The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I'd like it for us if we could do something like the SJS 4th and maybe some lower level prospects.. but I doubt Buffalo goes for that and tries for more at the TDL. 

They would likely get a lot more at the 2018 deadline for sure.  The concern would be for Buffalo, how much do they want this guy around their rebuilding youth?  There were already those Sam Reinhart issues and the behind the scene statements (apparently) made by Eichel.  Maybe the Sabres want to really change their culture?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would we do that deal: Virtanen for Kane?  

No, no and... no. I'd like to see Kane here for a year before re-signing him and we don't know what Jake is yet. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would we do that deal: Virtanen for Kane?  

Buffalo needs D men Alf..

This article about moving Tanev is a good read.. includes the possibility of E.Kane and the reason why from Buffalo.

5 smart trade destinations for Vancouver's Chris Tanev

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Plus Kane will be a UFA in July 2018.  The team trading for him is basically getting only a rental.  

Friedman was wondering if it would not be attached with an extension - he can sign one as from 1 July.  They should be able to agree in principle and delay the timing of the trade.  

Price cannot sign an extension before 1 July but Bergevin has been meeting with his representatives already.  Same with Fowler in Anaheim.  So Buffalo could be talking to Kane to gauge his interest in signing an extension with the Kings.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They would likely get a lot more at the 2018 deadline for sure.  The concern would be for Buffalo, how much do they want this guy around their rebuilding youth?  There were already those Sam Reinhart issues and the behind the scene statements (apparently) made by Eichel.  Maybe the Sabres want to really change their culture?  

I dunno... we need someone who follows them more closely... @SabreFan1 would know more about the room rumours. 

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman was wondering if it would not be attached with an extension - he can sign one as from 1 July.  They should be able to agree in principle and delay the timing of the trade. 

Huge gamble though.  What's he worth, and what if he doesn't turn it around and we're stuck with 4-6 years at $5mil+?

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Huge gamble though.  What's he worth, and what if he doesn't turn it around and we're stuck with 4-6 years at $5mil+?

Agreed.  Not the kind of character to put a long term, big money contract in front of.  

Kane.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I wonder if a trade could be worked out with Tanev, Kane and Buffalo's 1st (8th OA) as the main parts. 

Personally, I don't think we should be going after players in Kane's age group but I also don't think Kane has much value in a trade. So I'd be ok with him being more of a throw in, although we would have to add something on our end.

Tanev + Lockwood 

For 

8th OA + Kane

Is that fair? Buffalo might want more. If so, I'd probably pass.

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wonder if a trade could be worked out with Tanev, Kane and Buffalo's 1st (8th OA) as the main parts. 

Personally, I don't think we should be going after players in Kane's age group but I also don't think Kane has much value in a trade. So I'd be ok with him being more of a throw in, although we would have to add something on our end.

Tanev + Lockwood 

For 

8th OA + Kane

I would consider that deal.  We could (maybe?) get Vilardi/Middlestadt/Glass at 5 and then Makar/Liljigren at 8, while adding Kane, and still keeping 33 and 55 picks.  Hmmm.  Very intriguing.  

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Tanev + Lockwood 

For 

8th OA + Kane

Buffalo could probably get more from LA instead.

19 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Tanev + Lockwood 

For 

8th OA + Kane

For a lotto ticket and a pending UFA?  No.  We're not trading away our futures, even if Buffalo wanted them unless they're upping the ante.

28 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wouldn't add to that IMO. Kane doesn't add a lot of value and Tanev's easily worth 8th OA.

51 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well Virtanen should be a similar type of player as Kane 

Nope... "if" Virtanen manages to reach his potential he may be a somewhat physical guy who finishes his checks with reasonable regularity.

He never has been, nor has shown any signs that he will ever be a guy that answers the bell and drops the gloves to stand up for his team mates or keep other players honest with our skill players.  That is what we need in the top 6, and that is why we had a lot of patience with Kassian and made a big offer for Lucic.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nope... "if" Virtanen manages to reach his potential he may be a somewhat physical guy who finishes his checks with reasonable regularity.

He never has been, nor has shown any signs that he will ever be a guy that answers the bell and drops the gloves to stand up for his team mates or keep other players honest with our skill players.  That is what we need in the top 6, and that is why we had a lot of patience with Kassian and made a big offer for Lucic.

I said he should be?

Your response is Nope...  ?

Pretty sure all the coaches in our organization and Virtanen himself would agree.

Sounds like there might be a deal brewing between LA and Buffalo. They've got some nice shutdown defencemen over there.

I know Nashville are doing pretty fine right now and don't need much help, but a trade with them would make the most sense. They've got 4 or 5 potential top pairing defencemen and could really use a big physical winger and some extra help up front apart from Neal, Johansen, Forsberg and Arvidsson. Who knows how those forwards will fare next season. Johansen coming off a major injury scare, Arvidsson might have been a 30 goal flash in a pan, Neal's on the down-swing and Forsberg's always been an inconsistent scorer. They could use another 20-30 goal scorer for sure.

I'd do this trade mid-season next year if I were Nashville. Something like Ekholm for Kane + depth defenceman

24 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like there might be a deal brewing between LA and Buffalo. They've got some nice shutdown defencemen over there.

I know Nashville are doing pretty fine right now and don't need much help, but a trade with them would make the most sense. They've got 4 or 5 potential top pairing defencemen and could really use a big physical winger and some extra help up front apart from Neal, Johansen, Forsberg and Arvidsson. Who knows how those forwards will fare next season. Johansen coming off a major injury scare, Arvidsson might have been a 30 goal flash in a pan, Neal's on the down-swing and Forsberg's always been an inconsistent scorer. They could use another 20-30 goal scorer for sure.

I'd do this trade mid-season next year if I were Nashville. Something like Ekholm for Kane + depth defenceman

Poile has already stated that he is not trading any of his 4 Ds.  

Archived