The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

5 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

One only needed to watch the Big Bad Bruin's manhandle the Maple Leafs last night. 

The game has changed... a bit.... but you still have to have some big bad and nasty players to go along with the smaller but highly skilled players in order to go very far in the playoffs IMO.

Zack McEwen may be one of those players for the Canucks down the road in a year or so if not sooner.

This is also why I like Biega o the 4th line. He can match hit for hit with anyone, hits that get noticed.Plus having extra skill guys is nice but not if you try and hide them on the 4th line. Soft guys with no motor get invisible in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It is almost laughable listening to media and fans talk about how the 'game has changed'. It is all about speed and skill, not physicality. Well it has not changed. CUP play tightens up the game and the talent often gets shut down. The 3rd & 4th lines often shine as a result. Canucks have to get bigger and meaner!

Agree, Motte is a feisty guy and I think one of the top hitters on the Canucks.  Is he they guy that McEwen has to out compete.  I tend to think that Big Mac has more offensive upside

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Agree, Motte is a feisty guy and I think one of the top hitters on the Canucks.  Is he they guy that McEwen has to out compete.  I tend to think that Big Mac has more offensive upside

If we can trade Eriksson there should be a spot open in the bottom 6.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

MacEwen and Tryamkin are exactly what we need in the playoffs.  The playoff haven't changed at all.  We had a fight just tonight alone along with a head shot in the San Jose/Vegas game.  Probably will be a couple scraps tomorrow in Toronto.  The playoffs are all about intimidation and physicality.  Our current team would get murdered in the playoffs.  A Ferland type in the top 6 would also help.

Sure you need speed and skill but the refs are putting their whistles away as usual when it really counts.  Guys like Nylander are useless in the playoffs.  I'd rather have a Mark Stone or Anders Lee or even a Ferland or Reaves.  Evander Kane is also built for the playoffs.  More truculence is needed for next year.  Tanev, Pouliot, Granlund, Goldobin, Sutter, Baertschi, Spooner.  These guys are a waste of a roster spot.  They will get eaten alive when the real fun begins.  We have our core group of young all stars now, we just need to surround them with some beef and sandpaper.

This exactly.  We need Tryamkin back and MacEwen on our fourth line.  Bottom six consisting of the following works for me:  

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

MacEwen Beagle Motte

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This exactly.  We need Tryamkin back and MacEwen on our fourth line.  Bottom six consisting of the following works for me:  

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

MacEwen Beagle Motte

I would love to see this Bottom-6 next season. I wasn't a fan of Motte, I saw Leipsic ahead of him. But Motte outplayed Leipsic and Schaller all season long. BigZ has a great season @Utica and I guess he could make the next step upcoming season :emot-parrot:

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

MacEwen and Tryamkin are exactly what we need in the playoffs.  The playoff haven't changed at all.  We had a fight just tonight alone along with a head shot in the San Jose/Vegas game.  Probably will be a couple scraps tomorrow in Toronto.  The playoffs are all about intimidation and physicality.  Our current team would get murdered in the playoffs.  A Ferland type in the top 6 would also help.

Sure you need speed and skill but the refs are putting their whistles away as usual when it really counts.  Guys like Nylander are useless in the playoffs.  I'd rather have a Mark Stone or Anders Lee or even a Ferland or Reaves.  Evander Kane is also built for the playoffs.  More truculence is needed for next year.  Tanev, Pouliot, Granlund, Goldobin, Sutter, Baertschi, Spooner.  These guys are a waste of a roster spot.  They will get eaten alive when the real fun begins.  We have our core group of young all stars now, we just need to surround them with some beef and sandpaper.

You said it better then I. Yes, the Canucks can use smaller, faster players. My concern is the mix and to a degree the famous 'truculance' level. Really impressed with the CBJ & NYI. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This kid has silky mitts.  Very much as that ability to overpower you physically, but has the skill to dangle through you too.  Tantalizing skill set he has, and he played in every situation for the Comets.  Played on the PK, net front presence on the PP, and constantly played wing but taking key faceoffs on his strong side.

