The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Okposo hospitalized and in intensive care unit

The one positive is that professional sportsmen and women are generally in the best possible physical condition, so whatever the problem is he has the best possible chance of coming through it.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Jesus, what the hell. Hockey be damned, here's hoping he's able to get through this and just live a healthy life.

My dad had viral meningitis   / encephalitis  4 yrs ago.

My dad was 81 yrs of age.

I think it was  3-4 months  in hospital with 2 months coma  in the ICU on a ventilator and tube feed.

He actually survived it......    Meningitis is brutal........... 

Hoping as younger man  he can just get through it and get back to complete health. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Isn't it true these super fit guys are actually more likely to get ill, than people who are more average?  I know that makes little sense, but I thought I read this in another thread a few months ago.

Survival of the most average. 

On a serious note I wish Okposo a full and speedy recovery I have always been a fan of his. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Isn't it true these super fit guys are actually more likely to get ill, than people who are more average?  I know that makes little sense, but I thought I read this in another thread a few months ago.

Hey Alf, that's actually a really good question. Unfortunately the answer isn't that clear, it's more of a "not, but maybe" situation that depends a lot on circumstance.

Regular activity and high levels of fitness tend to lead to a very healthy immune system. In basically all clinical studies, those who workout frequently 5-6 days a week experience a much lower rate of illness than your "average" person living a sedentary lifestyle. For the most part, this applies to athletes too. Their bodies are fine-tuned machines, and in most professional sports there are very low rates of illness.

But it comes down a lot to the individual. If you end up putting your body into over-training it can mess with your white blood cell count and hurt your immune system until you're recovered. Over-training is really hard to hit for most people, but everyone is different (and underlying conditions can make it easier). I put myself into over-training while power lifting once, and it basically felt like I had a flu for a few weeks until I recovered. I also got quite ill in that time due to my immune system being shot (anecdotal evidence, but just for discussions sake). Stress factors like your body healing minor injuries from being hit often, poor sleep, performance stress, and other such things that come with being a professional athlete can also have a pretty serious impact on an individuals health.

It's hard to give a straight answer. It also depends entirely on the type of illness. Some things, like bacterial infections, are going to be hard to avoid regardless of the kind of shape you're in. These types of issues can effect anyone. Hopefully Kyle Okposo makes a full recovery from whatever illness he has, this is really saddening to learn.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

My dad had viral meningitis   / encephalitis  4 yrs ago.

My dad was 81 yrs of age.

I think it was  3-4 months  in hospital with 2 months coma  in the ICU on a ventilator and tube feed.

He actually survived it......    Meningitis is brutal........... 

Hoping as younger man  he can just get through it and get back to complete health. 

Sorry to here that, that is a long time on a vent at that age, he's lucky to have come out of that. Had a similar experience with my dad with a surgery of his that had major complications. He was in ICU for nearly 6 months.  That ICU time is pretty brutal as a family member and I can't imagine being that person going through it. 

44 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Hey Alf, that's actually a really good question. Unfortunately the answer isn't that clear, it's more of a "not, but maybe" situation that depends a lot on circumstance.

Regular activity and high levels of fitness tend to lead to a very healthy immune system. In basically all clinical studies, those who workout frequently 5-6 days a week experience a much lower rate of illness than your "average" person living a sedentary lifestyle. For the most part, this applies to athletes too. Their bodies are fine-tuned machines, and in most professional sports there are very low rates of illness.

But it comes down a lot to the individual. If you end up putting your body into over-training it can mess with your white blood cell count and hurt your immune system until you're recovered. Over-training is really hard to hit for most people, but everyone is different (and underlying conditions can make it easier). I put myself into over-training while power lifting once, and it basically felt like I had a flu for a few weeks until I recovered. I also got quite ill in that time due to my immune system being shot (anecdotal evidence, but just for discussions sake). Stress factors like your body healing minor injuries from being hit often, poor sleep, performance stress, and other such things that come with being a professional athlete can also have a pretty serious impact on an individuals health.

It's hard to give a straight answer. It also depends entirely on the type of illness. Some things, like bacterial infections, are going to be hard to avoid regardless of the kind of shape you're in. These types of issues can effect anyone. Hopefully Kyle Okposo makes a full recovery from whatever illness he has, this is really saddening to learn.

