The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign G Jacob Markstrom [3 year x 3.67M AAV]

23 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

So no one on here is at all nervous that Benning just locked up a goalie to be the projected No. 1 in a season, who has a career 26-43-9 record? I like Markstrom and I think he has some room to get better and be a true starter, but so far he's been an average backup goalie with less than 100 NHL starts. 

James Reimer is by far a more established goalie and he takes up about 250K less cap. 

Committing that kind of cap space to a guy who might never be anything more than a backup seems a little risky. 

I wonder who they're planning on having as the backup in 17-18? I know fans will say Demko, but I'm not sure how ready he'll be, nor am I sure starting only 25ish games is good for his development. 

didnt you watch him steal games behind a defence that featured bartkowski, weber and a revolving door of AHL guys?

This guy was once ranked as one of the top goalie prospects in the world.  I think the contract is more than fair and he will be a solid goalie.

Could be a huge bargain in a couple years. Worst case scenario, an easily movable contract. Even if Demko could jump in sooner than later, he'll still be on an entry level for a while. So we could have a very affordable goaltender situation for a while. Nothing to dislike about this deal.

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

I was thinking he'd be a $2M backup to Miller but he's pretty much right at sharing starts rather than backing up at this stage. If anything, once Miller's contract is done then we have a decent starter with potential to be better at just a tad over $3.5M

He is getting $1.6MM in backup money this coming season.

This deal is a 3-year extension that doesn't kick in until 2017-2018 season after Miller is gone and he becomes the number one guy here.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Are some people really comparing Markstrom to Reimer?

Reimer is 28 and being paid 3.4 mil to be a backup. Markstrom is 26 and will be getting 3.6 as a starter.

Horrible comparison.

mmmm...i'll agree its a horrible comparison as i believe markstrom is a far superior goaltender.

i don't agree with your argumentation though, markstrom has yet to prove much at 26 (despite what we can all see) whereas reimer has solidified himself as a goaltender worth 3.4m.

here's hoping that in a years time 3.6m will look like a huge steal, i believe it will.

9 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

So no one on here is at all nervous that Benning just locked up a goalie to be the projected No. 1 in a season, who has a career 26-43-9 record? I like Markstrom and I think he has some room to get better and be a true starter, but so far he's been an average backup goalie with less than 100 NHL starts. 

James Reimer is by far a more established goalie and he takes up about 250K less cap. 

Committing that kind of cap space to a guy who might never be anything more than a backup seems a little risky. 

I wonder who they're planning on having as the backup in 17-18? I know fans will say Demko, but I'm not sure how ready he'll be, nor am I sure starting only 25ish games is good for his development. 

Yeah I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is a home run. Marky has been okay but his numbers have been fairly average. 

To put it this way...

If we just traded for a goalie with his numbers and his price tag (the extension) people would be freaking out. 

It's not that I don't think he maybe COULD be a good goalie...I'm just nervous about putting up that kind of money for a 26 year old goalie with pretty average stats. 

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

mmmm...i'll agree its a horrible comparison as i believe markstrom is a far superior goaltender.

i don't agree with your argumentation though, markstrom has yet to prove much at 26 (despite what we can all see) whereas reimer has solidified himself as a goaltender worth 3.4m.

here's hoping that in a years time 3.6m will look like a huge steal, i believe it will.

Well regardless of how much he's proven he's going to be our starter when Miller's gone. Him and his agent can clearly see that, so I doubt they're going to take 2.5 million to be a starter in this market.

We'll have to wait and see how he handles it, but 3.6 mil for a starter is great value. They're obviously making a commitment to him, and I don't see why they wouldn't. He's progressed very well since arriving here.

Awesome news and awesome cap hit. We will be paying him approx 2 million more than we will this coming season, but will drop Miller, so almost 4 million net gain on space after next season.

Sign a 1 million backup and someone we can lose to expansion draft and we're all set!

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Are some people really comparing Markstrom to Reimer?

Reimer is 28 and being paid 3.4 mil to be a backup. Markstrom is 26 and will be getting 3.6 as a starter.

Horrible comparison.

I dunno man, out of "active" goalies in the NHL markstrom is #56 in the league for career wins. Has a below average s% and gaa. But this is the boom or bust year... Because I think the landscape of goalies will change drastically with reduced equip size. 

I think most starters hit their stride between 22 and 27, but a lot start to decline at 33-35.

I mean look at guys like Holtby, Price, Bobrovsky, Fleury, Bishop, Mrazek, Rask, Howard. These are guys that you knew at 22ish were gonna be starters, not going geez, I hope we develop them and they can be a respectable starter at 28-30 years old.

Archived