The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

In my opinion if we do get the #3 OA we need to get:

1 of Vilardi or Glass

&

1 of Makar or Heiskanen

maybe Benning likes one of those D a lot more than the other if that's the case I'm ok with a d at 3 and one of Vilardi or Glass at 5.  Benning could have Glass over Vilardi.  

1 of those centers and one of those D would go a long way in our rebuild. 

2 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I like Vilardi and Glass at 3# and 5#.  Sutter is a much better RW, and he can still take face-offs.  Liljegren is probably someone that gets picked 8-15.  I really like him, but I would rather have Vilardi and Glass.  Heiskanen is 2-3 years away with his small frame which is fine given our timeframe, but I think Jim has to think about JIm this year.  The fan base won't be happy with another top pick that doesn't play in the NHL for another 2-3 years.  Makar is a definite no go on a team that doesn't have high end offensive skill.  He will be stuck in his own zone and get hurt with his small frame.  That's a recipe for disaster. 

The fan base won't be happy with a pick that doesn't play for another 2-3 years? I would strongly disagree with that statement. In the next 1-2 years we already have a bunch of young guys that are going to be breaking into the league such a Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen, Virtanen and Joulevi. There is enough "new toys" to entertain people - especially given that we have declared ourselves to be in a rebuild mode and for another, this draft is known to be weak with very few players expected to make the jump early. 

Also, how is Makar a definite no go because the team doesn't have "high end offensive skill"? That is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because you kind of have to draft players like Makar to have offensive skill. Further, given that we are in a rebuild mode now, how is it that you have already determined what our team is going to look like in 5 years? :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

The fan base won't be happy with a pick that doesn't play for another 2-3 years? I would strongly disagree with that statement. In the next 1-2 years we already have a bunch of young guys that are going to be breaking into the league such a Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen, Virtanen and Joulevi. There is enough "new toys" to entertain people - especially given that we have declared ourselves to be in a rebuild mode and for another, this draft is known to be weak with very few players expected to make the jump early. 

Also, how is Makar a definite no go because the team doesn't have "high end offensive skill"? That is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because you kind of have to draft players like Makar to have offensive skill. Further, given that we are in a rebuild mode now, how is it that you have already determined what our team is going to look like in 5 years? :rolleyes:

You are saying all that with a lot of misplaced confidence.  McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher all got dumped right in.  Our teams biggest need is an offensive defenseman.  If Makar were drafted and performed well in camp then I would bet based off our recent history that he would make the team.  No one is talking about parking the picks in the minors for 2-3 years.  I have no complaint with that.  But the 5th overall and the 3rd overall are going to get games with the Canucks this year.  No way they send them back down to Junior if they have a half way decent camp.  Don't say Joulevi as we had Edler-Hutton-Sbisa-Tryamkin.  If any position on the team had some NHL depth it was LHD.

Glass and Vilardi are the most ready to go, so I would rather pick them as they are least likely to be negatively impacted by our developmental strategy.  We will ruin Makar or Liljgren for sure.

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

You are saying all that with a lot of misplaced confidence.  McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher all got dumped right in.  Our teams biggest need is an offensive defenseman.  If Makar were drafted and performed well in camp then I would bet based off our recent history that he would make the team.  No one is talking about parking the picks in the minors for 2-3 years.  I have no complaint with that.  But the 5th overall and the 3rd overall are going to get games with the Canucks this year.  No way they send them back down to Junior if they have a half way decent camp.  Don't say Joulevi as we had Edler-Hutton-Sbisa-Tryamkin.  If any position on the team had some NHL depth it was LHD.

Glass and Vilardi are the most ready to go, so I would rather pick them as they are least likely to be negatively impacted by our developmental strategy.  We will ruin Makar or Liljgren for sure.

Makar is committed to the US college route, isn't he?

Just now, gobi said:

Yes, Makar and Mittlestadt (sp?)