He is ready to see NHL duty full time, but he needs a good training camp to earn himself a spot to showcase this.

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen to start next season, but could easily see him move up the lineup possibly bump Virtanen out of a regular top 9 spot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This kid has silky mitts.  Very much as that ability to overpower you physically, but has the skill to dangle through you too.  Tantalizing skill set he has, and he played in every situation for the Comets.  Played on the PK, net front presence on the PP, and constantly played wing but taking key faceoffs on his strong side.

He is ready to see NHL duty full time, but he needs a good training camp to earn himself a spot to showcase this.

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen to start next season, but could easily see him move up the lineup possibly bump Virtanen out of a regular top 9 spot. 

Big Mac will be on our fourth line out of camp.  He will take over for Baer or Goldy.  Jake is going to light it up big time playing left wing with Petey and Bess.  

Better have plenty of cans of beer on hand.  The Jake train will score 30 next season. :towel:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Big Mac will be on our fourth line out of camp.  He will take over for Baer or Goldy.  Jake is going to light it up big time playing left wing with Petey and Bess.  

Better have plenty of cans of beer on hand.  The Jake train will score 30 next season. :towel:

MacEwen might make the team, but he won't be taking over for Baer or Goldy. Neither players play 4th line roles. He'd more likely be taking Granlund or Motte's spot or something to that effect.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

MacEwen might make the team, but he won't be taking over for Baer or Goldy. Neither players play 4th line roles. He'd more likely be taking Granlund or Motte's spot or something to that effect.

If Big Mac moves up in our lineup I see Baer or Goldy being put in the press box.  Although I do believe Baer could play in bottom six. 

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Big Mac moves up in our lineup I see Baer or Goldy being put in the press box.  Although I do believe Baer could play in bottom six. 

The only way I see Baer in the press box is if he's injured. He's shown that he can consistently perform at a 2nd line level and I can't see him being sat over a bottom six winger who stil has yet to prove himself in MacEwen. Different roles, so I don't see one as a replacement for the other.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The only way I see Baer in the press box is if he's injured. He's shown that he can consistently perform at a 2nd line level and I can't see him being sat over a bottom six winger who stil has yet to prove himself in MacEwen. Different roles, so I don't see one as a replacement for the other.

For sure Mac is not replacing Baer. Despite all the posters who want to get rid of Baer, he is really our only top 6 LW. Well, except maybe Pearson. Who is bigger and stronger than Baer, but he doesn't look quite as skilled and seems to be more of a middle 6 LW. Mac really looks more like a bottom 6 forward, although if he blossomed offensively that would be wonderful.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Upvote 1

On 5/3/2019 at 2:57 PM, Alflives said:

You are assuming that both are still in Van. I would trade Baer for the same reason as Tanev, their long term health and potential value now versus later. I suspect Goldy gets another crack this fall but the leash will be short. Person and Leivo can move up and down the line ups but Goldy has to be a top 6 player or he has to go. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Vanuckles said:

If Big Mac works on his skating this off-season, he could fit in well in our bottom 6. Especially if we can get rid of Eriksson somehow after July 1st - which don't kid yourself, it would be quite the feat on its own.

Big Mac, unlike Gaunce (who is a far more talented player) knows his way to an NHL career is by playing a hard game.  He's figured that out, and is making a place for himself in the league.  If not with the Canucks, then another team will pick him up.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big Mac, unlike Gaunce (who is a far more talented player) knows his way to an NHL career is by playing a hard game.  He's figured that out, and is making a place for himself in the league.  If not with the Canucks, then another team will pick him up.  

Hopefully not, but I agree that he understands what he needs to do to be a player in the bigs.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The thing is, Gaunce never played the physical game; even in Jrs, so it's hard to develop in later on.  Whereas Mac has always played that kind of game throughout his entire hockey career.  Huge pims in Jrs and continuing into Utica.  He's also at a much better age for developing into a NHL player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1