The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

3 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

I'm not condoning a total lack of defensive awareness, but what you see from him will likely always appear lacking on the defensive side. If he's forced to earn his way on the grind line, than it's probably not going to work for him here under Willie or Green. He'd do just fine on the Blackhawks.

Datsyuk was always a stick checking  freak. He was one in a million, especially for a Russian player.

No chance he would see a minute of ice under Quennville, not with his play right now.  He would in exactly the same place he is right now until he figured it out.  Every single coach in the league would be doing the same thing.

I do think he's a smart kid, he'll figure it out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We definitely need to keep Miller.  Maybe he could do Willie's job? 

I could easily see Miller as a coach, and not just as a goalie coach. He could maybe even be a GM down the road. I find his comments about the game very insightful and I appreciate the fact that he is very thoughtful and analytical.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Simply put, no matter the skill level, floaters and cherry-pickers will not play on this team.  Effort, intensity, and a high motor is the common denominator, and any who won't do it won't see the ice until they are willing.

I agree with this. An optically hard working player will get to play over a more reserved cerebral player. This is why guy's like Megna and Chaput have garnered first line minutes, albeit with little tangible results.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No chance he would see a minute of ice under Quennville, not with his play right now.  He would in exactly the same place he is right now until he figured it out.  Every single coach in the league would be doing the same thing.

I do think he's a smart kid, he'll figure it out.

I am not trying to be a jerk and this is a legitimate question. Why do you think Goldobin is a smart kid? And why do you think he will "figure it out".

This was the scouting report from the Bleacher Report on Goldobin at the beginning of this season:

Nikolay Goldobin is an enigma to many scouts. Nobody doubts his immense skill set and that he has the potential to be a very dangerous offensive player. But many scouts question whether or not the talented Russian will care enough to be successful on a nightly basis over the course of an 82-game season. Goldobin already spent the last two years in North America, playing for the Sarnia Sting of the OHL.

Willie's concern is not new. Goldobin is highly skilled, but he lacks consistent intensity and is not what you would call defensively responsible. That is a longstanding problem with him. There is a reason San Jose was willing to trade him for a rental. He is a project. The Canucks hope he will go through the same transition as Baertschi, but I think Baertschi has always had more intensity. He was unhappy in the Calgary system and got discouraged, but that is different.

I think being able to play a consistent high-intensity game is largely an inborn characteristic that is hard to develop if you don't have it naturally. Horvat has it. Hansen has it. Burrows has it. Biega has it. Stecher has it. I think Boeser has it as well, although it is less obvious in this case. That allows those guys to get the maximum out of their ability. Guys who have a significant lack in that area always seem to "underpeform", although sometimes they can improve or least find the right niche. It is an issue for Virtanen and Goldobin and I am worried that it is an issue for Juolevi.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

Datsyuk was always a stick checking  freak. He was one in a million, especially for a Russian player.

Not true actually. He struggled early on and was considering bolting back to Russia.

Scotty Bowman taught him to be a complete player though.

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not true actually. He struggled early on and was considering bolting back to Russia.

i find the tension between coach and player very interesting. 

willing to bet that most great players aren't great players had it not been for their coach who forced them to become the complete players they are. 

players generally don't want these changes; but the coaches, the good ones, nay, the great ones, make the players that resist change, to embrace and see the changes that are hard to make, so that they become the best players they can be. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

willing to bet that most great players aren't great players had it not been for their coach who forced them to become the complete players they are. 

players generally don't want these changes; but the coaches, the good ones, nay, the great ones, make the players that resist change, to embrace and see the changes that are hard to make, so that they become the best players they can be. 

Depends on the player, some players may be gifted offensively and not very good otherwise. Look at Subban in his younger days. A lot of times it just takes time for a player to become complete. This team needs offence and Goldy can bring that so he needs to be played in a way in which he'll succeed. He'll grow as a more complete player with more experience.

