The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

11 hours ago, BO_Scorvat said:

What about Tanev for the 8th and Evander Kane from Buffalo, then you pick Makar or Petterson with the 8th and glass or vilardi with the 5th 

A trade with BUF has to include #8th overall + Alexander Nylander. Nylander as a LW on Canucks top line would be awesome. Don't want Kane.

Just look back how much trouble he caused over the last few years off the ice. No thanks! That's not a guy the  Canucks  need  on  their roster.

11 hours ago, Screw said:

3rd pick is still an unknown as to how that player develops.  #3 is a good guess at a solid NHL player but still a guess.   I suspect a team would be quite happy if that player turned into a Tanev if a defenseman was selects at #3.  

It depends wholly on Dallas.   If they feel they can get into the playoffs and push with the team they have with the addition of Tanev they may not want to wait on how #3 develops.   Timing is everything for both the Stars and the Canucks.  I don't think it is far fetched to think that the planets could align and a trade could happen for #3.

Well said, very well said. It's all about timing. If Dallas get no offers from other teams before draft day for their #3rd overall and with offers I mean a Top-4 D-Man the Canucks would hold a very very strong position. If this scenario would  become reality  that  would be pure luck for the Canucks. Dallas  need a  shutdown D-Man like Tanev with three year more on a very favourable contract desperately. Word is that JB hasn't talked to Dallas, yet. He is pretty clever waiting for the right time. Well done JB, so far...!

19 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

A trade with BUF has to include #8th overall + Alexander Nylander. Nylander as a LW on Canucks top line would be awesome. Don't want Kane.

Just look back how much trouble he caused over the last few years off the ice. No thanks! That's not a guy the  Canucks  need  on  their roster.

a top pick in this year's draft, and a top pick from last year's draft class? There's overpayment in the eyes of Buffalo. I don't think they do that trade at all. Would be awesome for the Canucks of course. 

6 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

You are saying all that with a lot of misplaced confidence.  McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Stecher all got dumped right in.  Our teams biggest need is an offensive defenseman.  If Makar were drafted and performed well in camp then I would bet based off our recent history that he would make the team.  No one is talking about parking the picks in the minors for 2-3 years.  I have no complaint with that.  But the 5th overall and the 3rd overall are going to get games with the Canucks this year.  No way they send them back down to Junior if they have a half way decent camp.  Don't say Joulevi as we had Edler-Hutton-Sbisa-Tryamkin.  If any position on the team had some NHL depth it was LHD.

Glass and Vilardi are the most ready to go, so I would rather pick them as they are least likely to be negatively impacted by our developmental strategy.  We will ruin Makar or Liljgren for sure.

McCann and Virtanen are their own case in these regards - yes, they were dumped in, but this isn't the same team or scenario that we are dealing with as what was happening then and on top of that, I think we learned some valuable lessons in the process. Stecher was not dumped into the line up, he played himself in the lineup and even when he blew the training camp out of the water, they still sent him down to the AHL in the beginning. 

Like has already been pointed out, Makar is committed to the NCAA next year and won't even be an option to be on the team next year, so I don't know where you are coming up with that idea. Mittelstadt won't be an option. All the European prospect interviews I have seen are expecting atleast another year in Europe. "No one is talking about parking the picks in the minors for 2-3 years"? Actually, I think most people are saying that, even the NHL in general is saying about the draft this year that that will be the case with the vast majority of prospects.

The only prospect that I could see making that jumped next year is a guy like Vilardi, but (1) there is no room on the roster till the Sedins depart for another center and (2) it has already been established that he is going to play next in Windsor so he can develop his game at center. Hischer and Patrick will be forced onto their squads because of where they are likely to be picked, but nobody is expecting any other prospect in this draft to make a strong challenge, they are all thought be short-long term projects. Glass on the other hand is consensus that he will be atleast another year or two in the minors to build muscle - a similar path as Mark Scheifele.

In terms of forwards, there will be literally no room for any newbies to join the squad next year and any newly drafted prospects would have to out perform our older mature prospects like Goldobin, Dahlin and Boeser to do that. I cannot see that happening. IF it does happen, then we will all rejoice in celebration because we just landed ourselves a superstar! 

On 6/6/2017 at 9:02 AM, VegasCanuck said:

To Dallas:

Tanev

55th Overall

To Vancouver

3rd Overall

Lehtonen

Dallas 6th round (Jim loves those late round picks :) )

Dallas wins this trade short term with shoring up defense plus dumping a bad contract, allowing them to go after better free agents and make a realistic run at the cup.

Vancouver wins it long term with the 3rd overall pick.

