaza Strippers on a Sunday night some bar downtown. Super awesome guitar punk.  It was so loud that dust was lifting off of beams and stuff near the ceiling and coming down on the 100 or so lucky people.  Proper rock.  Everyone sweaty and standing at the stage.  I remember reading in the Sun later, and to my surprise, I guess some reviewer was there and listed it as top three shows of that year.

every rocket from the crypt show I saw was awesomeness.  Seen them about 5x

and you will know us by the trail of dead at dicks on dicks was definitely a standout

eagles of death metal at the commodore was super fun 

Tower of power was a blast

mastodon just after crack the Skye was released played at the commodore. They are hit or miss live but that show was on point.  Played the whole album straight through with no breaks.

been to bumbershoot in Seattle and saw sonic youth. They totally let me down because I loved that band in my teens.  They were so pretentious and basically made feedback for 40 minutes and walked off.

NOFX at the star fish room I think about '93......one of the best and worst crowds of all time. Total gong show.

dozens of indie and punk, emo, hardcore shows in my youth at dives and basements all over Vancouver.

tom Jones at bc place

fugazi a couple times.  One of my favourite all time bands.

iron maiden was fun.  Everyone air guitaring at the same time! Ha!

yeah live music is good for you.

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Awesome band.  I usually don't go synth or punk much.  But the singer is dynamite and they have it.

My friend, he's a from Penticton, seen them here in Melbourne at a hotel gig just before Christmas.  Says we have to go before they get too big. Perfect small venue band. 

Ha that's great that he's seen them. You've got to as well.
I have a very good friend in Aus and one of these days when I finally get over my crippling fear of giant spiders dropping from the ceiling into my lap I'll go down there and want to see Nun and a bunch of other bands.

Since you're in Melbourne, have you ever seen Eddy Current Suppression Ring?

(I definitely don't like all of their music but have loved Get Up Morning for ages now, it's so good, haha)

Spoiler

11 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

that lovefool video ;o ;o ;o

when/where did you see PJ Harvey? she doesn't tour much, it seems.

also, shame on you for not liking REM

There's no fighting that one, you just have to give in to it.

That PJ show was in Denmark in the 90s, she was still raw and angry at that point. And she just this week headlined Roskilde 2016, now with all her superpowers almost fully developed. (Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea will always be in my top 20 albums).  

I know ... just never took to REM. The drummer's eyebrows probably did it. Have always loved Shiny Happy People though.

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

tom Jones at bc place

GlTwCV.gif

Way back we had Summer Sundays.  A blur.

Zeppelin

The Who

Queen

Fleetwood Mac

Heart

Goddo

Max Webster

Frank Zappa

Supertramp

Chuck Berry

Jimmy Buffet

Elvin Bishop

Foreigner

Rush

Nazareth

Pearl Jam

Matt Good

Holly McNarland

The Hip

Moist

Killers

Franz Ferdinand

Death Cab For Cutie

Pretenders

Cat Power

To be cont'd (rattled off the top of my head).  I love music, always have.  With ticket prices being what they are, have to be more selective now.  But I will always see Pearl Jam...forever after until I die.  :)

My first concert was Bush.  I saw them at Key Arena in Seattle in 1997.  Soul or Souls and Veruca Salt were their opening bands.  After seeing Veruca Salt, they were my new found love.  After that, I went to Bumbershoot.  Then I saw Oasis at the Mercer Arena in January of 1998. Then there was Hole.  It was Courtney Love everything for me in the 1990's.  I saw them at the Deck the Hall Ball.  Oh my, I was so excited to see Hole!  I loved Hole! I loved Celebrity Skin as well as Live Through This!  I loved Garbage too!  Which they were there too, as well as other bands.  I would have seen Hole again with Marilyn Manson, but my parents but the kaboosh to that, but then again, that was a short lived tour. 

I moved to Seattle in 2001 to start college, and saw many shows after that.  I saw Sonic Youth at Bumbershoot.  That was amazing. As well as seeing Weezer at Bumbershoot many years later, and Hole again as well.  I also saw REM at Bumbershoot, They had cheat sheets for one of their songs that they could not remember the words to, and at the end of the song, Michael Stipe threw the sheets into the crowd, and I got one, and it had eye liner on it, and all I could think of was - yeah, Michael Stipe's eye liner!  

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:46 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

Always wanted to but none of my friends are into the music I like and I can't find it in me to go alone.

Pemberton will be my first fest with a couple buddies and I'll probably ditch em for a few acts like Pearl Jam and Mastodon.

I've been to some amazing shows by myself.  It's great doing things by myself. 

I was lucky enough to catch The Cramps in late '80's, Bauhaus and Janes Addiction in the 90's. Pearl Jam lots including Lolapalooza. Metallica, Bowie, Depeche Mode, Hip, 54-40, The Cure in '87.

2 favs: Debbie Harry, The Tom Tom Club and Ramones playing outdoors at the PNE.

Best: GNR opening for the Cult in '87, 2 weeks after Apetite for Destruction dropped. Slash was mesmerizing!!!

Archived