The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lasik Eye Surgery

Sean Monahan

I'm looking into Lasik because it's required for my career so I've called around on prices and read some reviews, and it's been a pretty mixed bag so far. Pacific Eye Centre, which has a 4.7/5 rating on Google, charges $1550-2050 per eye. Lasik MD charges only $480-1090 per eye and has a 4.3/5 rating on Google. Coal Harbour Eye Centre charges $3580 for both eyes and gets a 4.4/5 on Google. I tried calling London Eye Centre, which seems to be the place with the most notoriety, but they closed at 1 today so I'll have to try tomorrow. Lasik MD being vastly cheaper has me a little suspicious but the ratings seem good.

Anybody had Lasik done in the area, and if so, where'd you do it? What did you pay, how was the service, quality, etc. I'm looking for any help I can get.

Thanks for any and all (helpful/constructive) input.

I went to London Eye.

Luckily and completely by chance I was teaching the consultant I ended up seeing's kid swimming lessons at the time, and he managed to get me a discount on my surgery.  Ended up spending a little over $1000 per eye.

Been a little over half a year now, haven't had any issues and everything worked out exactly as I hoped.

Prepare yourself though, the first week after the procedure SUCKS.  It's a persistent genuinely uncomfortable feeling, and I couldn't open my eyes at all for about 3 days.

My wife had it done here in Calgary last year, and it has been worth every penny.

But as Jager said, the first week after sucks. You'll be totally out of commission for at least 72 hours, and severely limited for a week. And you're supposed to stay in a dark room most of the time, and not look at screens - so make sure to line up a few audiobooks beforehand.

Cutting slices off of your eyeballs with a laser seems like it would be one of those things that you don't want to try to save money on. As much as it hurts the pocketbook, I would go with the ones that aren't suspiciously cheap. Despite surprisingly decent reviews. That 0.4 point review difference means something. Your eyes will thank you. 

As tempting as Shakey Joe's Discount Eyeball-Lazerin' and VCR Repair sounds. 

29 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm looking into Lasik because it's required for my career so I've called around on prices and read some reviews, and it's been a pretty mixed bag so far. Pacific Eye Centre, which has a 4.7/5 rating on Google, charges $1550-2050 per eye. Lasik MD charges only $480-1090 per eye and has a 4.3/5 rating on Google. Coal Harbour Eye Centre charges $3580 for both eyes and gets a 4.4/5 on Google. I tried calling London Eye Centre, which seems to be the place with the most notoriety, but they closed at 1 today so I'll have to try tomorrow. Lasik MD being vastly cheaper has me a little suspicious but the ratings seem good.

Anybody had Lasik done in the area, and if so, where'd you do it? What did you pay, how was the service, quality, etc. I'm looking for any help I can get.

Thanks for any and all (helpful/constructive) input.

I got PRK done at London Eye in New West  about 18 months ago and really liked them (I got this procedure: http://www.lasereye.com/procedures/no-touch-prk). I did this one over the 'flap and zap' because PRK is better if you're active. I paid $2,500 and thats for the whole thing including all the follow-up appointments. 

But yah the 1st week is pretty painful, I wouldn't plan on doing much for the 1st week at least and then you are functional but I'd say it took me about 6-8 weeks to get back to feeling normal, but I had a pretty heavy prescription. 

Had Lasik done in Victoria in 2010. It's the best money I ever spent. Had it done at Clearly Lasik.

Dr. King who performs the surgery has performed over 10K procedures. He owns many clinics in BC, Alberta and Washington State and travels around doing the surgeries.

Fun fact, Dr, King's former partner hired a hitman to kill him some years ago in a failed murder for hire plot. Dude got 20 years for his trouble. 

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/eye-surgeon-gets-20-years-in-murder-for-hire-plot-1.619929

Not sure why people are saying you'd be out of commission for 3-7 days. I was fine with no complaints after 24 hours. No pain at all, just a 1 week regimen of drops to take.

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm researching about Visian-ICL procedure as my cornea are a bit thin.  Costs about $7000+... but it doesn't involve cutting your eyes in any way... either than the incision to insert the lense inside your eye.  

I had a look at that too. There can also be complications with implants even if they are removable, but its a neat option for sure. I went with PRK because of the long history and well known complications and treatments for those if they happen. But its definitely a personal choice thing when it comes to tissue removal, if thats the #1 issue for you the implant route could be the right thing. 

I'll add that I went to London because they do both Lasik flaps and PRK so they don't have an incentive to give you one over the other, where some places just do the flap procedures because that's the only equipment they have. 

I've looked into getting Lasik for quite some time and will be going with Intralase (Bladeless Lasik).

The reason recovery from PRK can be longer and more difficult is that they're basically shaping the cornea by shaping the surface with the laser. Leaving the shaped cornea exposed is what takes longer to heal and can be more uncomfortable.

Bladeless Lasik creates a flap via a laser, then shapes the exposed cornea by laser before the flap is then reinserted. It results in minimal discomfort and much quicker healing, usually within a day or two. I know a couple of guys who've done this and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I went to Lasik MD in Edmonton, don't be fooled by their low estimates, after you spend a couple of hours being assessed their prices come up in line with everybody else- it cost me $3000 and my prescription was only 20/50. Totally worth it though, and my recovery was more like nuckin_futz's, I played golf 24 hours later (probably shouldn't have though). 

i think i paid around 1100 per eye when i had it done, there were a couple different types of surgery so you need to do a consult appointment to see which ones you are eligible for. I wasnt eligible for the cheapest which was around 500 per eye. Also for me i didnt have any issues after the surgery unlike the posters above who said they did for the first few days or a week so i guess it will vary per person. Also make sure you look at the possible side effects to see if they would be a problem for you.

My Eye Doctor recommended London Eye Centre, if my eye doctor recommends them, that's good enough for me. Now that I need progressive lenses, I figure there's no point. 

If I was 20 again sure. My contacts are fine. Wearing glasses on occasion is fine. I just won't be a fighter pilot. Except in War Thunder. ;)

21 hours ago, Sygvard said:

Cutting slices off of your eyeballs with a laser seems like it would be one of those things that you don't want to try to save money on. As much as it hurts the pocketbook, I would go with the ones that aren't suspiciously cheap. Despite surprisingly decent reviews. That 0.4 point review difference means something. Your eyes will thank you. 

As tempting as Shakey Joe's Discount Eyeball-Lazerin' and VCR Repair sounds. 

don't be such a snob. Shakey Joe gave me a high quality out-patient hernia repair at a discounted rate, AND i got three new Blu Rays out of the deal, too

Thanks for the feedback. I'm aware that going cheap on eye surgery isn't the greatest idea but if it's still quality work then it's worth looking into. 

As for the recovery and whatnot, I've read plenty about the surgeries and I was more so looking for reviews of the various  establishments and their doctors. I just got off the phone with London Eye Centre- maybe I'm an easy sale but it sounds fantastic. $1500 per eye (not including a $100-200 discount per eye as a police recruit) which covers everything from the operation to the post-surgery followups and eye drops. I've been told it includes absolutely everything, plus they offer a lifetime guarantee and free work to repair any regression in vision. LEC seems like the most reputable place so I'm comfortable with them. I've got a consultation tomorrow morning.

Lasik MD in Calgary back in Dec 2006 - I can't believe that was over 10 years ago now!

No issues at all except for how sore one eye was after the procedure (I wasn't prepared for the smell after they did the first eye - made me tense up when they did the 2nd and the key is to be relaxed).

Cost me $3,300 ish total as I required a special procedure due to astigmatism in one eye and something else that I can't remember.

Archived