The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen Ceiling

doodle sack

I believe the biggest issue with Virtanen is that, last year, he was told "don't worry about the offense just go out and hit."

He said as much.

That is very, very wrong. Yes, perhaps, last season we needed his big body. But you can't ask that of an 18yo top pick. Right away it pigeonholes him.

This year, with Tryamkin, Guddy and a healthy Sutter, we don't need that from him. We need goals.

It's the management's fault for messing with his mind and making him think that hits will give him ice.

He needs to play on the 4th line, in the O-zone, and get some opportunities.

We didn't draft him to be defensive, and that's the part that kids truly struggle with.

Put the kid in a position to score some goals, then ask him to prevent some.

who cares what his ceiling is? if he doesn't improve his work ethic and play hard regardless of the situation or ice time.. we won't even see him in a canucks uniform 3-4 years down the road.. he's basically in the same situation as Kassian was when he first broke into the league.. look at how fast he was shipped out of buffalo

Hopefully somewhere along the lines of a Kreider or a Kane, or something in between. Hopefully 40-50 point winger , a great complementary player and physical presence in the top 6. Hopefully.

North/South speedy powerforward. It is going to be a while for him to reach his ceiling, whatever that may be. At 20 years of age he has, and will need, time to get it together. Preferably I would want that time to be in the AHL but you can't always get what you want.

Hopefully Jake starts putting more of an effort in preparation for games. Jake just needs to look at a guy like Tryamkin who made a mistake in the off-season by showing up out of shape and paid his dues to get into the lineup by putting in the work. Jake needs to pay his dues and give 110% 100% of the time. That means in prep for games, which includes practices and what not, and during games.

When you're a young guy you can't be lazy. You gotta go out and be the best player you can be during a game and then next game try to be better player than you were before.

Willie was impressed with his practice and said if he practiced like that everyday then he'd be fine. if he continues this then it would be a step in the right direction.

The other thing that is wrong with Jake right now is his confidence level. Jake said that Utica gave him that boost but I feel that a lot more than 2 games would of helped his confidence even further. We will see how this plays out within the few couple of weeks.

Jimmy The House Sandlak

Big, physical, heavy shot, good hitter, but in the end could never put it all together.  The sad thing is, back then, the organization gambled that Jimmy would be better than Cam Neely, and as a result made Neely expendable for immediate help....

Based on other 6th overall picks:

Ceiling: John MacLean, Scott Hartnell, or Ryan Smyth. In his best years playing with skilled guys he should be PPG, 30+ goals. Impact player.

The average 6th pick: Scottie Upshall, Derick Brassard, Milan Michalek. Average numbers. Important top 6 guys.

Nightmare scenario: Gilbert Brule, Rico Fata.

I see a lot of posters writing off Jake as a way past his prime 20 year old.  Must be "The I told you so" complex. If Jake goes on to a good or even great career they happily forget their comments and say how happy and excited they are for Jake. If he busts or ends up a journeyman player we hear the "I told you so" till hell freezes over.  People around here want more draft picks, more prospects and more young players just so they can turn on them within 2 years. Sad, really.:picard:

26 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

I see a lot of posters writing off Jake as a way past his prime 20 year old.  Must be "The I told you so" complex. If Jake goes on to a good or even great career they happily forget their comments and say how happy and excited they are for Jake. If he busts or ends up a journeyman player we hear the "I told you so" till hell freezes over.  People around here want more draft picks, more prospects and more young players just so they can turn on them within 2 years. Sad, really.:picard:

Yeah, its sad, these same guys would have made the Cam Neely trade.  That didn't turn out so well when management gave up on him did it?  Or they would follow the Oilers model where you tank for 11 years while you wait for a Conner McDavid to come along.  And if he doesn't you tank for another 11 years?

Archived