The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks lack of an All-Star caliber player.

Adarsh Sant

6 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Yes he is the most likely out of our current prospect pool. But realistically he probably won't reach his full potential until his 3rd or 4th year in the league. 

It's really painful, but how did those teams get those "All Star" players?  I know: THE TOP OF THE DRAFT.  We are getting into the BOTTOMING OUT phase of the rebuild - three to five years of top 10 picks.  We just need to accept it's the natural order of a league that has a draft.  Even the worst teams at the draft (coil and Laughs) eventually get better.  We will eventually draft all star players; it's a matter of when.

8 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

who ever's leading the team in, anything XD

We're in a short period "between" all star leaders. We had a wonderful run with the Sedin's and Lu, and are a couple years away from the Bo and Boeser years. But I also have never cared one iota about the all star game and never watch it, it seems really stupid to me. Now maybe if they had it outdoors.... 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's really painful, but how did those teams get those "All Star" players?  I know: THE TOP OF THE DRAFT.  We are getting into the BOTTOMING OUT phase of the rebuild - three to five years of top 10 picks.  We just need to accept it's the natural order of a league that has a draft.  Even the worst teams at the draft (coil and Laughs) eventually get better.  We will eventually draft all star players; it's a matter of when.

Don't worry Alfie, it looks like WDs going to get you one more crack at a top 10 before he's done :)

I checked the whole league , I think Coyotes , Canucks, Hurricanes all in the same boat. They don't have one super star on team.   I think the quickest way to solve the problem is to lose enough game to secure the a top 3 draft spot.  Winning and hoping to make the playoff does make the owners some money,  but it really prolongs the pain the fans suffers.  I believe when the Sedins retire , this plan need to be put into use.

11 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Almost every team in the NHL has at least 1 all-star caliber player. If we look at the Western Conference who most of our games are against, almost every team has a player who regardless of team or situation would be an All-Star player.  The teams that you can argue who defy this statement are Colorado and Arizona.

Pacific 

Oilers - McDavid

Sharks - Pavelski, Burns

Ducks - Getzlaf, Perry

Flames - Gaudreau

KIngs - Doughty, Quick, Kopitar

Coyotes - Arguably Ekman-Larsson

Central

Wild - Suter and arguably Parise

Blues - Tarasenko

Stars - Benn, Seguin

Hawks - Kane, Toews, Keith

Avalanche - Arguably Duchene and Landeskog

Jets - Laine ( I know it's super early for him but 6 goals in 7 games come on) and arguably Byfuglien

Preds - Subban and Rinne

The Canucks do not have a player who can match up to these players.  Almost all of these players would be a 1st liner, top 2 D-man or starting goalie on any team regardless of the situation. Can the Canucks provide anyone of this caliber?  I know you guys will say the Sedins and I understand that.  They are going to be Hall of Famer's one day.  But in this day and age, they just don't match up to these players. If this was 2010-2011 then yes they would be All-Star players.  On top of that, you need both the twins to be on their game if the Canucks are to win games consistently. These players can produce independent of each other.

My question to you is do we need one player of this caliber to succeed in the NHL, or can we do it with our current roster? A D-man, forward or goalie? Any other thoughts?

I would like to hear your opinions on this.

Do we need one or more? Of course.

Do we already have one? Not at that level at present.

Are there potential future all-stars on the team? Maybe Boeser, Horvat, Demko or Juolevi. 

Years of high picks eventually pay off, even for the Oilers. Mid to low first round picks require luck and skill or there is continued mediocrity (middle of the pack ad infinitum)

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We already have 3 of the last 3 years with top 10 picks. 

And you might want to check you math.  OP listed 24 players

Only 6 of those players were acquired through drafting in the top 5

6 were picked up through UFA and trade

and the rest (12) were all picks outside of the top 5.

If you literately just proved your self wrong by agreeing with the list the OP listed. So much for bottoming out theory.   

11 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Let me get this straight. Parise is an all star but not the Sedins. These threads always talking Canucks in need of someone really good. You can't do that unless you trade for someone or draft. Canucks are just going to develop their guys right now. Hopefully these threads about Canucks needing this and that stop its so annoying.

No, it's worse than that.  Rinne is an all-star here.  Oh god, if only we had an aging goalie in decline, we would be on par.  

Hey OP, thanks for the wake-up call.  Are you gonna let Linden know?

