The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TL: No situation where we mortgage future to make playoff push

ftmN

Notes: 

- Talks about Hank's milestone goal, how cool situation and fans were.

- Definitely plans to highlight sedin(s) 1000 points in Rogers Arena after Daniel reaches milestone. 

- Talks about Bo's allstar game, how his game has rounded out and how level headed he is. 

- Trade Deadline will depend on teams results up to the deadline. 

- No situation where they mortgage for rentals to make playoff push. 

- Will make a deal if trade makes sense with situation of team (getting younger). 

- Talks about respecting NTC players by not approaching them to waive, not wanting to distract players from games with trade talk. 

- Exposed lists for vegas team; talks about all the unique variables. Will do what they can about trying to not lose a player, will look at all options (trading etc). 

- Didn't elaborate on who they will be exposing, will evaluate over remaining play and off season work. 

- Comments on strong defense group, mentions Subban still needs to get better defensively. 

- Philosophy on draft: looking to add draft picks but are primarily focused on draft picks they currently have. 

- Mentions Gaudette and how well he has been playing this season, how he was hidden in the draft due to being in the college system. 

- Has his eye on some current college UFA's, will be attempting to find another Troy Stecher. 

- Sedin's upcoming contract talks are on hold until next season, would love to keep them until retirement. 

- Seems to be sticking to young players learning with experienced players, doesn't seem like veterans will be moved out. 

- Talks about Nikita's hard work becoming strong and fit in the gym, has been sticking to the program/diet. 

- Virtanen is learning a lot and is continuing to build toward being a good pro. 

Seems like it could be another quiet TD and draft!

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Overall, happy with these points.

Would rather they move a package(eg:Sbisa, Gran), for more youth, due to expansion. However, it's likely 28 or even 29 other fanbases have the same feeling. Must be a lousy market for selling pieces that require protection.

I bet. It's a beauty catch 22 this year if you believe a player or two will get you to the cup.

GM's of legit contenders are kinda damned if they do, damned if they don't. I still expect a few teams to add, probably see a bunch of conditional 2nd / 3rd round picks traded for depth.

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Overall, happy with these points.

Would rather they move a package(eg:Sbisa, Gran), for more youth, due to expansion. However, it's likely 28 or even 29 other fanbases have the same feeling. Must be a lousy market for selling pieces that require protection.

Totally agree... Out of +'s sorry.

Think people expecting a lot of trades or any trades at all sets them selves up for huge disappointment. All the clubs are in the same boat...

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think people expecting a lot of trades or any trades at all sets them selves up for huge disappointment. All the clubs are in the same boat...

Pretty much. Except for a small handful of serious contenders who feel they need to go for it and a small handful of bottom feeders who have nobody worth protecting. Draft picks and prospects were never so valuable before. Teams with few players worth/needing protecting who still have all their draft picks have a great chance to improve their teams this year.

I don't know why everyone assumes that Edler will be protected in the expansion draft. It would be the perfect opportunity to rid themselves the poor contract of a player on a steady decline. My protection list would be : Henrik, Daniel, Eriksson, Horvat, Sutter, Baertschi, Hansen/Granlund, Tanev, Gudbransson, and Sbisa.

9 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

I don't know why everyone assumes that Edler will be protected in the expansion draft. It would be the perfect opportunity to rid themselves the poor contract of a player on a steady decline. My protection list would be : Henrik, Daniel, Eriksson, Horvat, Baertschi, Hansen, Granlund, Tanev, Gudbransson, and Sbisa.

You make a good point if they can't trade him/he's not willing to waive.  But that goes against their plan of having vets to help the rookies along the way, and Edler is just that. 

11 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

I don't know why everyone assumes that Edler will be protected in the expansion draft. It would be the perfect opportunity to rid themselves the poor contract of a player on a steady decline. My protection list would be : Henrik, Daniel, Eriksson, Horvat, Baertschi, Hansen, Granlund, Tanev, Gudbransson, and Sbisa.

Edler is still a solid 2/3 D-man on a very fair contract. Letting him go for free and/or prioritizing Gudbranson/Sbisa over him is asinine.

If he was willing to accept a trade, he's easily worth a 1st round pick. If he's not willing to move, he's still valuable to keep around as a solid veteran.

