The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Top players in the SEL don't need a NHL contract. That assumes he can make the Canuck roster without AHL time. More than doubtful he would make the attempt.  

True. Come to think of it, didn't he sign a big contract in the spring?

I still wouldn't put it entirely outside the realm of possibility.

are you that confident?

I haven't found any articles or interviews on the subject but I'd imagine an NHL roster spot and pay check would look good to pretty much any 25 year old.

I am that confident yes.  He would have to come back over, acclimate and find himself a spot on the roster.  He would most likely have to spend another season in the AHL.  Points in the Euro leagues are not points in the AHL are not points in the NHL.

I am confident enough to say I just don't see it happening

I am that confident yes.  He would have to come back over, acclimate and find himself a spot on the roster.  He would most likely have to spend another season in the AHL.  Points in the Euro leagues are not points in the AHL are not points in the NHL.

I am confident enough to say I just don't see it happening

Derek Ryan, Jori Lehtera, Melker Karlsson, Carl Soderberg, Pierre-Eduard Bellemare, and Steve Moses say hi.

He's not big enough, physical enough or strong enough to play in the NHL. Otherwise, he'd be somewhere in the league right now. Would you play him ahead of Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Daniel, Higgins and Prust? Didn't think so.

With luck, everyone finds his niche in the game. Rodin has found his with Brynas, where I'm sure he'll live happily ever after.

Now if some NHL team wants to acquire his rights from Vancouver, he'd be worth a conditional draft pick.

Sorry you're right.  Those household names have all come back and stormed the league.  Colour me corrected  B)

They all came over for a shot in the NHL. Some returned after failing to make an impact in NA when they were younger.

Soderberg recently got a contract for $23.75 million. SHL salaries are nowhere close to that. Last time I checked, many of the SHL's highest paid players were earning around $500k per...which is minimum wage in the NHL.

Also, Rodin came over to NA in the first place for a reason. He wanted to make the NHL, and make an NHL salary. He left because it looked like he wasn't going to. Now, he has generated enough interest that multiple teams are considering giving him a 1-way deal - hence, making the NHL, and making the salary. Why are you so confident that he would turn his nose up at this opportunity.

Edited by D-Money

They all came over for a shot in the NHL. Some returned after failing to make an impact in NA when they were younger.

Soderberg recently got a contract for $23.75 million. SHL salaries are nowhere close to that. Last time I checked, many of the SHL's highest paid players were earning around $500k per...which is minimum wage in the NHL.

Also, Rodin came over to NA in the first place for a reason. He wanted to make the NHL, and make an NHL salary. He left because it looked like he wasn't going to. Now, he has generated enough interest that multiple teams are considering giving him a 1-way deal - hence, making the NHL, and making the salary. Why are you so confident that he would turn his nose up at this opportunity.

i never said anything about him not wanting to come back

i am more saying I'm not sure he CAN come back.  And if he does the odds of him playing in a nucks uniform are slim

Edited by Warhippy

Is...there a reason we're still talking about this kid?

I mean I understand the affiliation but he's gone.  He's not coming back.  We've a better chance of both winning the cup this year AND the draft lottery via trade than seeing him ever wear a Nucks uniform.

Mainly because Elliot Friedman talked about him in his 30 Thoughts article last week, and how he has a shot of coming back to the NHL.  Seems appropriate to reignite some talk.

Yeah, Brad Zeimer just posted a piece with quotes from Benning saying that the Canucks are interested in bringing Rodin back over.

COLUMBUS — General manager Jim Benning is considering taking a trip to Sweden this winter to have a look at Anton Rodin, a former second-round draft pick of the Vancouver Canucks who is leading the Swedish League scoring race.

The 24-year-old Rodin has 10 goals and 24 points in 16 games for Brynas IF, which is based in the Swedish city of Gavle.

Rodin, the Brynas team captain, was selected 53rd overall in 2009 by the Canucks.

“We have scouts over there this week watching him,” Benning said. “I might try to get over there in early February. We still own his rights so we could sign him and bring him back if that’s what we decide.”

Rodin returned to Sweden in 2013 after playing two years for Vancouver’s former AHL affiliate in Chicago. In 111 AHL games, Rodin had 27 goals and 68 points.

Benning said the Canucks must determine whether Rodin can play at the NHL level.

“I think if he comes over it is to play in the NHL,” Benning said. “He is not going to want to sign a contract at this stage to come and play in the American league. We have to make the determination first if he makes this team and where we think he is going to fit on our team. Once we make that determination then we’ll look into what his contract status is and go from there.”

Rodin is signed through the 2016-17 season in Brynas, the team where Canucks backup goalie Jacob Markstrom played. But many Swedish League contracts have outs for players who get an opportunity to play in the NHL.

Personally I think its a great move, if you own the rights to the leading scorer in the SEL (who's also had two very strong previous seasons over there) you've gotta take a look and see if there's a way to get him back in the fold.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/canucks+notes+team+considers+swedish/11505425/story.html

This is right up Bennings alley. I don't see where he would fit into the lineup next year, but i assume a couple of teams has expressed interest in aquiring his rights which is why Benning wants to get a good read on this kid.

Sedins-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Virtanen-Sutter-Rodin

Higgins-McCann-Dorsett

Gaunce? (i would like to resign Prust but we don't really have room for him sadly)

This is right up Bennings alley. I don't see where he would fit into the lineup next year, but i assume a couple of teams has expressed interest in aquiring his rights which is why Benning wants to get a good read on this kid.

Sedins-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Virtanen-Sutter-Rodin

Higgins-McCann-Dorsett

Gaunce? (i would like to resign Prust but we don't really have room for him sadly)

if he's truly good enough they will make room for him.  They will have to find a way, if he does make it, wow, it's a long time coming. 

I imagine the biggest question will be whether his game can translate to North American ice. He's proven that he can excel offensively with the space that the European rinks provide but it'll be hard to get a read on how well he'd play over here without actually signing him and making it happen. But I think its definitely worth the risk to offer him a one year deal or so, when it comes to improving the team you have to use every resource you can.

If he continues this pace he's probably a lock for Team Sweden at Worlds this year so I wouldn't be surprised if Benning uses that opportunity to take a closer look at him.

If Rodin's season ends early enough, I wonder if Benning would consider signing him for the remainder of our season the way his Bruins did with Soderberg back in 2013. I'm not 100% sure about the rules of signing players late season though.

Edited by stonecoldstevebernier