The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014 Draft 6th overall Pick Poll

Ichiban604

repicking the 6th overall for the Canucks.  

269 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its been 2 years now. It is still early. Our opinion changes from time to time. I wanted the canucks to pick William Nylander basic on his high skill set and the swedish connection. My 2nd choice was Ehlers. Both of these players were conisder to be soft at the time, as then Nhl was build on strength, physical play, and big body. Time changed fast, looking at nhl this year (or last year), speed and skill is more important. Base on how Bosten and Kings had huge success a few years ago, compare to now. Jake Virtanen is not a bust, some players needs more time to develop, especially for the power forward position. Who will you pick if you can go back in time?

Tonight:

Virtanen 0 points , 1 SOG, 3 hits  8:26   <   Nylander 1 goal 1 assit, 7 SOG 15:44 mins

5 Games - 0 points                                                6 Games = 9 Point

People say yeah give me 3-4 years then i'll tell you who is the better player. Yeah! i think a blind Stevie Wonder, stuck in the basement can tell you who turn out better . The point is Nylander is performing at a early age. For a Canucks team that cannot score, I think Nylander will help us tremandously . On the wing with the Sedins? Play on a line with Horvat? You can find players that can hit and play physical,but you cannot teach scoring.

Phyical play: Virtanen > Nylander

High offensive IQ: Nylander > Virtenan

Yes 3-4 years Virtenan will devolep into a top line forward just like Hodgson and Kassian did for the Canucks. Give him time pplease.

article-urn publicid ap.org bec27cce1e8d4e48a330f9337027cc90-5BxFDN2Nlv03a554138ea8f9be1a-272_634x483.jpg

jake-virtanen-hair.jpg

Jake Virtanen.

It is absolutely clear that he has been told to take it easy in terms of hitting and focus on his offence. He's been shooting and it's just a matter of time.

Jake can demolish almost anyone, we know that. But against LA or ANA let him make a couple big hits !

When Jake hits he destroys.

Power forward takes the longest to develop and I think Jake just needs to develop his game first in the AHL and gradually brought up to the big league. Playing in the western conference, we need players with both size and skill and Jake has both of these categories checked and he just needs time to develop. Let's hope we develop him properly and gradually bring him up to the big league to play in a big role of the team going forward.

Obviously too early to tell, but if there was a re-draft right now I would choose Nylander.  

At the time, I was on board with Virtanen. He still might turn out, but he sure isn't showing any signs that he can excel at the nhl level yet. I'm hoping for the best. But it kinda looks like we beefed it.

17 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Nick Ritchie. I wanted him from the beginning. 

Even bigger than Virtanen and a much better fighter. People wanted to compare Kassian to Lucic? Ritchie is a much better comparison. 

I wouldn't choose Ritchie over Virt based on being bigger and a better fighter.  Sestito was bigger and probably a better fighter too.

Jake is the type of player that can make an impact in the playoffs (if he wants to).

Nylander will get you points and wins in the regular season where there is more space and the penalties are called as they should be. So this type of player helps take your team to the playoffs.

In the playoffs where the NHL changes up the rules to favour bigger guys, it's not clear if Nylander can be successful unless he is supplemented by a tougher player. In Toronto's case, they have Matthews, a big scoring center, which should solve the problem but we shall see.

We have Bo Horvat, who is a big centerman of his own. So, I'd say Nylander would have been fine here. But at the time of the draft, it made a whole lot of sense as to why the team picked Virtanen and I still agree with their decision. I just don't like they way they are handling his development.

20 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Nick Ritchie. I wanted him from the beginning. 

Even bigger than Virtanen and a much better fighter. People wanted to compare Kassian to Lucic? Ritchie is a much better comparison. 

Why because the fat faced doughboy got a goal last night? Convenient timing...

I can't believe how many people are ragging on a 20 year old. Normally we'd be thrilled if one of our first round picks made an impact by 22 or 23. Yet somehow because he was a 6th pick if he's not making an impact 2 years after he's drafted, he's a bust? Gimme a break.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why because the fat faced doughboy got a goal last night? Convenient timing...

I can't believe how many people are ragging on a 20 year old. Normally we'd be thrilled if one of our first round picks made an impact by 22 or 23. Yet somehow because he was a 6th pick if he's not making an impact 2 years after he's drafted, he's a bust? Gimme a break.

I think its the lack of effort he's displaying that has many concerned. Most knowledgeable fans can accept if he's not scoring given his inexperience, utilzation etc. But when the kid seems to be doing nothing noticeable in his second year when he's on the bubble that's concerning because it means he's either sulking or doesn't have the drive, or both. Yes some fans have a 'hate on' because we didn't draft Ehlers or Nylander, but many others see some alarming tendencies with him. Those may be driven out over time in the AHL with Green and some maturity, but if not, he will be a bust.

Nylander outscored the Sedins prior to his draft, and has now grown to 6'0 190lbs. Outstanding draft year and draft+1. Has been excellent in the NHL offensively and defensively. Producing at a first line pace, on par with guys like Malkin, Kessel, Duchene, etc. This is a no brainer. 

Archived