The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michel Therrien exposed for calling Pacioretty the worst captain in Habs history?

Odd.

Torts specifically called out Paccioretty in the post game presser against Canada after getting spanked in the second game.

Thought it was weird that the only player that Torts referenced was Max, saying he needed more from him...in the second of back to back and an exhibition game to boot.

My first thought was way to old school motivate Torts. But then I see this thread and think maybe there's something we don't see about him. 

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Check that list.....he probably is....it's a pretty freaking high standard set there. 

That's just what I was gonna say.  Someone has to be the worst.  There's a whole tonne of guys he can't compare to, obviously.  I would have to be in the room to know, but I never thought much of Gionta.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Torts specifically called out Paccioretty in the post game presser against Canada after getting spanked in the second game.

Thought it was weird that the only player that Torts referenced was Max, saying he needed more from him...in the second of back to back and an exhibition game to boot.

My first thought was way to old school motivate Torts. But then I see this thread and think maybe there's something we don't see about him. 

I think he's like Thornton and Nash. All the skill in the world, but not always enough passion and effort.

That must drive coaches crazy. They see other guys busting their butts, earning their ice time. And then there's star players that just go through the motions only playing hard when they feel like it.

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

The Habs are being run by a bunch of meatheads. 

Such a treasured franchise, being run into the ground because they insist on sticking with French people. 

Kind of strange how hockey produces a disproportionate amount of hockey personnel (mostly coaches) who have French Canadian names but cannot speak French.

In any case, I think it is important to have a coach who can speak well with the media and keep fans happy.  Vigneault was actually a pretty good interviewer.  Tortorella... could be fun to watch and listen to but kept things pretty close to the chest.  Willie Desjardins (disregarding my own disdain for him) is very poor on the mic.  It is just so boring to listen to his interviews.  Local media, for better or for worse (much worse), has considerable influence over its city's hockey club and VERY MUCH so in Canadian cities.  In the end, the NHL is a business and you want media to help boost public perception.  Do you think WD will ever be able to boost public perception with his words?

Canada is still French enough to make great players and great coaches, so it should not be difficult to find another Francophone coach.  When a huge part of your fanbase is Francophone, it is probably a good idea to do that.  In all honesty the Canadiens should sack Therrien and make a run for Bob Hartley or something.  

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Kind of strange how hockey produces a disproportionate amount of hockey personnel (mostly coaches) who have French Canadian names but cannot speak French.

In any case, I think it is important to have a coach who can speak well with the media and keep fans happy.  Vigneault was actually a pretty good interviewer.  Tortorella... could be fun to watch and listen to but kept things pretty close to the chest.  Willie Desjardins (disregarding my own disdain for him) is very poor on the mic.  It is just so boring to listen to his interviews.  Local media, for better or for worse (much worse), has considerable influence over its city's hockey club and VERY MUCH so in Canadian cities.  In the end, the NHL is a business and you want media to help boost public perception.  Do you think WD will ever be able to boost public perception with his words?

Canada is still French enough to make great players and great coaches, so it should not be difficult to find another Francophone coach.  When a huge part of your fanbase is Francophone, it is probably a good idea to do that.  In all honesty the Canadiens should sack Therrien and make a run for Bob Hartley or something.  

Crow would be good for the Hab's..he is getting pretty close to Montreal as well.

I just find it hard to believe.  

1.  When Pacioretty was named captain, the choice was between him and Subban.  I believe he was voted by the players, but still I'm pretty sure management/coaches were pretty happy that choice rather than Subban.

2. One of the reason they traded Subban was he was annoying in the locker room and controversial.  Apparently, him and Pacio weren't really best buds and the trade was meant to give more space in the room for Pacio and unify the lockey room.

I mean, I hate Therrien too, but that would be really stupid that once he got rid of Subban that he would bash in Pacioretty.

Although, with the long list of Habs captains (Blake, Bouchard, Richard, Harvey, Beliveau, Richard, Cournoyer, Savard, Gainey, Carbonneau, Muller, Keane, Turgeon, Damphousse, Koivu, Gionta)....technically Pacioretty hasn't done much yet to earn a better reputation than these guys....so technically yes he would be one of the worst in history lol

2 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

This quote from the first article cracked me up.

"we just hope that this story will not come to his ears".

Hey everybody! Look at what Therrien said about Patches. Don't tell him though!!

Those silly stories, always coming in...I mean, to people's ears.

On September 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM, luckylager said:

Is he wrong though? I don't like Therien, but I don't think he's wrong.

Look at the disaster the Habs were after losing Price last year, Patches failed to lead his team. Dude sucks ass in the playoffs and hates Canada. Coach T is just telling the truth.

Yes, the players chose Patches as their captain, but he sucked at it. He couldn't bring them together in the dressing room or on the ice when their best player went down.

Yes, losing your All Star goalie is going to hurt, but going from first in the league @ 20-0-1 (or whatever) to 22nd out of 30 by seasons end... guy's a dud captain.

Has anyone ever tried naming the keeper captain?....!? ;)

THIS!

He was lucky PK was there to play the role of scapegoat last year. He's lucky he has Weber there to settle the room this year. Why his teammates named him captain over Plekanec is beyond me, but, I'm not in the room, so...

Just seems to have been an odd decision, as I'm rarely impressed with captains who aren't also the team's top centre or its most reliable veteran at the position. 

Will be interesting and predictable to read the headlines at the end of this upcoming season, though. I think it's already a given that Pacioretty and Weber will be hailed as heroes if the Habs manage to win the Cup, and that Subban will be vilified as the reason they weren't able to do it while he was there. By the same token, it's going to suck being Canadiens captain if Nashville reaches the Western Conference final and the Habs get bounced in the quarters. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, smithers joe said:

poor cousin maxie. maybe ship him to vancouver. ..lw.. 2nd line.

not a bad idea Joe. Was thinking the same thing especially if the honeymoons over there (ie. Burrows for Pacioretty sending back the Frenchman). And yes should work under the cap.

Archived