The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TL: No situation where we mortgage future to make playoff push

ftmN

Management is only going to make a move that will help the team get younger and better. Only guy that I can see going are pending FAs Miller and Burrows but I doubt it happens considering they're mentoring the team and teaching the young guns how to play the game the right way. Sbisa is real strong candidate that can possibly be moved but I doubt he will considering the great bounce back season he's had and is just hitting his prime. I think the team will be patient and stay put. 

1 hour ago, Iggynucks said:

I don't know why everyone assumes that Edler will be protected in the expansion draft. It would be the perfect opportunity to rid themselves the poor contract of a player on a steady decline. My protection list would be : Henrik, Daniel, Eriksson, Horvat, Baertschi, Hansen, Granlund, Tanev, Gudbransson, and Sbisa.

No way you protect Sbisa over Edler. I like Sbisa but come on...

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

But wouldn't it be great if that player was Dorsett or Bulldog, instead of Sven, Granny or Sbisus?

I wouldn't say it's hysteria, it's just something to talk about like

Reveal hidden contents

"Asset Management" haha

Sure it would, but if you are a serious contender for the Cup you are not worrying about who you lose when the season is over.

I just scanned the Capitals roster, 10 forwards and 8 D that are easily within picking age.

They are not a team trying to get younger like the Canucks. The  Caps will expose 3 forwards and 5 D, no harm in them adding at the deadline.

Do you remember the Swedish (I think) guy the Canucks exposed through all the expansion drafts in the 90s? He hadn't played in the NHL in at least 6-7 years and yet he kept appearing in expansion and Waiver draft lists

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

A top-4 D-man is still worth a 1st round pick, especially when he's being paid about what 2nd-pairing D-men are getting on the open market.

Pretty sure Hamhuis is viewed as a better defenseman than Edler and he couldn't fetch a first rounder (although I concede Hamhuis would've been possibly just a rental). Not saying it couldn't happen but I think the ship has sailed on getting anything significant for Edler. I just think freeing up $5 million in cap space gives better flexibility. I'm actually not sold on Gudbransson being worth what I assume he's going to get paid either. Although he plays a much different game than Edler he hasn't shown me he has the puck skills to be a top 4 defender (small sample size on a new team though) but I really like his attitude and willingness to be physical. I guarantee Benning won't leave him unprotected after what he gave up to get him.

2 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Pretty sure Hamhuis is viewed as a better defenseman than Edler and he couldn't fetch a first rounder (although I concede Hamhuis would've been possibly just a rental). Not saying it couldn't happen but I think the ship has sailed on getting anything significant for Edler. I just think freeing up $5 million in cap space gives better flexibility. I'm actually not sold on Gudbransson being worth what I assume he's going to get paid either. Although he plays a much different game than Edler he hasn't shown me he has the puck skills to be a top 4 defender (small sample size on a new team though) but I really like his attitude and willingness to be physical. I guarantee Benning won't leave him unprotected after what he gave up to get him.

Hamhuis is better than Edler??  OKAY......

9 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

No way you protect Sbisa over Edler. I like Sbisa but come on...

Just watch Edler closely for the rest of the year. His turnovers and poor decisions cost the team constantly. The goaltenders bail him out quite a bit so the the errors are not as amplified. Every now and then Edler has a game that reminds me of the Edler of old but just too inconsistent for the $5 million they're paying him. Whereas Sbisa is 3 years younger and has gotten better each year he's been here. He'll never produce the offensive numbers that Edler used to put up but I don't see Edler ever putting those numbers up again either.

1 minute ago, Iggynucks said:

Just watch Edler closely for the rest of the year. His turnovers and poor decisions cost the team constantly. The goaltenders bail him out quite a bit so the the errors are not as amplified. Every now and then Edler has a game that reminds me of the Edler of old but just too inconsistent for the $5 million they're paying him. Whereas Sbisa is 3 years younger and has gotten better each year he's been here. He'll never produce the offensive numbers that Edler used to put up but I don't see Edler ever putting those numbers up again either.