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Edler is still a solid 2/3 D-man on a very fair contract. Letting him go for free and/or prioritizing Gudbranson/Sbisa over him is asinine.

If he was willing to accept a trade, he's easily worth a 1st round pick. If he's not willing to move, he's still valuable to keep around as a solid veteran.

How is valuing Gudbranson  and/or Sbisa over Edler moving forward "assinine."   They're all worth a 1st round pick - they'd all be a significant loss - if it came down to a choice between the three it's nowhere near as obvious as you're stating it imo.

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Questionable, maybe. Asinine, absolutely not. I used to be Edler's biggest fan but his constant mental lapses to the defensive side of his game and declining offense make him expendable. His offensive output used to make up for his boneheaded turnovers but $5 million can be put to better use. I agree a trade would be ideal but the fact you think he can easily fetch a first round pick is what is really asinine. The fact that management has stated they will not ask players to waive and the fact that Edler has shown he has no desire to be traded makes the trade scenario unlikely.

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

How about just one trade. Two? Any kind of pick acquisition would stand out as of today. 

Not sure I'm expecting "a lot" of trades, representing the posters who are hoping for a bunch of picks or prospects coming back in trades. 

9 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Questionable, maybe. Asinine, absolutely not. I used to be Edler's biggest fan but his constant mental lapses to the defensive side of his game and declining offense make him expendable. His offensive output used to make up for his boneheaded turnovers but $5 million can be put to better use. I agree a trade would be ideal but the fact you think he can easily fetch a first round pick is what is really asinine. The fact that management has stated they will not ask players to waive and the fact that Edler has shown he has no desire to be traded makes the trade scenario unlikely.

Also, if we expose him and Vegas does not take him, it may light a fire under his arse.

I like the fact that Las Vegas can cut pre-deadline deals, including future considerations deals where they can take a pick or prospect in exchange for selecting or not selecting particular players in the expansion draft.

It certainly puts a different spin on potential deals.

Anyone who has paid close enough attention to what the management team has said and done at the trade deadline over the last two and a half seasons would already know that they haven't and aren't going to make any short-term rental trades involving picks and/or prospects. Any notion that this was even a consideration for JB and company is just baseless fear-mongering.

If they're lying this year, then shame on me.

19 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

Agreed. You see him like an all star, the odd night - then he goes MIA, except noticing endless broken sticks.

55 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I bet. It's a beauty catch 22 this year if you believe a player or two will get you to the cup.

GM's of legit contenders are kinda damned if they do, damned if they don't. I still expect a few teams to add, probably see a bunch of conditional 2nd / 3rd round picks traded for depth.

I am not really buying all this hysteria about Vegas. 

If the Canucks lose Sbisa they keep Granny and Baer, if they lose Baer they keep Sbisa and Granny. 

If a team has 5 players they might lose but think they can make a run, why not add 2 or 3 more?

They are going to lose one player no matter what.

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

I am not really buying all this hysteria about Vegas. 

If the Canucks lose Sbisa they keep Granny and Baer, if they lose Baer they keep Sbisa and Granny. 

If a team has 5 players they might lose but think they can make a run, why not add 2 or 3 more?

They are going to lose one player no matter what.

But wouldn't it be great if that player was Dorsett or Bulldog, instead of Sven, Granny or Sbisus?

I wouldn't say it's hysteria, it's just something to talk about like

Spoiler

"Asset Management" haha

41 minutes ago, oldnews said:

How is valuing Gudbranson  and/or Sbisa over Edler moving forward "assinine."   They're all worth a 1st round pick - they'd all be a significant loss - if it came down to a choice between the three it's nowhere near as obvious as you're stating it imo.

Sbisa and Gudbranson are not worth 1st round picks to any GM that knows how to evaluate D-men. Neither of these guys have ever been legit top-4 D-men in their careers and neither has much potential.

Edler has been a top-4 D-man for almost his entire career, and still is. He's a 2nd-pair D-man on most teams, 1st-pair on some and 3rd-pair on none (maybe NSH).

There is nothing out there that suggests that Sbisa or Gudbranson are better than Edler other than the confirmation bias you experience whenever Edler breaks a stick or gets a shot blocked.

39 minutes ago, Iggynucks said:

A top-4 D-man is still worth a 1st round pick, especially when he's being paid about what 2nd-pairing D-men are getting on the open market.

Archived