I think Makar will be at least two years away, and then a year in the A.  Middlestadt worries me.  He might need all four college years to physically mature.  Then he could become a free agent.  I'd stay away from him.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Tanev's value goes up even more in those few days between the Expansion Draft and the Entry Draft?

Sure. But at the ED we lose sbisa right. So now do we still trade Tanev?

But if we trade Tanev before the ED then isnt the added bonus that we can protect sbisa???

Doesnt it make alot more sense to trade Tanev before the Ed?   

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

But if we trade Tanev before the ED then isnt the added bonus that we can protect sbisa???

I get your logic.  The Tanev return would include Sbisa.  Yes, that's smart indeed.

43 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Heh, you are not wrong in saying there are a lot of shiny new toys to be entertained with, I guess sometimes I tire of some of the more vocal people who are just voracious when it comes to shiny new toys.  I swear some won't be happy until the entire freaking roster  is stripped right down to the Horvats.  And make no mistake, they don't want it done now, they wanted it done two years ago.  To some, Goldobin, Virtanen, and Boeser are all old news and if Benning isn't turning over 2/3rds of the roster any given year it's because he's Dim Jim.

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

All the college players go free agency!!!! :frantic:

It rarely happens. It's not in their hockey career or financial best interests. And it largely only happens to late bloomers who didn't look like possibly NHL'ers until their 3rd or 4th years. I doubt Gaudette stays in college past this season.

LMAO where in any of my post did I say that all go to free agency? I said it was a possibility there Junior -_- 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Tanev's value goes up even more in those few days between the Expansion Draft and the Entry Draft?

I wouldn't think the value would change but maybe the items in the package do. 

For instance,

Pre ED trade we lose Tanev. 

Post ED we lose Tanev + Sbisa/Gaunce/Biega. (Most likely Sbisa)

So the Pre ED return could look like, Dallas 3rd OA + Lethonen + ?

Post ED could look like , Dallas 3rd OA + Niemi + Oleksiak. 

And again different pieces for other trade partners. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Keep in mind that there is a level of disguised value that trading Tanev has in terms of us keeping Sbisa rather than losing him for nothing in the expansion draft 

Its like 3rd overall + not losing sbisa

For tanev

Well, if that deal were to happen before the ED then it would be:

3rd overall + not losing sbisa + isn't there talk that they want to also move out a goalie in a deal for the 3rd OA? (This is not enough for Tanev, imo.)

For tanev + they would have to leave a guy exposed who they might otherwise have protected. (This could be a big negative disguised value for Dallas.)

I don't believe that Dallas could count on using the possible/likely retention of Sbisa as a bargaining chip. Would the Canucks actually protect Sbisa? Sure. Would the team allow Dallas to use that as a reason to lower their offer? Not a chance.

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Makar will be at least two years away, and then a year in the A.  Middlestadt worries me.  He might need all four college years to physically mature.  Then he could become a free agent.  I'd stay away from him.

Mittelstadt could flake. I think he has more potential then Glass, but the college flake out potential worries me. 

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

100%

9 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, if that deal were to happen before the ED then it would be:

3rd overall + not losing sbisa + isn't there talk that they want to also move out a goalie in a deal for the 3rd OA? (This is not enough for Tanev, imo.)

For tanev + they would have to leave a guy exposed who they might otherwise have protected. (This could be a big negative disguised value for Dallas.)

I don't believe that Dallas could count on using the possible/likely retention of Sbisa as a bargaining chip. Would the Canucks actually protect Sbisa? Sure. Would the team allow Dallas to use that as a reason to lower their offer? Not a chance.

regards,  G.

I think then canucks need to work out a deal to have sbisa not chosen in the ed to protect our depth on D enough to move tanev

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Tanev is ED eligible. So whoever trades for him before ED will have to spend a protection spot on Tanev which means exposing someone else. Hence, teams will be reluctant to trade for Tanev before ED.  Imo Tanev has more value after ED when teams has lost D depth and no longer has to worry about protecting him. 

Archived