The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When Bo gets treated like Nylander, maybe we'll suck less

JM_

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This market is so negative and toxic, fans would be booing a player like McDavid every game he didn't get at least 2 points. 

No, if we had McDavid the arena would be sold out.

1 minute ago, Mattrek said:

You kidding look at the Twins? Nothing but complaints. The only two Art Ross trophy winners this team as ever had and people whine about them. I really feel sorry for Boeser, and hope we have a better crowd when he takes to the ice. 

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You kidding look at the Twins? Nothing but complaints. The only two Art Ross trophy winners this team as ever had and people whine about them. I really feel sorry for Boeser, and hope we have a better crowd when he takes to the ice. 

The twins are on the downswing, McDavid is on the upswing. Big difference. I love the Sedins and what they've done for the Canucks and the city, they've been leaders and role models for over a decade. That being said there is no denying the Sedins have lost an edge and are making some head scratching decisions right now. One can criticize their current play (which is valid) and still appreciate all they've done. Don't mistake that "whining" about players now means Canucks fans don't appreciate the Sedins. There's a difference between the two.

I gotta say, I'm surprised that this generated 6 pages! I thought the title was going to generate more humour and wasn't to be taken that seriously.... 

I'm weary of the TO comparisons, we are what we are. I happen to think we have a bright future. 

On 12/24/2016 at 3:33 PM, Down by the River said:

Three years? A year and a half for a total of less than 80 games. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=166009

Nylander is good. Bo is good. It is weird to compare the two because they are expected to play a different type of game. Yes, they are being deployed differently, but for the rest of their careers they are going to be deployed differently because they are different players. 

37 games in 2014-15 for 32 pts and 38 games in 15/16 for 45 pts.

On 28/12/2016 at 5:00 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I can't believe that you actually believe what you just wrote.

Bo was prematurely thrown in 2nd line center role last season because of Sutter injury. That wasn't helpful for his point production. But I like what Bo brings, and he is captain material. I can't say about Nylander, haven't seen much of it. Frankly I don't care. Bo is a gem, and Nux for many years to come.

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Bo was prematurely thrown in 2nd line center role last season because of Sutter injury. That wasn't helpful for his point production. But I like what Bo brings, and he is captain material. I can't say about Nylander, haven't seen much of it. Frankly I don't care. Bo is a gem, and Nux for many years to come.

Sutter's production as C2/RW1 is pretty much on the same pace as Horvat's last season.  Even in +/- where he is leading the forwards league-wide in the race for the Green jacket (- there are 4Ds ahead of him).  

This argument about Horvat not being ready to be C2 re his poor +/- and being better suited for C3 doesn't hold water when the guy replacing him is not doing any better production wise despite having support for the defensive assignments from the Horvat line.  Last night the Horvat line did not start once in the o-zone for example.  

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Sutter's production as C2/RW1 is pretty much on the same pace as Horvat's last season.  Even in +/- where he is leading the forwards league-wide in the race for the Green jacket (- there are 4Ds ahead of him).  

This argument about Horvat not being ready to be C2 re his poor +/- and being better suited for C3 doesn't hold water when the guy replacing him is not doing any better production wise despite having support for the defensive assignments from the Horvat line.  Last night the Horvat line did not start once in the o-zone for example.  

Last yr is last yr. This yr is this yr. Bo wasn't ready last yr, but did a good job nevertheless in the end. He was struggling earlier last yr. Sutter production this yr is meaningless. If he was playing last yr, Bo will have a easier time since he will carry less mins and have a easier matchup on average.

On 12/24/2016 at 0:29 PM, S'all Good Man said:

I know, just creating a contrast in where our 2 teams are at. Nylander is getting a great deal of sheltered time in the o-zone with great players. If Virtanen had that he'd probably still be up with us too. 

We really do have some exciting kids coming up the ranks, and the continual comparison to TO gets tiresome. They have a 10 year head start. 

then why start a thread that is based on that comparison?

On 12/27/2016 at 3:26 PM, Mattrek said:

Bure couldn't keep butts in the seats. Bure + Mogilny couldn't keep butts in the seats. The only thing that puts butts in the seats here is winning games.

13 hours ago, lmm said:

then why start a thread that is based on that comparison?

I was thinking we could have a more light hearted discussion over it than the endless "we aren't TO" gnashing and fighting. I mean come on, I called Nylander a "Flaming Flamingo".

On 27/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, S'all Good Man said:

I gotta say, I'm surprised that this generated 6 pages! I thought the title was going to generate more humour and wasn't to be taken that seriously.... 

I'm weary of the TO comparisons, we are what we are. I happen to think we have a bright future. 

Good analysis...One this thread did give me smiles though...Even though I live in Ontario now and am exposed to TO fans that won't stop grinning given their fortunes at the draft table recently it doesnt phase me when given the opportunity to poke some fun at their expense..What I don't get though is why so many Vancouver fans get caught up in comparisons.  Used to be Calgary when I grew up ( no point in even going to their Northern neighbor) ... Dare we compare Horvat to Gueadreau or even Mohanan?

On 12/28/2016 at 7:30 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

You want everyone to move?:o

On 2016-12-27 at 5:30 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just saying and I know this isn't technically true, but as an outsider looking in (I live in Winnipeg) Canucks game attendants have a horrible reputation for not behaving, well, "Canadian".

To back this up, I'll cite the time last season when D sedin had a hat trick and there was only a single hat thrown on the ice. (Hughson even commented on it as it was a HNIC game) I know that even during an abysmal season, that would never happen at a jets home game, and I have a tough time imagining it at a flames, oilers, senators, habs and leafs game. We do have a very "poles up our asses" reputation. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good analysis...One this thread did give me smiles though...Even though I live in Ontario now and am exposed to TO fans that won't stop grinning given their fortunes at the draft table recently it doesnt phase me when given the opportunity to poke some fun at their expense..What I don't get though is why so many Vancouver fans get caught up in comparisons.  Used to be Calgary when I grew up ( no point in even going to their Northern neighbor) ... Dare we compare Horvat to Gueadreau or even Mohanan?

This is the reason: we have a much higher proportion of hockey fans that had their 1st allegiance to an original 6 team, "daddy's team" if you like. Sure people follow the Canucks and are interested but we have way too many "fans" with a spare Blackhawks or MTL sweater under the bed that comes out a couple times a year at Rogers Arena. I think thats what drives a lot of the negative media and over-comparison here too; its easy to crap on the Canucks or think the grass is greener elsewhere when you are happy when the Habs win when they play here. 

Couple that with very high ticket prices and a lot more things to do than say a place like Calgary (sorry, but its true) and you get some empty seats when things aren't going well.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

This is the reason: we have a much higher proportion of hockey fans that had their 1st allegiance to an original 6 team, "daddy's team" if you like. Sure people follow the Canucks and are interested but we have way too many "fans" with a spare Blackhawks or MTL sweater under the bed that comes out a couple times a year at Rogers Arena. I also think thats what drives a lot of the negative media here too; its easy to crap on the Canucks when you are happy when the Habs win when they play here. 

Couple that with very high ticket prices and a lot more things to do than say a place like Calgary (sorry, but its true) and you get some empty seats when things aren't going well.

Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton.  I really don't know which would be worse to live in, especially in the winter when hockey is on.  

Archived