The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

18 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I don't know how Derek Roy is at this point in his career or much of anything about Andrew Gordan but I can tell you that Chad Billins and Patrick Mullen are not even good AHL players.  I don't see how this is a better situation for the Canucks over having Dahlen playing in North America for their coaching staf in the AHL. 

If Derek Roy was ANY good still, he'd be an NHLer .   Actually, the Derek Roy NHLer was trash (at least at the stage in his career when he was a Canuck YEARS ago).   Heh, I STILL remember Bryon Ritchie  of all people leading his team in scoring (Modo) one season in the SEL.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If Derek Roy was ANY good still, he'd be an NHLer .   Actually, the Derek Roy NHLer was trash (at least at the stage in his career when he was a Canuck YEARS ago).   Heh, I STILL remember Bryon Ritchie  of all people leading his team in scoring (Modo) one season in the SEL.

Roy was great for Buffalo for awhile.  I always remember rick jeanneret saying "Derek Roy top shelf!  where mama hides the cookies!"

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Could Dahlen actually be one of the best young players in the SHL? He's not even the best European Canuck prospect in Sweden. 

Well, I could end up being horribly off base, but I’ve always preferred Dahlen’s game to Pettersson’s. He is less slick, but more determined. Elias has the hands and the reach, but you simply cannot teach hunger. Dahlen is a goalscorer through and through; when compared to Nucks prospects, probably even moreso than the likes of Goldobin.

He has an exciting/timely element to his game that lends itself to crowd-pleasing. I don’t like to overhype our guys, but he’s one that I feel will surprise a lot of people. 

His only knock is his size. If he can remain effective against stronger, more physical competition, he has the potential to be special.

Seriously, go rewatch his highlight packages. He makes the game look so freakin’ fun, and that’s what it’s all about.

2 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

Roy was great for Buffalo for awhile.  I always remember rick jeanneret saying "Derek Roy top shelf!  where mama hides the cookies!"

Yeah but we didn't get that version.  Just like the Sammy Paulssen (sp?) - they guy we got was a shadow of his former self.  Bad pro scouting by the Gillis managment crew.  Up there with Sturm.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:49 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like he's going back to Timrå IK (Allsvenskan):

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/10/jonathan-dahlen-signs-with-timra-in-the-allsvenskan/

Deal includes an out clause for SHL or North America after January 31st, 2018.

EDIT: Dhaliwal confirms

On 10/10/2017 at 1:01 PM, mll said:

On 10/10/2017 at 2:20 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

At this point, based on the above quotes and what we have seen of Utica so far,  the decision for Dahlen to leave Utica and go back to Sweden makes a lot of sense.

1. Utica has a surplus of skill wingers and a shortage of good playmaking centers to get the puck to them.

2. Dahlen needs a lot of ice time to get his timing back -- not likely to happen in Utica.

3. Dahlen "thinks he is 100% healthy but will see in practice ...". That means he is not confident in his game yet. In all probability it will take him a while to get his conditioning and endurance and timing back, even if the virus is completely gone. It is one thing to feel perfectly healthy "in ordinary life" and another thing to maintain a high energy level in a professional hockey game. With all the uncertainties it would not make sense to risk a bad start in Utica and damage his confidence. Makes a lot of sense to go back to Timra -- an environment where he feels comfortable and where his skill level can probably carry him even if his energy level is not yet 100%.

As others (including Benning) have said, it would be great if he can join Pettersson in Vaxjo in the SHL later this season. But only when he is ready. The reality is that getting mono has set him back by maybe as much as half a season so we should not expect too much this year. The main thing is to do things right and come back strong next year -- maybe even make a run at making the Canucks out of camp in 2018.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 1