11 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

More than you would believe. Look over the last 20 years of drafts. Plenty of players who ended up being stars who were drafted in the later rounds. We've just been convinced by the sports media to believe all the stars come from the first round, specifically in the top 10. They happen to forget that for every McDavid and Matthews, we get Alexander Daigle.

ALOT more stars come from top 10 then in later rounds.. How many Alex Daigle's are there?? 

The Hockey Gods have it in for us.

Edmonton ends up at 3rd last a couple years ago and picks 1st

Canucks end up at 3rd last last year and pick 5th.

By all rights we should have had Laine.  Or McDavid or Matthews to make things right in the universe.  I try not to think about that too much. But can you imagine....

Somewhere there is an alternate Earth where the Canucks get the breaks they deserve. We would have had at least 2 cups by now. Where is Dr. Who when you need him?

We'll have all-star players at one point in the future after Sedin retires.  I do not consider the Sedins as an individual all-star player but a dynamic duo players that were rare.  Without each other, they wouldn't be all-star player if they were drafted to separate team.   I think that the Canucks needs an individual all-star caliber type of player or two in that has a game-breaking skill that wins games for the team.  Once the team figures out the Sedin, they can't maintain the high level of play for the whole game anymore except for odd shifts where they mount some offense but leaves us disappointed in most cases lately in last few years.   Beautiful example, last game against Ottawa, Henrik had opportunity to shoot to an open net but chose to pass because they still have the Sedinery mentality where they look for a perfect play every time in that it doesn't work anymore.   Old habits die hard.   So it is time to let Sedin go and trade for some type of return but the issue here, Sedin would rather to win the Cup with us than to be traded to other team. One more seasons of Sedin's contract before we'd truly bottomed out even we are trending toward it already unless they pick them up themselves which I doubt they will. 

14 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Pacific 

Oilers - McDavid  #1

Sharks - Pavelski, #205  Burns #20

Ducks - Getzlaf, #19 Perry #28

Flames - Gaudreau #104

KIngs - Doughty,#2  Quick,# 72 Kopitar #11

Coyotes - Arguably Ekman-Larsson #6

Central

Wild - Suter #7 and arguably Parise #17

Blues - Tarasenko #16

Stars - Benn,#129  Seguin #2

Hawks - Kane,#1  Toews,#3  Keith #54

Avalanche - Arguably Duchene #3 and Landeskog #2

Jets - Laine #2 ( I know it's super early for him but 6 goals in 7 games come on) and arguably Byfuglien #245

Preds - Subban #43 and Rinne #258

Any one of those players would make the Canucks a better team.

What's interesting is that the majority of those players were not picked 1-3 overall and many of them took awhile to develop into the great players they have become.

Maybe there is a young player(s) like these guys already on the Canucks or still a prospect(s). 

15 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't you see something in Horvat?

Currently possessing all star talent? Seriously, nobody in the entire league would suggest Horvat is an all star right now, remember this next time someone says canuck fans OVERVALUE all their players. 

Good grief.

So the OP is saying because you have horse-shoes embedded in your backside like Edmonton management, you have better management?

Give me a freakin' break. 

Vancouver has not been lucky when we draft high, the Coilers have had all the luck... yet somehow they managed to screw things up year after year after year till their pick was a complete no-brainer, ie. they had a chance to pick the player of a generation.

OP needs to relax and understand we work with what we work with...  Boeser is a great pick, Horvat is a great pick, Virtanen should be.  Markstrom is developing into a great goalie, Demko will be following that same path.

And we will get more picks in the future.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

So the OP is saying because you have horse-shoes embedded in your backside like Edmonton management, you have better management?

Give me a freakin' break. 

Vancouver has not been lucky when we draft high, the Coilers have had all the luck... yet somehow they managed to screw things up year after year after year till their pick was a complete no-brainer, ie. they had a chance to pick the player of a generation.

OP needs to relax and understand we work with what we work with...  Boeser is a great pick, Horvat is a great pick, Virtanen should be.  Markstrom is developing into a great goalie, Demko will be following that same path.

And we will get more picks in the future.

How many top ten picks will we need to get a competitive young core again?  It took us almost 40 years the last (and only) time. 

6 hours ago, Davathor said:

Currently possessing all star talent? Seriously, nobody in the entire league would suggest Horvat is an all star right now, remember this next time someone says canuck fans OVERVALUE all their players. 

Good grief.

That's telling me :P

Archived