Then:

To Philly:

3rd OA

33 OA

To Van:

2nd OA

This lands one of the two best centers in the draft and sets us up down the middle for the next 10 years.

With the 5th OA, draft best play making D available.

Thoughts?

Id do it Maybe have to add are other 2nd as well?  My gut tells me it's either Dallas or Buffalo for their 8th Kane and one of their prospects and A cash dump. maybe Bogo?

Kuzma is absolutely spot on. We don't have to trade Tanev right now, after his NTC kicks in he can't be traded to only 8 teams, which still leaves a lot of potential suitors. Either we get a deal that really and truly knocks our socks off or we keep him and watch a bidding war erupt come trade deadline next year. Top 4 D are always going to command a premium, especially one of Tanev's caliber. If it's a good or ok offer we need to wait. Given what's going to happen with expansion draft and the lack of quality and cheap D available I'd venture a guess that Tanev's value will be even more at trade deadline then it currently is. Give us an offer we can't refuse or we keep him.

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Kuzma is absolutely spot on. We don't have to trade Tanev right now, after his NTC kicks in he can't be traded to only 8 teams, which still leaves a lot of potential suitors. Either we get a deal that really and truly knocks our socks off or we keep him and watch a bidding war erupt come trade deadline next year. Top 4 D are always going to command a premium, especially one of Tanev's caliber. If it's a good or ok offer we need to wait. Given what's going to happen with expansion draft and the lack of quality and cheap D available I'd venture a guess that Tanev's value will be even more at trade deadline then it currently is. Give us an offer we can't refuse or we keep him.

You forgot the option where Tanev gets injured and is not available for the playoffs, or if he has a really bad year.  Then his stock will plummet and by the time he build his value back up again, he'll be out of his prime and turning 30.  He's already starting to be pegged as an injury-prone player, if he misses another 30 games next year, it'll pretty much be confirmed.

IMO his value is at an all-time high right now.  There is a possibility that he could slightly increase his value by the Trade Deadline, but a greater possibility also exist that his value will take a tumble.

The waiting game as never brought us a lot of success with trades.

14 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

You forgot the option where Tanev gets injured and is not available for the playoffs, or if he has a really bad year.  Then his stock will plummet and by the time he build his value back up again, he'll be out of his prime and turning 30.  He's already starting to be pegged as an injury-prone player, if he misses another 30 games next year, it'll pretty much be confirmed.

IMO his value is at an all-time high right now.  There is a possibility that he could slightly increase his value by the Trade Deadline, but a greater possibility also exist that his value will take a tumble.

The waiting game as never brought us a lot of success with trades.

I agree. The time is now. It's also important to remember that a trade now allows us to keep Sbisa instead of losing him for nothing. 

I'm even willing to slightly overpay if it means we get a deal done for 3OA or Kane and 8th. I like Tanev a lot, but the risk of injury scares me even more. 

Kane and 8 would be a huge score imo.  I know Kane has issues, but getting a 30 goal power forward AND the 8 pick, which has as much value as our 5 pick...  we could likely land Petterson there...  which would give us that skilled playmaker for the teams future.  

This deal is is an easy yes for me.  Even with an addition from vancouvers side.  If virtanen, I'd want a 3rd from buffalo.

19 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Kane and 8 would be a huge score imo.  I know Kane has issues, but getting a 30 goal power forward AND the 8 pick, which has as much value as our 5 pick...  we could likely land Petterson there...  which would give us that skilled playmaker for the teams future.  

This deal is is an easy yes for me.  Even with an addition from vancouvers side.  If virtanen, I'd want a 3rd from buffalo.

So you want to pay for a player you can pick up for nothing next year? 

Even with Tanev's limited NTC, we can still trade him next year. If there's someone you really want from the Leafs. I'm pretty sure Toronto would be on Tanev's short list. 

When you panic to make trades, usually that's when you get burned. 

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even with Tanev's limited NTC, we can still trade him next year. If there's someone you really want from the Leafs. I'm pretty sure Toronto would be on Tanev's short list. 

When you panic to make trades, usually that's when you get burned. 

Tanev is too injury prone to put off a trade if a good deal is there.  

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tanev is too injury prone to put off a trade if a good deal is there.  

Key word is if. My view is the NTC doesn't make it impossible to move him for good value later. A choice between losing Sbisa at expansion draft and holding onto Tanev to see what our defence looks like this year to help him stabilize the lineup should be a no brainer. That being said, if a team wants to overpay for Tanev, be my guest. 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

a top pick in this year's draft, and a top pick from last year's draft class? There's overpayment in the eyes of Buffalo. I don't think they do that trade at all. Would be awesome for the Canucks of course. 

