The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The NHL is on high alert for Dec3 Leafs game.

ShakyWalton

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

I admit that Im a repressed Canucks fan that wishes the team wouldnt be used as a doormat so many times.  part of the problem is our two top players take humiliating levels of abuse and hardly ever push back.  Its disheartening to watch.  You know what would be an epic moment for me? If Sedin dropped the gloves and punched Kadri in the head a dozen times - even if he loses the fight it would be a memorable moment in Canuck history.   But they dont have that in them, and I hope that whoever takes over the star role on this team in the future can at least stand up for themselves once in a while.  It will go a long way in instilling some pride in the team and in the fan base.

As the veteran star players on the team, they are setting the standard for others to follow, and sadly that standard was set when Daniel kept looking at the ref when Marchand was rabbit punching him instead of defending himself.

I understood Daniel's reaction though. As one of a European player, he was probably stunned that such superfluous nonsense was permitted in the game. It was egregious and stupid on Marchand's part, but clearly the refs were either complicit to the fact, or were content with the machismo BS that plagues the game taking over and bypassing what makes the game great.

That being said, this team needs new leaders willing to go to the trenches for their players to set a new standard.

6 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Exactly.  Some people want Kadri and whoever else to eat fist, but what will really happen is one or two mediocre punches before the fight is broken up, followed by subsequent discipline for the Canuck involved.  Then we'll all be complaining about how the league is out to get us. 

On the other hand, if the Canucks just play the body cleanly all game, the leafs won't have anyone to turn to.  Every time Trymakin or Gud hits the ice you know they'll be checking over their shoulders.

And who would dictate the physical tone of the game?

I'm not quite convinced that the Canucks would get a fair shake even with a clean, hard hitting game. This league is biased, and the DoPS is the epitome of that bias.

I can actually say that the officiating this year, has actually taken a turn for the better, and been far more consistent in terms of calls. I've waited for a string of games where the Canucks were getting the lion's share of bad calls, and it hasn't happened. I've actually noticed more non calls in the Canucks favor this year, than in years past.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And who would dictate the physical tone of the game?

I'm not quite convinced that the Canucks would get a fair shake even with a clean, hard hitting game. This league is biased, and the DoPS is the epitome of that bias.

I can actually say that the officiating this year, has actually taken a turn for the better, and been far more consistent in terms of calls. I've waited for a string of games where the Canucks were getting the lion's share of bad calls, and it hasn't happened. I've actually noticed more non calls in the Canucks favor this year, than in years past.

Including the non-call on icing AND too many men at the same time a couple weeks ago? That one had me scratching my head.

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As the veteran star players on the team, they are setting the standard for others to follow, and sadly that standard was set when Daniel kept looking at the ref when Marchand was rabbit punching him instead of defending himself.

I understood Daniel's reaction though. As one of a European player, he was probably stunned that such superfluous nonsense was permitted in the game. It was egregious and stupid on Marchand's part, but clearly the refs were either complicit to the fact, or were content with the machismo BS that plagues the game taking over and bypassing what makes the game great.

That being said, this team needs new leaders willing to go to the trenches for their players to set a new standard.

The sad thing is that when we think about the sedins 20 years from now, aside from all of the marvelous things they did for this team, that incident will be a footnote of the whole era in which they were the dominant Canuck players.

It (Sedins being punching bags) has given the team and the fan base a bit of a complex.  I think management thought the team needed to look more like the Bruins after the way they were man handled in 2011 and subsequently acquired  'tough' guys like Mike Duco, Pinizzotto, Mancari, Sestito, and probably influenced their decision to get Zack Kassian.  I think this complex leads to over reactions every time a Sedin is hit - its a sensitive topic for good reason.

As much as I love the Sedins, it will be a breath of fresh air if new leadership on the team has some push back in them. 

Going to be at the game tomorrow, I just hope the Canucks lay down the hammer and beat the Leafs. The Leafs media seems to quiet down after a loss, nothing would make it sweeter than to get the Leafs Fanboy Media to shut up. Also I hope the Canucks play Matthews and Marner hard, it kind of irritated me that they were singing Bon Jovi on the bench at the end of the last game. They had it too easy. 

17 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Including the non-call on icing AND too many men at the same time a couple weeks ago? That one had me scratching my head.

If the officials are inconsistent across the board, that is far more preferable than being purposely inconsistent.

Did anyone else read that drivel today on sportsnet that the Canucks should be more like the leafs(tanking).  We should be like the Kings get a number 1 centre(check), get a number 1 dman(good chance we have one already), and draft an elite goalie(good chance we're covered there).  With a little more luck on the lotto balls we would be writing why they should be like us lol.

17 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I wonder if it's true if the Coyotes offered Duclair and a pick to the Flames for Hamilton. If so I think the Flames will regret that as much as they do the Baertschi and Granlund trades haha!

It sucks but we are going to be hit hard with penalties this game and if that is the case we are bound for a loss and a whole whack of suspensions. Just let Gudbranson or Tryamkin pound the head off of Martin and Kadri, give them 5 MIN majors and leave it be.. it's going to be a $&!# show no matter what and bad reffing isn't going to help matters.

