The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Penguins will buy out Marc-Andre Fleury if not traded

Just now, WHL rocks said:

For who? Fleury? He has negative value. We would get prospects or pick to take him off Pit's hands, not other way around. Fleury sucks and has sucked for a years. 

It was a joke. We have Miller, Markstrom, Demko, Garteig, an overpriced aging goalie is the last thing we need. Sbisa is also playing himself into a top 4 role and it would be total lame sauce to lose him + more for Fleury. 

1 minute ago, suitup said:

It was a joke. We have Miller, Markstrom, Demko, Garteig, an overpriced aging goalie is the last thing we need. Sbisa is also playing himself into a top 4 role and it would be total lame sauce to lose him + more for Fleury. 

Yes, I thought so but you never know about CDC sometimes. It is friday night and seeing one post like yours will have lots of people making similar proposals all night. 

Miller will be gone as UFA unless he wants to come back under 4 mill on a 1 year deal. Demko needs at least one more year in the AHL, maybe two before he comes up as a backup. He won't be ready next season. 

Most likely we'll be signing a veteran backup on a one or two year deal, someone with ability to step up when needed. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes, I thought so but you never know about CDC sometimes. It is friday night and seeing one post like yours will have lots of people making similar proposals all night. 

Miller will be gone as UFA unless he wants to come back under 4 mill on a 1 year deal. Demko needs at least one more year in the AHL, maybe two before he comes up as a backup. He won't be ready next season. 

Most likely we'll be signing a veteran backup on a one or two year deal, someone with ability to step up when needed. 

Hahaha fair enough. 

Yes I agree, I suppose what I was trying to say by mentioning Demko and Garteig is that not only do we have capable goalies, we also have good prospects in the system who would eventually takeover even if we found space to move our current goalies for Fleury. We'll most definitely still have Markstrom, and we can always acquire a backup or somebody who can easily fill that role as a stopgap should Miller not re-sign. Though I'm confident that he will as I'm not currently aware of any California teams who would have roster space for him. 

I wouldn't mind us swapping Miller for Fleury +. Miller would be the perfect 1B for them. 

If we expose Markstrom and he gets claimed that means we don't lose Sbisa or Granlund. Granlund is on pace for 20 goals and just 23, Sbisa leads our team in +/- and is 3rd amongst D in points. I don't think Markstrom is THAT much more valuable than either one. And even still, not a guarantee he gets claimed. 

Miller for Fleury + conditional 1st/2nd round pick, or a 2nd round pick + a conditional 3rd. The conditions are based on how far the Pens go in the playoffs (either conference or cup final). Miller gets a chance to go far in the playoffs - Fleury can only pick 12 teams to avoid - I don't think Vancouver makes the cut. 

We pick up dime a dozen backup next season if Markstrom gets picked up, and then Thatcher plays behind Fleury the following year. 

13 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Why would they come out and say this? Presumably there would be some reason why they felt compelled to say this but I sure can't see the rationale.

They would come and say this for the same reason Benning says what he says; they are not Gillis, trying to be hush hush.

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Philly should be all over this. It'll heat up their rivalry too 

Philly already has every intention on protecting Anthony Stolarz in expansion. The last thing they want is to lose him.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Philly already has every intention on protecting Anthony Stolarz in expansion. The last thing they want is to lose him.

Didn't know he needed to be protected 

Was just thinking mason sucks and it would spice up their divisional rivalry lol 

On 14/01/2017 at 0:44 PM, apollo said:

Didn't know he needed to be protected 

Was just thinking mason sucks and it would spice up their divisional rivalry lol 

Yep, he is in his 3rd pro season (only 4 nhl games but that's not a prerequisite)

On 1/13/2017 at 11:56 PM, WHL rocks said:

It's possible. MAF sucks and can't be depended on in the playoffs. PIT gets Miller who's been great this year and get rid of a terrible contract. 

We get a late 1st. It will be tough to trade that contract in the summer but it could be done. Look at TO, they got rid of 2 terrible contracts, much worse and longer than MAF.

MAF is a Stanley Cup winning goalie he's anything but not dependable during the playoffs is not one of them. 

On 2017-01-13 at 3:06 PM, Neversummer said:

Um ... did you mean Fleury or Miller ?   To my memory, last time Miller tried something like this, it didn't go over very well ... Miller in St. Louis.  

Actually Miller played well and the Blues were shut out once and held to 1 goal twice that playoff year. 

Fleury is on the downswing of his career, but he was a 1st OA for a reason. Tremendous athletic ability. At times soft mentally, but incredibly talented.

Would actually be a good fit with Markstrom and Demko...

It would remind me of the time we brought in Felix Potvin. He was a big name in the same spot in his career.

That wasn't the best fit, but it was pretty cool at the time. Kept me entertained.

Archived