The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thanks, Jonathan Toews

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/chicago-blackhawks-jonathan-toews-speaks-out-climate-change-instagram-1.4144723

"Do you believe in climate change? Whether you're super pumped that we are putting 'Americans first' or you are absolutely outraged at the idea that we are taking yet another step backwards in dealing with a major global problem, the only way to solve this argument is to try and set your own agenda aside and see how this affects everybody. The only lie we tell ourselves is that we are more special than other life forms on the planet. Well, we're not. Even if we weren't responsible for any major climate catastrophes heading our way, shouldn't we still do our part to preserve what we have left? The same way that we shouldn't wait till our bodies break down completely to start doing the right things to stay healthy, let's not wait till it's too late to do something. I am not saying I am perfectly 'green', but the first step is to keep an open mind and try to learn what you don't already know. "

"Even if we weren't responsible for any major climate catastrophes heading our way, shouldn't we still do our part to preserve what we have left?"

Loaded with presuppositions, based on fear and conjecture.  He needs to do his own research and stop listening to self-serving politicians and their puppet media.

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Even if we weren't responsible for any major climate catastrophes heading our way, shouldn't we still do our part to preserve what we have left?"

Loaded with presuppositions, based on fear and conjecture.  He needs to do his own research and stop listening to self-serving politicians and their puppet media.

Surely you jest...please...

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Never mind him, he's the type that thinks vaccines are a lie.

I won't tell you what to believe, but think about why you believe what you do.  Go research for yourself, instead of just believing what government tells you to believe and simply throwing out pejoratives and labels at things you don't even know about, as if that is a meaningful argument.  I used to mindlessly roll my eyes as well, then realized I was lying to myself, pretending I knew everything and denying what I hadn't even investigated.  But in the postmodern world, actually thinking for oneself is evidently an object of scorn.  This particular issue is most amazing, because not only were they caught lying and faking data they even admitted it... yet people still believe and apparently will, no matter what.  It's truly like a blind faith religion.  Bernays, Skinner, Goebbels, Huxley -- they all predicted it and sure enough 1984 has arrived.

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I won't tell you what to believe, but think about why you believe what you do.  Go research for yourself, instead of just believing what government tells you to believe and simply throwing out pejoratives and labels at things you don't even know about, as if that is a meaningful argument.  I used to mindlessly roll my eyes as well, then realized I was lying to myself, pretending I knew everything and denying what I hadn't even investigated.  But in the postmodern world, actually thinking for oneself is evidently an object of scorn.  This particular issue is most amazing, because not only were they caught lying and faking data they even admitted it... yet people still believe and apparently will, no matter what.  It's truly like a blind faith religion.  Bernays, Skinner, Goebbels, Huxley -- they all predicted it and sure enough 1984 has arrived.

While a bit exaggerated. I do actually agree with the central points of this post. While I believe the "Climate Change" is a thing. Because yeah, the climate is changing... What a meaningless and obvious statement by all who think that has meaning. What people cannot tell us is the extent to which we have an impact on the environment, what the NATURAL climate change without human involvement would look like, and what the effects of any green initiatives would be. How much do we have to cut back our environmental impact in order to "save the environment"? What would that do to our economies? Would these initiatives even do anything positive for the environment?

It's totally fine to think that we should look after the environment, that's a perfectly respectable opinion. Let's not lump in some of the policies governments want to enforce with things like anti-littering laws. We know what littering does to the environment, we can verify that. But if I told someone to invest millions of dollars in my plan for the environment and to take it on faith that my plan would work. You'd say that's BS and demand supporting evidence for my plan. Except when politicians do this, their rhetoric gets huge media and public support. In my experience, politicians are amongst the least informed in terms of facts on the issues they speak. Their entire job nowadays is to spew rhetoric with cherrypicked stats that support their arguments, not to actually research issues and find problems. As long as none of them actually solve problems, they have no competition. 

Yes. Alright.  Some Trump supporters perhaps?  Now there's a leader.

Toews is just sharing a comment for some to think about.  Listen if you want or shut him out, up to you.  This climate ordeal is a tad crazy.  Ultimately it comes down to money and power.  I'd be thrilled if I were an American and my guy just saved our country TRILLIONS of dollars.  Kerry, Obama and many other politicians should never be deal makers.  I like Trump.  I like Toews.  I like Alpha males not afraid of taking a hit to make the play.  Here, my opinion Trump is right.  Only Fox News gives you both sides of an argument (see recent Harvard study on media fairness toward Trump). Anyway,  Is Toews an awesome leader on the ice?  Yes.  No argument here.

Go Canucks.  Love June draft talk.  Love Trader Jim.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

:wacko::unsure:

49 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Except it's not just the government saying it, it's literally the vast majority of climatologists. Thinking for one's self is all well and good, but you don't need to look very far to find evidence of climate change.

6 hours ago, Qwags said:

Except it's not just the government saying it, it's literally the vast majority of climatologists. Thinking for one's self is all well and good, but you don't need to look very far to find evidence of climate change.

I don't think @Hutton Wink was referring to just one specific topic.

i mean really.  Why would you take what Trudeau or his predecessors says(said) at face value?!?......

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I can't stand this type of pseudo-intellectual, "I've watched Youtube videos!" BS.

Just reading your post is like listening to a smarmy first year university student who thinks that if he uses colorful language, it will prove he is smart.

#1 - There is not a single presupposition in that sentence that you could find fault with. In fact, the sentence in question purposefully avoids making an assumption about whether climate change is man-made.

#2 - There was no conjecture in that statement. Conjecture involves making an assertion based on incomplete data. You have no evidence that Toews is missing an important piece of data. He is simply calling for conservation, he is not actually saying much at all.

#3 - You're the only one assuming that he did not do his own research. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Neither you nor I know, but you're the only one pretending that you do.

#4 - You're the one assuming that he was listening to politicians and the media. See comment above.

#5 - In your next post you talk about how all people do is throw out pejoratives... you haven't made a single actual argument other than just saying that other people are wrong. Just because you said someone was wrong in a 'fancy' way, doesn't mean that you've done anything more meaningful.

#6 - postmodernism is dead. It died a long time ago. You've just watched some youtube videos of Jordan Pederson or someone like that. Climate scientists are actual scientists. The ones that gather data. That is the opposite definition of postmodernism.

#7 - Jesus christ.

Archived