The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

This kids skill is off the charts, he brings meaning to the term "puck on a string" but he just doesn't seem to have that fire in his belly that you have to have if you are gonna play in this league.  Way to lackadaisical, even when he's sitting on the bench chewing on his mouthguard, it looks like he's dreaming of nice cars and girls back in California. 

he would be great if he was hungry.  maybe with more nhl time he will feel more comfortable.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:01 AM, aGENT said:

As I've said before.

One of our most outright skilled prospects. But he also floats, lacks puck pursuit/battle, doesn't go to dirty areas, needs to get stronger etc, etc.

If he can round out those parts of his game, he'll be a good NHL'er, maybe even great.

If he can't, he's a lotto ticket that didn't turn out.

Sounded like he was working at those parts of his game at the AHL level but it hasn't seemed to transfer up on this recall. Maybe it's time to send him back down despite the injury woes.

He doesn't seem capable of changing the type of game he is used to.   He wants people to put the puck on his stick and only seems to do something with it if there is some space.  In other words he is not very good at making opportunities for him or his line mates when things get tight.     

I am quite skeptical that he will be a Canuck for long or be in the NHL for that matter.   He was the guy I most wanted to watch this year.  Jose when they traded him didn't seem to think they were giving much of an asset a way.  He is another Etem.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, samurai said:

He doesn't seem capable of changing the type of game he is used to.   He wants people to put the puck on his stick and only seems to do something with it if there is some space.  In other words he is not very good at making opportunities for him or his line mates when things get tight.     

I am quite skeptical that he will be a Canuck for long or be in the NHL for that matter.   He was the guy I most wanted to watch this year.  Jose when they traded him didn't seem to think they were giving much of an asset a way.  He is another Etem.  

I disagree. He isn’t going to be anything amazing like Boeser, BUT he has a scores touch he will have a chance to become a prominent top 6 winger. I think he drew into the lineup and a unfortunate time Horvat and many other have gone down and he was brought in and expected to score right away with not the greatest consistency of linemates and getting to play game.

In Short he’s young best we can hope for is he plays hard learns how to create more space for himself and improves his game because he defenitly is gifted.

Edited by Dats hockey

11 hours ago, samurai said:

doesn't seHe em capable of changing the type of game he is used to.   He wants people to put the puck on his stick and only seems to do something with it if there is some space.  In other words he is not very good at making opportunities for him or his line mates when things get tight.     

He has no where near Etem's physical game. My take is that Goldobin needs TOI to adjust his game as his confidence grows. IMHO he is not playing a confident game as he tries to setup line mates rather than taking obvious shots. He has to get this TOI to prove out his game and for Benning to evaluate his potential contribution. Obviously if he cannot adjust he will be passed by other prospects who are coming.  

Perfect. Was just thinking that last night. He still needs work. I think a short stint in Utica and then back to the NHL will help. Rinse and repeat if need be. He has to crank up his intensity. Also needs to figure some way of being involved in getting the puck back when we don't have it.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:30 AM, Boudrias said:

He has no where near Etem's physical game. My take is that Goldobin needs TOI to adjust his game as his confidence grows. IMHO he is not playing a confident game as he tries to setup line mates rather than taking obvious shots. He has to get this TOI to prove out his game and for Benning to evaluate his potential contribution. Obviously if he cannot adjust he will be passed by other prospects who are coming.  

If  Etem had not developed knee trouble I think the Canucks would have tried to keep him as as a project/bottom six fill in winger.

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I usually think Craig Button is a butthead but I agree with him here

Can someone ELI 5 this for me. I'm having trouble comprehending what he's saying. Players that leave a doubt always leave a doubt but don't leave any doubt about it?  It sounds like some riddle to me.

Did Goldobin say anything publicly about not getting enough of an opportunity?

All I’ve seen from him is Larionov’s interview about Goldy being disappointed, which he should be. But that he’s going to go down to Utica, play a bunch of games, and work hard to “get better in a hurry.”

Doesn’t sound like he’s complaining. Sounds like he’s being a professional, keeping his mouth shut, and just doing what’s asked of him.

It’s just that Button’s quote makes it sound like Goldy was complaining about not getting opportunities. And maybe he has complained, but I haven’t seen the quote yet. Opportunities seem like something I only hear fans complaining about (at least publicly).

Maybe I missed something?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

What I saw from Goldobin is improvement. He showed flashes of brilliance in a tire fire Canucks lineup. All we can ask from our prospects is to improve, they are after all students of the game. What Goldobin needs to work on is consistency and obviously he needs to learn that there's more to the game then playing with the puck. Once he understands he can have an affect on the game without touching the puck then we'll start to see him turn the next page. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Can someone ELI 5 this for me. I'm having trouble comprehending what he's saying. Players that leave a doubt always leave a doubt but don't leave any doubt about it?  It sounds like some riddle to me.

Yeah that quotes a mess.  I think he just means work harder? 

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did Goldobin say anything publicly about not getting enough of an opportunity?

All I’ve seen from him is Larionov’s interview about Goldy being disappointed, which he should be. But that he’s going to go down to Utica, play a bunch of games, and work hard to “get better in a hurry.”

Doesn’t sound like he’s complaining. Sounds like he’s being a professional, keeping his mouth shut, and just doing what’s asked of him.

It’s just that Button’s quote makes it sound like Goldy was complaining about not getting opportunities. And maybe he has complained, but I haven’t seen the quote yet. Opportunities seem like something I only hear fans complaining about (at least publicly).

Maybe I missed something?

I think that's why I don't understand this quote. Goldobin has never complained about opportunity so I didn't get it.  Button must be confusing fan reaction with Goldobin himself who like you said has been nothing but a pro about getting his ice time and having to earn it.  

Not sure I ever really see Goldy getting it though to be honest. He's waiver material next year and has barely shown any signs he's improved his play without the puck. Kids just gotta learn to hustle.

14 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

he's telling Goldy to leave it all on the ice, don't leave any doubts about whether or not you made your best effort every shift. 

Button is correct. If you look at a lot of the game time comments on Goldy a lot of CDC is saying the same thing, looked great on one shift, but for some reason on other shifts looks lazy. Button is telling him to give it everything on every shift. If Goldy did that he'd still be up here. His agent is giving him similar advice. 

A veteran example is Vanek. Before he arrived here the knock on him was similar. Kelly Hrudey was even turned around on Vanek this year because he see's more effort from him. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I interpreted it as "don't leave any doubt about your ability to play at this level". And maybe Button is implying that Goldy feels he isn't getting a fair opportunity. Which might be the case, but as it stands some shifts he looks like he could be great. Other shifts he looks disinterested or non-existent. Gotta battle from the minute the puck drops to the minute the final horn blows. Or at least don't look like you are not completely invested. Having a bad game is one thing, but not battling is another. You can control one of those more than the other.