It's like in business: offer and demand set the price. in this off-season the free agency market is "thin" in terms of Top-4 D-Men and BUF desperately need a Top-4 D-Man.

If BUF can't acquire a Top-4 D-Man in a Evander Kane trade Tanev would be an excellent option for BUF. As earlier mentioned JB holds all the cards in his hands in terms

of trading Tanev. He has already received two offers  and can choose the best offer. In addition Alexander Nylander is a winger and as such has less  trade  value than a

centre or RHD.  Acquiring a Top-D-Man in a trade is costly (Adam Larsson / Hall). Personally I think BUF #8 and Nylander would be a fair return for Tanev given the facts

and circumstances.

Nothing we need can come from Toronto. 17th overall? It'd be nice, but it's unlikely we'll find a real gamebreaker there. Kapanen? Oh joy, another B winger prospect, only this time we used our best trade chip on him.

Nope, we have to knock it out of the park with this one. If the right deal doesn't come along, don't pull the trigger.

Yes, Tanev could hypothetically have a poor year next season, but he has several seasons under his belt and it hasn't happened yet. No reason to think he'll suddenly have some sort of massive downswing next season. He's been the epitome of consistency throughout his entire NHL career thus far.

Injuries? Without a doubt he'll take some injuries next season, just like he does every season, but at this point it's pretty much expected. If Tanev only plays 50-60 games next season and misses the rest due to injury, that'd be pretty par for the course for him, and thus wouldn't all of the sudden lessen his value by any significant margin.

No accepting scraps this time. No taking the "best offer we can get". This isn't a situation where we're under the gun at all. We hold the cards. We're in the drivers seat for once, 

If a team really wants Tanev, they can either $&!# or get off the pot.

14 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's like in business: offer and demand set the price. in this off-season the free agency market is "thin" in terms of Top-4 D-Men and BUF desperately need a Top-4 D-Man.

If BUF can't acquire a Top-4 D-Man in a Evander Kane trade Tanev would be an excellent option for BUF. As earlier mentioned JB holds all the cards in his hands in terms

of trading Tanev. He has already received two offers  and can choose the best offer. In addition Alexander Nylander is a winger and as such has less  trade  value than a

centre or RHD.  Acquiring a Top-D-Man in a trade is costly (Adam Larsson / Hall). Personally I think BUF #8 and Nylander would be a fair return for Tanev given the facts

and circumstances.

You're overvaluing Tanev to a ridiculous degree

53 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So you want to pay for a player you can pick up for nothing next year? 

Primary target is the 8th overall.  Kane is an add on.   Not a must target or anything.  The Canucks NEED a top line LW.  Kane checks a lot of boxes of attributes the club is looking for....  speed, grit, power, goal scoring.  Theres absolutely zero guarantee he'll be available to Vancouver in a year.   He's still got a lot left in the tank imo.  Power forwards generally mature in their late 20s - early 30s.  That means 5 more years of prime hockey imo, also likely to see a maturing off the ice within those years.

i know people don't want to see a player of this age range, but again power forwards can take until this age to really be effective.  He'd be an excellent addition.   Not to mention picks 5 and 8 being added to the prospect pool. 

54 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Key word is if. My view is the NTC doesn't make it impossible to move him for good value later. A choice between losing Sbisa at expansion draft and holding onto Tanev to see what our defence looks like this year to help him stabilize the lineup should be a no brainer. That being said, if a team wants to overpay for Tanev, be my guest. 

I agree, though I don't think it needs to be a vast over payment......just the high end of market value is fine by me.  

48 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nothing we need can come from Toronto. 17th overall? It'd be nice, but it's unlikely we'll find a real gamebreaker there. Kapanen? Oh joy, another B winger prospect, only this time we used our best trade chip on him.

Nope, we have to knock it out of the park with this one. If the right deal doesn't come along, don't pull the trigger.

Yes, Tanev could hypothetically have a poor year next season, but he has several seasons under his belt and it hasn't happened yet. No reason to think he'll suddenly have some sort of massive downswing next season. He's been the epitome of consistency throughout his entire NHL career thus far.

Injuries? Without a doubt he'll take some injuries next season, just like he does every season, but at this point it's pretty much expected. If Tanev only plays 50-60 games next season and misses the rest due to injury, that'd be pretty par for the course for him, and thus wouldn't all of the sudden lessen his value by any significant margin.

No accepting scraps this time. No taking the "best offer we can get". This isn't a situation where we're under the gun at all. We hold the cards. We're in the drivers seat for once, 

If a team really wants Tanev, they can either $&!# or get off the pot.

My guess is that Tanev's decline, when it comes, is going to be rapid, based oin the sheer amount of physical abuse he takes shift after shift after shift

Archived