Sbisa has had 1 good season. Ever. Edler has been a staple on our top pairing for how long? This is basically a contract year for everyone without a NMC. I'd be weary of just throwing Edler to the curb for Sbisa. 

I'm not even saying I disagree with you. Just a different side of the story. 

12 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Hamhuis is better than Edler??  OKAY......

Last 5 seasons

Hamhuis:

ar Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM Hits Bks                    

2012-13 VAN 47 4 20 24 9 12 47 63                    
2013-14 VAN 79 5 17 22 13 26 87 130                    
2014-15 VAN 59 1 22 23 0 44 82 71                    
2015-16 VAN 58 3 10 13 -2 28 64 72                    
2016-17 DAL 48 1 9 10 6 8 57 61

Edler:

Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM Hits Bks                    

2012-13 VAN 45 8 14 22 -5 37 77 81                    
2013-14 VAN 63 7 15 22 -39 50 112 136                    
2014-15 VAN 74 8 23 31 13 54 94 126                    
2015-16 VAN 52 6 14 20 -8 46 84 106                    
2016-17 VAN 36 1 8 9 -9 12 68 78  

Pretty comparable numbers.

12 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Sbisa has had 1 good season. Ever. Edler has been a staple on our top pairing for how long? This is basically a contract year for everyone without a NMC. I'd be weary of just throwing Edler to the curb for Sbisa. 

I'm not even saying I disagree with you. Just a different side of the story. 

I agree with you as well. Just everyone assumes its a forgone conclusion that Edler will be protected over Sbisa.

17 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Not sure if your previous bias towards Edler has clouded your view of his play this year in comparisons to Sbisa. Let's look at some basic numbers for this season.

Edler vs. Sbisa

TOI: 24:11 vs. 18:46

OZS% 50.8% vs. 50.0%

CF% 49% vs. 46.9%

Pts: 1/8/9 vs. 2/10/12

And for your observation of Edler constantly putting our goalies in a pickle...

TK/GV: 11/19 vs. 7/29

So if you argue that Edler is on a downward trend vs. his prime while Luca is showing upside being 3 years younger, I'd agree. But by pure performance, I'd still protect Edler. Also one needs to realize that the guy eats up 24 min a game and there is no guarantee that Sbisa can maintain his current (already inferior to Edler) play with higher minutes.  I like Sbisa, but I'd pick Edler over him.

4 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

Not sure if your previous bias towards Edler has clouded your view of his play this year in comparisons to Sbisa. Let's look at some basic numbers for this season.

Edler vs. Sbisa

TOI: 24:11 vs. 18:46

OZS% 50.8% vs. 50.0%

CF% 49% vs. 46.9%

Pts: 1/8/9 vs. 2/10/12

And for your observation of Edler constantly putting our goalies in a pickle...

TK/GV: 11/19 vs. 7/29

So if you argue that Edler is on a downward trend vs. his prime while Luca is showing upside being 3 years younger, I'd agree. But by pure performance, I'd still protect Edler. Also one needs to realize that the guy eats up 24 min a game and there is no guarantee that Sbisa can maintain his current (already inferior to Edler) play with higher minutes.  I like Sbisa, but I'd pick Edler over him.

Perhaps. I'm just ready to move on from Edler, have been for the last year or two (basically ever since I feel Torts destroyed his confidence). Maybe its because I used to be such a big fan of his but now constantly find myself getting frustrated at his decisions several times a game. I just feel a change of scenery would be best for all.

3 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Perhaps. I'm just ready to move on from Edler, have been for the last year or two (basically ever since I feel Torts destroyed his confidence). Maybe its because I used to be such a big fan of his but now constantly find myself getting frustrated at his decisions several times a game. I just feel a change of scenery would be best for all.

