The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Bruins

-Vintage Canuck-

Miller had a bit of an off day.  Two he should have stopped, though one of those was sort of excusable and the blame can be laid on Hutton for both the give away and the screen.  A bit more puck luck (post/cross bar) could have changed things as well.  Neither goalie was stellar.  The Canucks played a decent game, but didn't quite get the job done.  An entertaining game for a loss.  The playoffs are a long shot from here, so here's  hoping we can have good luck on the lottery at least.  We're due that at least.

1 hour ago, NHTyrany said:

The Bruins deserved the two points more than the Nucks but a three point game would have been the fairest outcome considering the swings in momentum. Time to move on. This team has won several undeserved games because of puck luck or goaltending so it's evening out to what we are: a want to be bubble team with a stale top line and a less than dynamic coach. At least I see hope for improvement next year. 

It was an even game where both goalies looked human. Miller let in a softie and the Canucks got better in the second half of the game. Also, our top line is the Horvat line. Sedin line is moving down the chart. I think the Canucks have more so deserved to win their games, they work hard even though they aren't very talented. I also don't think any other coach would be better, does WD make confusing decisions sometimes? Yes, but he's a developing coach more so than a "win now" coach.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

L

We need an effective GM to move this club forward. If  JIm Benning is not up to the job then it is time for him to go. 

He has built up the defense with solid picks and signings, Granlund, Sutter and Bearstchi look like smart moves and has drafted rather well.  This team is performing well above expectations of almost everyone on the god damn planet......   I'd say Jim Benning is doing a damn fine job turning this around.  

3 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

so here's  hoping we can have good luck on the lottery at least.  We're due that at least.

Boy, you're in for something. How many countless draft lotteries have we lost? What makes this year different?

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

That's your strongest argument for WD yet.

The yawn was actually directed at that ridiculous comment about "trolling".

If that's trolling, then every last post of you obsessive Willie Watchers is trolling, every single time you call for him to be fired.  Every bit as "trolling" as suggesting that the team put out a great effort or that the coach deserves an extension for the way the team has performed this year.

That attitude that the counterpoint opinion is "trolling" is beneath you.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

Only way to get a clean, unbiased take on where we're really at as a team is to stop reading/listening to TSN 1040, The Sun and The Province for six months. I tried it this year and now everything is clear, it is amazing. And so refreshing.

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

It's amazing the difference it makes, I find. There is no substitute for an individual perspective. That media nag has a way of seeping in and contaminating everything.

It's TMZ1040's job to get ratings, but by constantly riding self-promoting ego-clowns like Pratt, Sekeres, Botchford, Gallagher, and their ilk, in the process of trying to create "chatter" (the so-called "goalie controversies" being the most inane of them all) they intentionally or inadvertantly pollute the impressionable of the fanbase with negativity and paranoia to where they don't trust a word anyone in the organization speaks and question every move with a microscope through poop-stained glasses.  End result is confusion, constant negativity, perpetual despair, and an inferiority complex.

Indeed -- step away from those refuse generators and not only does the stink cease, but the skies actually have a blue tint to them.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I am not a tanker by any means, but I was a little relieved that we lost.

The fancy stats people currently have us with a 5% chance of making the playoffs.  They calculate things like quality of opposition coming up, odds of other teams winning their games, 3 point games, games between teams ahead of us where points are guaranteed to one team or the other...

Our season is mathematically over, and it is just the extra point games that make everyone look like they are in it until the last minute.  Knowing the likelihood of missing the playoffs, and reacting to that, is very different than tankers going into a season wanting to lose badly.

If we are fairly well out of contention points wise by the end of the road trip, we can probably expect some roster movement before the deadline and that would be a good thing.

Canucks are now tied with Dallas, Winnipeg, Buffalo, and Detroit... for points above only Colorado and Arizona.  Tampa and Carolina are one point up, so they're within a point of being anywhere from 3rd to 9th last.  Considering the schedule ahead, they're clinging to avoid sole possession of that bottom seeding.  After the road trip they play Calgary on HNIC then Philly then have their break.  With 10 days until the TDL it will likely be quite clear by then what direction the team is headed, so the timing this year is good at least.

Here is what i want to see....   Move any ( or as many )  of the following :

Hank

Loui E 

Danny

Burrows

Hansen

Tanev

Edler

Miller

All things considered, they're all movable to me. I like some better than others, but wouldn't shed tears for any of them moving along. 

16 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

He has built up the defense with solid picks and signings, Granlund, Sutter and Bearstchi look like smart moves and has drafted rather well.  This team is performing well above expectations of almost everyone on the god damn planet......   I'd say Jim Benning is doing a damn fine job turning this around.  

Well do you really think 26th overall as a club is performing well over expectations.......

Are you serious ?  What were expectations ?   I would suggest the club is right about where it was predicted to be...  a bottom 5 club.

Jim Benning has not really accomplished anything once again this year from what i can see.  

Interesting game today, we looked good at times, and terrible at other points. Miller had a couple go in that he probably wants back. Henrik had a couple misses that he probably wants back, Bo too actually. D core was not great, Bruins played a pretty good transition game off our mistakes. We beat ourselves more than anything today I'd say.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The yawn was actually directed at that ridiculous comment about "trolling".

If that's trolling, then every last post of you obsessive Willie Watchers is trolling, every single time you call for him to be fired.  Every bit as "trolling" as suggesting that the team put out a great effort or that the coach deserves an extension for the way the team has performed this year.

That attitude that the counterpoint opinion is "trolling" is beneath you.

It was actually supposed to be tongue-in-cheek.  Lost in translation apparently. 

As for WD, I am not as impressed with his a achievements as you are but we already have had that discussion.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Don't worry about WD's deployment. What he see's on the ice, in the locker room and at practice is a completely different view than we have from TV's and box scores. People are radically under appreciating where this team is after the amount of adversity they have gone through this season. Gets no credit for how well a lot of the young players have progressed. He has exceeded my expectations when it comes to managing youth.  

Yeah we don't know all the details of what's going on.  I've considered that perhaps he's holding back the reins on Horvat to keep him from front-running his development too fast, but then as he said again today it's his job to win and get the team points so putting out the best player on the ice would have made the most sense.  Not doing so not only harms the team but himself, so he didn't do it for whatever reason.

Here is what i want to see....   Move any ( or as many )  of the following :

Hank

Loui E 

Danny

Burrows

Hansen

Tanev

Edler

Miller

So it's a remake of Logan's Run?  Anyone over 29 goes to Carousel.

What was the best line tonight?  Horvat Burrows Hansen -- two of which are in your list.  There's a reason why that small handful of vets are still on the team.

Archived