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Depends on the player, some players may be gifted offensively and not very good otherwise. Look at Subban in his younger days. A lot of times it just takes time for a player to become complete. This team needs offence and Goldy can bring that so he needs to be played in a way in which he'll succeed. He'll grow as a more complete player with more experience.

that's a fair comment. some players do take time to become complete players. 

i think it's probably because in junior they're so dominant that they can cheat, and when they transition to the pro ranks, it's a different game that they have to adjust to, and learn. some of the players that don't need as much "developmental time" ala Stamkos, or Crosby, Ovie, etc., all jump straight into the lion's den, also known as the NHL. 

but more times than not, we got players who need to be seasoned before they can become more complete players. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

How long was that struggle? 15 games? And then helped his team win a cup in his first year.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Pure class, love the leadership coming from Miller. Give Miller another year or two. 

For sure. That conversation has to be worth at least 2 years and $16 million. Miller should call Lu and gets some tips on the "C". :) 

12 hours ago, JamesB said:

I am not trying to be a jerk and this is a legitimate question. Why do you think Goldobin is a smart kid? And why do you think he will "figure it out".

This was the scouting report from the Bleacher Report on Goldobin at the beginning of this season:

Nikolay Goldobin is an enigma to many scouts. Nobody doubts his immense skill set and that he has the potential to be a very dangerous offensive player. But many scouts question whether or not the talented Russian will care enough to be successful on a nightly basis over the course of an 82-game season. Goldobin already spent the last two years in North America, playing for the Sarnia Sting of the OHL.

Willie's concern is not new. Goldobin is highly skilled, but he lacks consistent intensity and is not what you would call defensively responsible. That is a longstanding problem with him. There is a reason San Jose was willing to trade him for a rental. He is a project. The Canucks hope he will go through the same transition as Baertschi, but I think Baertschi has always had more intensity. He was unhappy in the Calgary system and got discouraged, but that is different.

I think being able to play a consistent high-intensity game is largely an inborn characteristic that is hard to develop if you don't have it naturally. Horvat has it. Hansen has it. Burrows has it. Biega has it. Stecher has it. I think Boeser has it as well, although it is less obvious in this case. That allows those guys to get the maximum out of their ability. Guys who have a significant lack in that area always seem to "underpeform", although sometimes they can improve or least find the right niche. It is an issue for Virtanen and Goldobin and I am worried that it is an issue for Juolevi.

You are outlining the mental approach to the game that does not get enough consideration by many fans. How many players have you seen over the years that had all the skill in the world but could not conquer the mental drive to achieve success. Two recent Canuck example IMO were CoHo and Wellwood. Wellwood had exceptional skills but said only recently that he had lost his love of the game before he was forced out of the NHL.

Fans who want him into games because he 'might' score are losing the whole point of what it takes to build a team. The first priority of a player is to prove to his coach and more importantly to his team mates that he belongs. Goldobin has accomplished neither to date. His emotional commitment to the game has to be demonstrated. He should be in Utica right now not in Vancouver. Someone the other day suggested he needed some 'Greening' and I totally agree with that.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, suitup said:

Kind of a jerk move to do that on public radio. Then to say that he's got no grit or balls? Kind of unnecessary from a vet to a 21 year old. 

Yeah. Not sure why Sutter would use language like that for Goldobin. 

Maybe he sees something that everyone else doesn't seem to see (outside the lockerroom). I dunno...

Sounds like a poor choice of words. This season can't end soon enough...

Give me the draft order please....

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

hahaha I called it, he is playing on the 3rd with Sutter and Boucher.  If Boucher takes alot of shots, Goldy should go to the net for some garbage goals, or vice versa, let Sutter be the defensive anchor for that line.

Those two should be playing with Shore IMO. Sheltered, ozone starts, low QOC.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

True. I remember an interview with Brett Hull years ago. He said he had become a 40 goal scorer in the NHL and was happy with his play, as would many 40 goal scorers. A coach told him that he had the potential to be much better than that and lit a fire under his butt. Without that coach, there's a good chance that we would never have seen the 80 goal supersniper he became.