GO CANUCKS!!!

$&!#, i would trade edler for duclair and a pick. Calgary is nuts if that's true 

14 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

The sad thing is that when we think about the sedins 20 years from now, aside from all of the marvelous things they did for this team, that incident will be a footnote of the whole era in which they were the dominant Canuck players.

It will, to a degree. I still marvel at some of the ridiculous passing, and using of impossible gaps on the ice, in their prime, when they made the impossible possible. Some of the stuff they have accomplished on the ice is beyond comprehension, and doesn't lessen with repeated viewings.

It (Sedins being punching bags) has given the team and the fan base a bit of a complex.

The officiating was questionable, at best, during that series. As much as the visual was embarrassing, it was the idea that they still thought that they would get balanced and fair calls, that I found alarming. It was as if they had faith in refs actually being impartial.

I think management thought the team needed to look more like the Bruins after the way they were man handled in 2011 and subsequently acquired  'tough' guys like Mike Duco, Pinizzotto, Volpati, Sestito, and probably influenced their decision to get Zack Kassian.  I think this complex leads to over reactions every time a Sedin is hit - its a sensitive topic for good reason.

But he never changed the team's makeup enough to become that type of team, as both the Kings and Sharks took the physical game to the Canucks and beat them soundly. Gillis needed to acquire legitimate players, yet he went to the bargain bin and paid for role players.

As much as I love the Sedins, it will be a breath of fresh air if new leadership on the team has some push back in them. 

It's time. The new core is already emerging, and it's time that they are given the space to continue to.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Engelland, while getting on in years, is one of the toughest players in recent history, since Colton Orr retired. Please provide video proof that Engelland hid behind Ferland.

If Martin is such a "tough" player, then why did he go after one of the smallest Canucks last game? You see, an actually tough player seeks out a fair and honest fight. Martin was a cowardly turd last game. There is no denying that.

Gudbranson is more than capable of handling himself in any situation. He can take Martin.

Why should Martin have to chase players that do not want to fight him. He picked on Stecher to force those players hand. Let those players come to him because the guy is confident in his fighting ability. He saw Burrows spear Reilly and that is unacceptable in his eyes; he is doing his job in the role that he was hired to do.

The Canucks had their light weight guys (Burrows and Dorsett) do the fighting after their two top players were hit by dirty hits; Toronto has their heavy weight guy do the fighting.

I would say that Martin has forced Gud's hand to have him challenge him; in fact, Martin will challenge Gud before Gud challenges Martin. I'm looking forward to the fight and I'm hoping that Gud lays a beating on Martin.

5 hours ago, ice orca said:

The best way to beat them is with class and on the score board.

Best way to beat them but we don't get to see what the league does.  Letting it go is just a green light to take more liberties against us.

I wonder if there was an altercation between Columbus and Arizona in a game, if the league would be on high alert for their next match. HIGHLY UNLIKELY, because no one would care. It's because it's Toronto and Vancouver. League needs to protect the Leafs, because they respect Lammoriello, Shanahan and Babcock so much, whereas the Canucks get zero respect. Hoping Tryamkin "accidentally" falls on Kadri. Wonder what kind of fine he'd get for that.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Why should Martin have to chase players that do not want to fight him.

Like Dorsett? Not sure. Dorsett has fought far tougher players than Martin, so I'm not sure why he picked the spot he did.

He picked on Stecher to force those players hand. Let those players come to him because the guy is confident in his fighting ability.

And conveniently, neither Gudbranson nor Tryamkin was on the ice during his "forcing of the hand" on Stecher. Hmmm....Talk about picking spots.  

He saw Burrows spear Reilly and that is unacceptable in his eyes; he is doing his job in the role that he was hired to do.

Spearing is always unacceptable. That was a low point from the Canucks perspective. Why does Burrows still pull that crap?

The Canucks had their light weight guys (Burrows and Dorsett) do the fighting after their two top players were hit by dirty hits; Toronto has their heavy weight guy do the fighting.

Babcock deployed the lines to give Martin a clear path, once again knowing that Gudbranson and Tryamkin were off ice. At least see that for what it is.

I would say that Martin has forced Gud's hand to have him challenge him; in fact, Martin will challenge Gud before Gud challenges Martin. I'm looking forward to the fight and I'm hoping that Gud lays a beating on Martin.

We'll see how it plays out. Based on how hard Gudbranson went after Hendricks a few years back, and how he took on Kassian earlier this season, Martin should be getting prepared.

Obviously the NHL is not coming for the threat by Guddy as threats are common in the NHL. They are coming because they realized they messed up with the hit on Daniel, and now expect a bloodbath and want to act as a deterrent.

But, management better be ready. No excuse to have LaBate and Biega out, while having Larsen. It's time to stick up for our players, and send a message. If anyone touches a Sedin, I want the other 4 guys coming in and throwing punches.

No I don't want Guddy to just fight Martin and end the beef there. Although I won't mind Guddy vs. Kadri and LaBate vs. Rielly.

Archived