The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall goalie Thatcher Demko

JV77

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

Even if he is forced into action and he gets shelled in an NHL game he isn't going to be "ruined". The kid is getting a degree in applied psychology with a minor in philosophy. I think he has his head screwed on correctly and any experience will be good experience.

Seems like Miller would be the perfect mentor if he wanted to stick around down the road for less money as vet backup.

Both guys were top American goalies coming out of college and both guys love to analyse the game and think through plays and work on their technique to be sound.

I don't think they stick him out there this weekend. Scary concept that our #4 could be played in his rookie season. I think Demko has a bright future, but it might be too early for NHL action. I think they play Markstrom both games, or it could be the case that Miller skips the Saturday game, and is ready Sunday. 

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

Would be a mistake to play him again on Sunday IMO..

unlikely he has an easy game on Sat, and the games aren't even 24 hours apart

I honestly don't want to see him play at all. I agree with Sunday, Washington is dangerous enough, let alone on a back to back.

52 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

But Demko played tonight. He's either in an airport or on a plane to Florida right now. There's no way that he should play tomorrow. My guess is that Markstrom plays the back to back, but that's going to be an interesting decision for Willie D.

Yikes I completely forgot about that

24 minutes ago, Grumpy Canuckat said:

Let's see what he's got.  What's the worst that can happen, we lose a game and slip in the standings to 27th?

He gets shelled. 

33 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I don't think they stick him out there this weekend. Scary concept that our #4 could be played in his rookie season. I think Demko has a bright future, but it might be too early for NHL action. I think they play Markstrom both games, or it could be the case that Miller skips the Saturday game, and is ready Sunday

This.

Probably won't be getting playing time but Benning is probably doing what he's been doing the past couple of years. Rewarding hard work from AHL guys by calling them up to the NHL club to get an NHL paycheck and by practicing with the NHL team, gives them familiarity with the players and experience to bring back to the AHL to continue dominating. By the time they make the NHL full time, they would've already known the routine of an NHL schedule and since they practiced with the big club, are more familiar with the systems as well, translating to an easier transition from AHL to NHL.

3 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Probably won't be getting playing time but Benning is probably doing what he's been doing the past couple of years. Rewarding hard work from AHL guys by calling them up to the NHL club to get an NHL paycheck and by practicing with the NHL team, gives them familiarity with the players and experience to bring back to the AHL to continue dominating. By the time they make the NHL full time, they would've already known the routine of an NHL schedule and since they practiced with the big club, are more familiar with the systems as well, translating to an easier transition from AHL to NHL.

I think that's more a happy byproduct in a situation that's simply... everyone else is injured :)

2 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I am sorry but Markstrom is a career .904 SV goalie.  I don't really see him as a future starter.  I would love to see Demko at least once this year.

He's not a 'career' goalie, he hasn't had one yet.
His play is evolving every game he gets to start. I've been super impressed with Marky this year - his movements are smooth and efficient, and he seems much more determined on every play. His puck handling is also the best we've ever experienced from our goaltenders in this franchise. Hugely underrated element.

Look at what Dubnyk is doing with his career since leaving Edmonton.

Same style of tender. Huge lads with huge pads. Simple movements, nothing fancy.

At a certain point it becomes a game of percentages. When you're 6'6, the numbers are on your side.
I'm not worried about bridging the gap to Demko, Markstom is a good goalie in his own right.

Thatcher has an undeniable X-factor (it's the only way you get to be a pro ice hockey goalie coming from San Diego), so I secretly hope to see him in action and put up a performance for the ages, but I also remember what happened when Malcom Subban got a reward call-up...

Either way I dig the move. Thatch is playing great and is potentially a guy that will sell a lot of merchandise for this team, get him on board if even just for a sniff of the good life.

27 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

I remember reading somewhere that some AHL call up made enough money in a couple games to pay off his car :lol:

Archived