I would also think that illness may have a more profound effect on an athlete than a regular person. Think of how hard and consistent one must work to achieve that level of physical prowess. Any interruptions to that routine are felt far more than usual. 

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Stop it!!! Seriously wtf is going with these young athletes who are supposed to be at the peak of their health in their twenties.

Great exercise, good food provided. Best doctors...

Are they taking PEDs or taking some pain medication that is messing them up?

What is going on is remarkable..

Just proves every human is different and things can happen that make no sense.  

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Stop it!!! Seriously wtf is going with these young athletes who are supposed to be at the peak of their health in their twenties.

Great exercise, good food provided. Best doctors...

Are they taking PEDs or taking some pain medication that is messing them up?

What is going on is remarkable..

Bacterial infections don't care who you are or what kind of resources you have at your disposal. Incredible how so many people fail to understand this.

3 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Great answer, thanks Banana.

Just looked up most common patients in neurologic icu. The most common seems to be different conditions where hemorrhage (bleeding) and hematoma (abnormal amounts of blood outside blood vessels) has occurred inside a persons skull. Hope Okposo gets better.

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

I would also think that illness may have a more profound effect on an athlete than a regular person. Think of how hard and consistent one must work to achieve that level of physical prowess. Any interruptions to that routine are felt far more than usual. 

This is true, but most actual fitness loss doesn't start occurring until about 10 days (give or take) after stopping regular training. At that point though, you definitely start to feel it more than you would normally.

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Jesus, what the hell. Hockey be damned, here's hoping he's able to get through this and just live a healthy life.

10 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

this is so classy ..   speculation is not ..  good on you  

10 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's a hockey message board that only has a several hundred active posters.  Speculation from nobodies like us hurts nothing.

10 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

you done have to hurt someone to be tactless ..   and nobody is a nobody 

way to stay classy sabre fan 

10 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Way to over-react and be sanctimonious at the same time Lulover.

LOL? This entire exchange is bizarre.

@Lulover88 I kinda have to agree with @SabreFan1, there's nothing tactless about what @Coconuts said; if anything it's right on point.

Okposo is dealing with a very serious yet unknown (to the public) affliction, which has him in of all places, the Neuro Surgical ICU. Not sure you fully understand the implications of such a specialized medical division. Just in case you didn't realize ICU = Intensive Care Unit, in other words for people who are critically ill and face potential loss of life, or if they survive whatever affliction they have, a severely impacted existence moving forward.

At this point in time, his career is a secondary concern to first fighting whatever it is he has and coming through it just to survive. After that whatever his prognosis is for returning to the game will hinge entirely on how playing hockey and everything involved with that at the NHL level would impact his ability to remain healthy for the rest of his life.

A case in point example of not too long ago was Rich Peverley. At 31 he was forced to retire due to if my memory serves correctly, ventricular fibrillation caused by an irregular heartbeat / cardiac arrhythmia. Basically he died on the bench and was resuscitated through the use of a defibrillator. That's some scary ass $&!#. What Okposo is facing is 10x scarier because it's not a relatively simple mechanical issue with his body that can be managed.

Regardless of our health, habits and physical activity levels, certain things can affect the healthiest of individuals no matter their circumstance, net worth or station in life. Just goes to show that life can be a fickle thing, and we all need to pay attention to and hold in the highest regard the things closest to us which in everyones case should be family. All else is secondary.

Here's to Okposo pulling through and returning to health, regardless of his ability to return to hockey.

19 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

LOL? This entire exchange is bizarre.

@Lulover88 I kinda have to agree with @SabreFan1, there's nothing tactless about what @Coconuts said; if anything it's right on point.

We all agree with @Coconuts@Lulover88is giving people cr*p about speculating on what Okposo is ill with.  I'm pointing out that this is a message board with a few hundred active people out of a hockey fanbase of many millions of people so it doesn't matter.  We all could speculate that Okposo has a horn growing out of his forehead and absolutely nothing will change in anybody's lives who reads it.

Wishing for a quick and complete recovery for KO.

I am always a little gross out being a germaphobe and watching hockey players removing their mouth guards with their germ riddled gloves, usually after facewashing another player.  It's no wonder how illnesses spread in the dressing room.  I didn't mean to imply whats wrong with KO but this came to mind while the Canucks were dealing with the mumps.

Archived