The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Bure named one of NHL's 100 Greatest Players

Harvey Spector

9 hours ago, darkpoet said:

The 80's were a joke. You had a fresh crop of next-gen kids who came along and had a step on guys skating-wise but please.... go look at footage of Gretzky shooting the puck. A 12 year old kid these days shoots it harder than he ever did.
Plus the goalies back then had the amount of gear that a forward does now.

Gretz benefited from being at the right place at the right time, along with a number of others in that era. It also didn't help that he was surrounded by a couple of goons that would slash your teeth out (or threaten to) if you dared touch him.

Bure was way more of a pure goal scorer. Not to mention he is one of the fastest forwards to ever put on a pair of skates, and could make plays at that speed that 99% (pun intended) of other guys couldn't even dream of. Do i need to mention he was a mean %$# %$@ as well? Hello Shane Churla? 

Not ranking the guy overall, but definitely Bure should have been 1st on our Ring of Dung ... i mean "Honour". 

/rant

Were the 1990's a joke as well?  

1993-1994 NHL Scoring Leaders:

Scoring leaders[edit]

Player Team GP G A Pts
Wayne Gretzky  (age 33) Los Angeles 81 38 92 130
Sergei Fedorov  (age 24) Detroit 82 56 64 120
Adam Oates Boston 77 32 80 112
Doug Gilmour Toronto 83 27 84 111
Pavel Bure  (age 23) Vancouver 76 60 47 107
Jeremy Roenick Chicago 84 46 61 107
Mark Recchi Philadelphia 84 40 67 107
Brendan Shanahan  (age 24) St. Louis 81 52 50 102
Dave Andreychuk Toronto 83 53 46 99
Jaromir Jagr  (age 22) Pittsburgh 80 32 67 99

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

Keith has 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Norris, 2  Olympic Golds, and a Conn Smythe.

You don't have to like him but I think he's pretty worthy to be in the top 100.

Not sure why people keep bringing up Cup wins in this....unless he was like Patrick Roy in 1986, that achievement reflects more the team he was on than an individual feat.

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Typical NHL garbage list 

how could the Sedins not be on it? 

1000 points does not get you on the list? 

Sort of like Dick Duff getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame because he was on 6 Stanley Cup teams, 2 with Toronto and 4 with Montreal. In Duff's best year he had 53 points in 1959. That same year Gordie Howe had 78. Boom Boom Geoffrion had 66, Bobby Hull had 81. With the Stanley Cup Bias the HHOF has, I'm surprised that Bure made the HHOF and Top 100. 

42 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not sure why people keep bringing up Cup wins in this....unless he was like Patrick Roy in 1986, that achievement reflects more the team he was on than an individual feat.

Nope....cups matter. That's way people respect Toews and someone we watch (33) isn't in the same class.

8 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Nope....cups matter. That's way people respect Toews and someone we watch (33) isn't in the same class.

Yeah right, that's why Semenko > Marcel Dionne.

**** Toews anyhow.  And the guy I quoted was referencing Keith - a sack of **** that the league let him gets away with anything on the ice (Sedin wasn't the only guy he cheapshot)...so **** him even more.

2 hours ago, Darius71 said:

If they were all the same age and up for the draft today and you had the first over all pick who would you pick?

I would take Lemieux  - he was a giant and he would probably dominate todays style game more than the other two...

No question! Super Mario all the way. 

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah right, that's why Semenko > Marcel Dionne.

**** Toews anyhow.  And the guy I quoted was referencing Keith - a sack of **** that the league let him gets away with anything on the ice (Sedin wasn't the only guy he cheapshot)...so **** him even more.

Yea valid point but Semenko vs Dionne is a bad comparison.

Hey we all hate Keith. He's still an awesome player. Although I think Drew is better.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Typical NHL garbage list 

I suspect its because they are somewhat one dimensional players in that they did not play any defensive roles on the team and did not lead their team to a Stanley Cup. Agree with others though they should be ahead of the current Hawk Players.

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I suspect its because they are somewhat one dimensional players in that they did not play any defensive roles on the team and did not lead their team to a Stanley Cup. Agree with others though they should be ahead of the current Hawk Players.

To be fair, during their "peak", we had a legit Selke winner at center [in his prime] as well as elite (defensively) Burrows [in his prime] riding shotgun (both with Kesler & the twins).  Then Manny behind that.

There wasn't any need for the twins to handle defensive roles then (better for the team to have them in offensive roles exclusively - though I do remember Crow using the twins on the PK a bit early in their careers.

Bure.. incredible.

Just knowing he had jumped over the boards would have you on the edge of your seat with your jaw loose.

Even in this era Bure would dominate,. the evolution of skates, equipment and sticks would only have made his game excel even more.  

Such a fast, exciting,creative player.   That level and type of game he brought may never be matched.

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Typical NHL garbage list 

I dunno.  Do you consider Ray Whitney one of the top 100 of all time?  Patrik Elias?  They have 1,000 points.

Recchi has >1,500 points and isn't even in the HOF.  Andreychuk has >1,300 and is on the outside looking in.

The Sedins are great, but top 100 of all time is far from a given.  Some great players didn't make this list.

After leaving Vancouver his numbers in Florida were still big until injuries into his New York years as he was winding down his career were still remarkable.

My all time fave Canuck who would lift you from your seat and have ya pumping your fist in the air and saying YAH!

2 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

toews/kane/keith should not be there. Guys like Chara, Malkin, Thorton, Iginla, Sedins are all ahead of them.

Thornton and malkin should be on the list, iginla maybe, chara and sedins no. Cups matter, that's why some of those guys were left off.

keith is a dominant defensmen with 2 norris trophies, 3 cups, conn, definitely deserves to be up there. 

Archived