The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking the Leagues 31 GMs - Is JB the Worst NHL GM?

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Top owners came out today...

Canucks are 20th

Leafs are 3rd

Leafs have been tops in everything so far. Kinda wonder how they finished DEAD LAST LAST YEAR and have only made the playoffs once in the last decade plus. 

I'm more surprised at the fact that the Canucks are not last.

8 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Canucks are 20th

Leafs are 3rd

Leafs have been tops in everything so far. Kinda wonder how they finished DEAD LAST LAST YEAR and have only made the playoffs once in the last decade plus. 

I guess it's all about setting the right goals. 

Goal: Ice a competitive team, go for a cup. Failed? MORONS ALL OF YOU. 

Goal: Last place finish. Accomplished. GENIUS

22 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Canucks are 20th

Leafs are 3rd

From an ownership standpoint I can see the Leafs being much higher than us, but realistically from a GM standpoint no. 

The goal should be to be competitive every single year and challenge qualify for playoffs so you have a shot at the cup. Only team to consistently make the playoffs is Detroit.

1 minute ago, LuckyLuciano said:

From an ownership standpoint I can see the Leafs being much higher than us, but realistically from a GM standpoint no. 

The goal should be to be competitive every single year and challenge qualify for playoffs so you have a shot at the cup. Only team to consistently make the playoffs is Detroit.

Meh. For me ownership should get top makes for 

Not meddling 

Spending to the cap ceiling

Staying away from bad press

I don't see what they do other than sign cheques. 

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

I guess it's all about setting the right goals. 

Goal: Ice a competitive team, go for a cup. Failed? MORONS ALL OF YOU. 

Goal: Last place finish. Accomplished. GENIUS

The funny thing is GMs have no control of where they finish with the draft lottery the way it is.

So including drafting first overall based on a random draft lottery as an accomplishment is absolutely ridiculous.

18 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think the biggest issue they have on Benning is he doesn't seem to be fully committed to either a full playoff push or a full rebuild.. he's stuck somewhere in the retool stage that we've been in since hell since gillis was here.. while we have some good decent prospects.. roster spot wise on the team that allows them to excel is limited by older vets... and a lot of this ranking is probably going to be based on his inability to move any players at the trade deadline.. partially his fault and partially not.. 

Good post....Only results will absolve JB from media criticism...It all comes down to 'is there a proper way to retool/rebuild..?..JB is going against the grain...and,well,its "Benning"..That seems to be the mindset.

Bennings inability to move players at the deadline was a PR fail,whether it was his fault or not....The media feasted on it,while praising the Leafs.

Totally agree with his ranking.

There are few if any positive stories written about JB since he took over and as much as the tin foilhat wearing    benning homers would have you believe it's the bias media or hate for this franchise  and it simply isn't. If he were the gm of any other team the same people on cdc defending him would be laughing at him and calling him horrible.

He has the franchise worst records to prove he's right there with nonis and Keenan. 

His asset management has been easily the worst in the league. 

At some point the homers have to realize that maybe just maybe the rest of the world, paid professionals and most of the gms around the league are right and the un paid self proclaimed experts basing there opinions on there own beliefs are and have been wrong.

This will be benning last season as a gm with vancouver.

19 minutes ago, combover said:

Totally agree with his ranking.

There are few if any positive stories written about JB since he took over and as much as the tin foilhat wearing    benning homers would have you believe it's the bias media or hate for this franchise  and it simply isn't. If he were the gm of any other team the same people on cdc defending him would be laughing at him and calling him horrible.

He has the franchise worst records to prove he's right there with nonis and Keenan. 

His asset management has been easily the worst in the league. 

At some point the homers have to realize that maybe just maybe the rest of the world, paid professionals and most of the gms around the league are right and the un paid self proclaimed experts basing there opinions on there own beliefs are and have been wrong.

This will be benning last season as a gm with vancouver.

How to troll:

1. Call everyone else "homers"

2. Say as much negative as possible.

3. Continue to state negative without any factual evidence.

4. Claim it's "Benning's last season" because you're all prophet-like and know everything that will happen in the future.

Well done sir, you've figured out how to troll. *slow clap*

Pretty sad how being lucky and winning the draft lottery and deliberetly tanking a season and taking advantage of the income generated from hard working honest fans can make one a good GM

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Pretty sad how being lucky and winning the draft lottery and deliberetly tanking a season and taking advantage of the income generated from hard working honest fans can make one a good GM

I'm not sure it's just that. Moving Phaneuf without retention, getting 2 2nds for Polak, getting a 2nd+ for Daniel winnik is pretty good business. Those are bottom pairing/4th line guys that fetched premium returns. 

40 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

I'm not sure it's just that. Moving Phaneuf without retention, getting 2 2nds for Polak, getting a 2nd+ for Daniel winnik is pretty good business. Those are bottom pairing/4th line guys that fetched premium returns. 

Getting next to nothing for Kessel and retaining his salary kind of balances out those moves though.

On 8/3/2016 at 3:30 PM, Aircool said:

Jim Benning is one of the best Assistant GMs in the league, the problem is that Francesco Aquilini is the worst GM in the league. 

Just keep pumping that garbage.  At least you have rumours, assumptions, and an agenda to go on.  It's really a very solid opinion.  You're just nailing it.

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Just keep pumping that garbage.  At least you have rumours, assumptions, and an agenda to go on.  It's really a very solid opinion.  You're just nailing it.

Sorry Truck.  Do you agree with Aircool's view that Aqulini is guiding the GM's retooling philosophy?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sorry Truck.  Do you agree with Aircool's view that Aqulini is guiding the GM's retooling philosophy?  

God...how do you get that?  No.  The idea that ownership is playing a puppet game is one of the dumbest totally baseless fantasies happening on here.  ("Well I heard he hired Torts, so there you go...." - it's strong stuff.)

Archived