The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You, Thank You, Merci, Vancouver (Alex Burrows, The Players Tribune)

Bigturk8

17360902_390231888017888_1256149974_n.jp

My son sent me this this morning...read it at work and had to choke back the tears.  Tried to anyways.  Good thing I'm the first one here and had time to compose myself afterward.   (Yeah, sure...good try Deb)

This is Burr, in a nutshell.  Such a sincere, dedicated, loyal PERSON, let alone player.  He is just a winner and any team should be proud to have him as a member.  The fact that he took so much pride in being here came shining through and that's a huge recipe for success...the desire and wanting to prove oneself.   He had a mindset and wanted it so badly.   That brings it to another level.

Reading the stuff about the bond with his teammates.  The drive with Kes to the rink that day.  I had the great fortune to have lived and breathed this stuff from ice level as it played out...attended many games on the glass and felt that energy.  That bond and brotherhood..it was apparent.  That this team was something special.  They had fun, but would live and die for one another and it was a family, not just a team.  Great memories for sure...for the city that got to experience it, it was invigorating that season. 

He will never be forgotten...we're just waiting for him to come back one day in some capacity, that's all.  Absolutely loved the insight he's shared here.  Just reinforces it all.

Keep slaying, Burr.  We'll always be behind you and you are the epitome of Forever A Canuck.

With love and admiration,

Vancouver.

Pin this thread please. Let everyone see this. 

Absolutely miss Burrows. Hope nothing but the best for him and his family. Ottawa's got a special kind of player on their team.

58 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Oh man, if I didn't have to leave for work in 15 minutes, I'd definitely read this. I've never been so hyped to read an article. Looking forward to this after work.

I suggest reading after work.  If you want to be productive and not turn to mush, as I have.

• -DLC- pinned this topic
  • -SN- featured this topic

Thanks for the memories, Burr! Very well written and it offers us fans closure as part of an era in Canucks history comes to an end :sadno:

A couple good quotes from Dragon Slayer himself - merci beaucoup

And though it’s bittersweet, for sure — I’m leaving with the sincere hope that this trade will be able to help the Canucks build their future.

You sure did Burr, you netted us another piece moving forward and we are grateful for that - perhaps you can reap the benefits in the near future? I hear they still have your locker stall nameplate ;)

As someone who came from nothing and then played 12 years for this franchise, I still kind of can’t believe it happened. But I’m so glad it did. Please don’t forget about me — and please, if you get a chance, make sure to pass along some words of mine to next year’s rookies. Just give them the following message: Wear that sweater with pride. And don’t let anybody take it away from you.

Rest assured, your jersey and #14 will continue to fill the stands and concourse at Rogers Arena - I know I will continue to wear mine

Dont have the words to describe the impact of Burrows on the team, city and our memories.  I believe he took the Sedins to the next level and he influenced Bo to take the next step. He loved our team and our city. I hope they can bring him back into the organization in some kind of off ice role in the future. 

I would love for Burr to return to Vancouver in some capacity once his playing days are done.  It would be nice to see him signed for the purposes of retiring a Canuck as well and I sure wouldn't have a problem with his sweater in the Ring of Honour.  Heart of a Canuck until the end.

Here's hoping he gets to lift that cup!!

This is such a well written and heartfelt story, and I couldn't help but cry at the end. How could we possibly forget you?... Your story is an inspiration to us all. On Faith. Determination. Leadership. What it means to have the true heart of a Canuck. You will forever be in our hearts Alex. You will never be forgotten. 

94f56b5bdff82f477c1aa2009eabc1695105575b.jpg.324093a4e5d4de7e86a3b94cf30167cc.jpg

Looking back, that team Burr joined as a rookie was stacked with some real good players: Linden, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Morrison, Daniel, Henrik, Kesler (soon to be big name), and then Burrows... Too bad not all of them were at their peak at the same time.

If the Sedins reached their level achieved in 05-6 season, just few years ahead, say in 02-03 season or even 03-04, then we would have beaten Minnesota and Calgary. Or if WCE maintained their level of play a big longer till say 2006 or 2007, then who knows what would have happened? 

I remember the morning after beating Chicago too -- it was surely a great feeling.

Thanks Burr. 

Archived