The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign G Jacob Markstrom [3 year x 3.67M AAV]

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Have to give Benning credit. This is a good contract. Including next year, Marky is now in the fold for 4 years, which seems fine as far as term is concerned: long enough to provide some cost certainty and short enough so that if Demko is ready to be #1 four years down the road, the Canucks are not locked into Markstrom as #1.

The amount is less than I expected. I thought that what might happen is that the Canucks would wait until late in the season and, if Marky was playing well and had taken over at #1, we would be looking at a bigger number -- maybe 4 to 5 million per year.

By doing it now, the Canucks are paying less, although obviously there is always the risk that this year will show Marky to be not as good as we thought. But I think that is a low-probability risk.

So I like this move. (But it is weird to be in a universe where Marky as a UFA gets almost exactly the same as Sbisa got as an RFA.)

More generally, I thought Benning's early salary negotiations did not go well but, as with most things, he has improved with experience. The most recent deals -- Markstrom, Baertschi, and Etem -- are all good deals. And the Eriksson UFA deal is also okay given how expensive it is to sign high-end UFAs. This is a big improvement over some of the early deals like Miller, Sbisa, and Dorsett.

Now the really interesting contracts will the RFA deals for Gudbranson, Horvat, Hutton and Tryamkin, all of which will come up at some point in the next year.

I think it's a supply and demand kind of deal. The goalie market is flooded with solid to great goaltenders. Good D-Men, as seen by this summer's trades, are a rarer commodity at the moment. 

Boy am I ever embarassed of the total amount of non-fans posing as Canuck fans here on CDC... Never happy and mostly just bashing the team, individual players, the GM and now the Prez of course. After all these years as a Canuck fan, I can't say I've ever seen a year when there were as many fans hating our own team and second guessing every move. It's been getting worse by the year for a very long time and it's really sad to see. I hope all of you non-supporting Canuck fans are happy with yourselves!

Just don't think he has earned it yet but buying out two years of UFA.  He just has not got that many games.  Prior to this season was very disappointing and has never been a starter, injury relief is not a starter if is a backups job.  

In the end may be very good value and shouldn't hurt us.  

Then again show me an NHL contract that I think is fair, they are few and far between.

13 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Boy am I ever embarassed of the total amount of non-fans posing as Canuck fans here on CDC... Never happy and mostly just bashing the team, individual players, the GM and now the Prez of course. After all these years as a Canuck fan, I can't say I've ever seen a year when there were as many fans hating our own team and second guessing every move. It's been getting worse by the year for a very long time and it's really sad to see. I hope all of you non-supporting Canuck fans are happy with yourselves!

Half the people on here couldn't run a lemonade stand let alone an 800 million dollar franchise. 

It's better to not take things on here too seriously.

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Just don't think he has earned it yet but buying out two years of UFA.  He just has not got that many games.  Prior to this season was very disappointing and has never been a starter, injury relief is not a starter if is a backups job.  

Then again show me an NHL contract that I think is fair, they are few and far between.

Regardless of his play, the year after he will be a starter for us and just for that he's earned this type of contract.

The fact that it's a 3 year term and not longer is because he hasn't proven to be a viable starter.

16 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

That is becuase we have had a winner and some that is all they know.i been a fan for 40 years or so and i have seen the team worse off then this.Vancouver is an interesting place we almost lost the team.I back them and love what benning and Linden are doing.if you ever played any sport or watched you know you need two things above all,goaltending and defense which we seem to have.Now we need a few forwards to round it all out and next year boeser should help there.Any person not liking where the team is going welcome to the early years of the canucks wich was way worse.

3 hours ago, Type R said:

A little higher than what I was hoping, comparing to Vasilevskiy this makes Markstrom a little more expensive.

Its a great signing.

Markstrom could have played out this year and been UFA, likely with 35 to 45 starts. And gone to market as a starter able to talk to anyone he wanted? Odds are as UFA he would have been paid a lot more.

Him committing to us this summer is a sign this is a guy who believes in our team and wants to be here!

Welcome Jacob! :towel: 

38 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

All 3 years on this deal were UFA years.

1 hour ago, chickenman92 said:

Yes. He wins more than he loses and he's done that on some bad teams. I believe he was even right around .500 on the NHLs worst team last year.

Where has he won more than lost exactly on a bad team? After 2013 (where he played only 31 games for Toronto that season), he's had a losing record up until San Jose after he got traded last year.... where he played a whole whopping 8 games for a good team....

That doesn't exactly back up your statement....

Bit of a gamble by both sides...think much more so "management".

I'm still not sold on Marky as a top 10 #1 guy in this league.  If he plays lites out and supplants Miller as #1, we probably saved .75-1m.  If he craps the bed,he  is prob gonna be a career back up, and we overpaid by 1.25-1.75 million. Don't forget this is a guy who cleared waivers a little over a year ago.

Hope I'm wrong...really like the guy, and his size. 

It would be great to have a starter at that price tag.

Great signing by JB. Thought it would be below $4 million but considering Markstrom had some leverage considering he was a UFA next summer I think JB did real gud to get him under $4 million and for only 3 years, which takes Markstrom through 3 of his UFA years. 

This offseason is shaping up to be one of the better ones I've seen in awhile.  And I've seen about 38 of them since the mid 1970's.

In one offseason Benning has basically solidified our goaltending for the next 5-10 years with the signing of Demko and extension of Markstrom. They could be the best one two punch in the NHL in the next 2-3 years.  He has also reshaped our defence with the trade for Guds, the drafting of Juolevi and to a lesser extent the signing of Larsen who could become a great addition to our PP.  He also went out and got a legit 30 goal scorer to play with the Sedins. AND he's still not finished yet as he has stated he's looking for a top 6 power forward type scoring winger. If he can land that player without giving up the farm then you can make an argument this could end up being the best Cancuks offseason ever. 

Kudos to Benning for the terrific offseason he is having so far. He is definitely slowly but surely leading us one step closer to the ultimate prize...

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

Whom do we expose at the expansion draft for our goalie? Extend Miller for a year to expose him?

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Good deal. Short enough term that it's not going to hamstring us if Marky doesn't pan out as a starter and the cap is low enough that we are golden if he does.

This raises an interesting conundrum for #Canucks: which G will they expose in expansion draft? Markstrom is only G under contract.

I'm not entirely sure on the rules, but I didn't know we had to expose a goalie. I guess we will have to trade for a goalie with some term prior to the expansion draft? We will need a backup for next year anyways.

^

^^

This is an interesting question?  Garteig and Demko are exempt. Miller will be gone.

Even Richard Backman's contract > my understanding is as long as its an NHL contract, which it is, are eligible < is expiring.  We could re-sign Backman?  

Which also calls up the subsequent discussion, no doubt beat to death in the Garteig thread, is who plays in Utica, who in Kalamazoo, among Garteig, Demko, Backman?  Hard to re-sign Backman if we bury him?

I don't think there is any rule against exposing a guy, say Garteig, who at less than 2 years on an NHL deal is exempt?

@DeNiro would probably have a good suggestion?

The net summary suggests we should trade Miller at some point in the season. With a backup goalie and futures as the return. I would further not be surprised to see any Kalamazoo backup goalie also suddenly owning an NHL deal??? :rolleyes:

Archived