I don't disagree. I also had very high expectations for him especially around our 2011 run. It just seems since his back injury, he was never the same. With this said, he's still the work horse on this D and a steady minute eater and anchor for the young guys. There's value to this as mentioned by TL and I strongly believe that. I have no problem moving on from Edler if the return is right but saying I'd expose him before Sbisa, I can't fathom this logic. 

Linden did not right off the potential of a trade. He said that things were fluid and the next few weeks will tell a lot. Also mentioned that things might start to heat up as far as trades go. No rentals but did not right off the thought of protecting themselves from the expansion. He mentioned that there would also be time after the season to prepare for the expansion draft. (I never thought about that)

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Sbisa and Gudbranson are not worth 1st round picks to any GM that knows how to evaluate D-men. Neither of these guys have ever been legit top-4 D-men in their careers and neither has much potential.

Edler has been a top-4 D-man for almost his entire career, and still is. He's a 2nd-pair D-man on most teams, 1st-pair on some and 3rd-pair on none (maybe NSH).

There is nothing out there that suggests that Sbisa or Gudbranson are better than Edler other than the confirmation bias you experience whenever Edler breaks a stick or gets a shot blocked.

kaka

54 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Hamhuis is not better than Edler; he is older and has started his decline. Edler is worth significantly more this year compared to Hamhuis last year as he's younger, not coming off a major injury and isn't an upcoming UFA.

The fact that you think Gudbranson "has the puck skills to be a top-4" is troubling. Gudbranson has absolutely no puck skills, and if he did, both his traditional and advanced stat numbers would be stronger. He treats the puck like it's a live grenade.

28 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

I agree with you as well. Just everyone assumes its a forgone conclusion that Edler will be protected over Sbisa.

The only reason it isn't a foregone conclusion is because we have a management team that has a history of extremely questionable decision-making.

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Hamhuis is not better than Edler; he is older and has started his decline. Edler is worth significantly more this year compared to Hamhuis last year as he's younger, not coming off a major injury and isn't an upcoming UFA.

The fact that you think Gudbranson "has the puck skills to be a top-4" is troubling. Gudbranson has absolutely no puck skills, and if he did, both his traditional and advanced stat numbers would be stronger. He treats the puck like it's a live grenade.

The only reason it isn't a foregone conclusion is because we have a management team that has a history of extremely questionable decision-making.

I suggest you read my comments on Gudbransson closer. And you mention Hamhuis has already started his decline. The same can be said for Edler while Sbisa is on the upswing.

Just now, Iggynucks said:

I suggest you read my comments on Gudbransson closer. And you mention Hamhuis has already started his decline. The same can be said for Edler while Sbisa is on the upswing.

Edler has just changed his game from what it was a few years ago. He won't be putting the offensive numbers he was once did, but he still does a good job of defending top forwards and is still an excellent puck-mover. 

Sbisa has improved from a #8 D-man to a #6 over two years. That's about his max potential, he does not have the tools or IQ to be a top-4 D-man.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Sure it would, but if you are a serious contender for the Cup you are not worrying about who you lose when the season is over.

I just scanned the Capitals roster, 10 forwards and 8 D that are easily within picking age.

They are not a team trying to get younger like the Canucks. The  Caps will expose 3 forwards and 5 D, no harm in them adding at the deadline.

Do you remember the Swedish (I think) guy the Canucks exposed through all the expansion drafts in the 90s? He hadn't played in the NHL in at least 6-7 years and yet he kept appearing in expansion and Waiver draft lists

That's a good argument (Caps example) to help settle my anxiety over being handcuffed and having Sbisa or Baer ripped away from us. I assume it would be Sbisa though, given the cap floor Vegas will have to build towards.

I don't remember the Swede you mention. I was a teen for most of the 90's, a die hard Canucks fan, but I didn't follow the business end of things. I just followed the business end of girls to parties, dreamed of being a pro snowboarder and smoking pot for a living... 

Archived