The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 8/9/2018 at 8:19 PM, messier's_elbow said:

This guy is the main reason I’m excited for this upcoming season. I think 2020 will definitely be more exciting, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes EP to start dominating.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:41 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. 

Edit: After a few hours to let the pick sink in, I don't hate it. I'd still rather have Vilardi or Glass but if Petterson can fill out he looks like he could be a good player. His stats in his men's league are quite good. I'll give him a chance. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

13 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He's already admitted to having been wrong about the Pettersson selection many times in this thread. Is this really necessary?

I just thought it was a funny juxtaposition from what something that was said a year ago. Good on him to admit that he was wrong. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to watch how the players of that 2017 draft continue to develop.  Petterssen wa a bit of a reach at 5 and now looks like he was picked late.  Glass looks like a Kole Lind quality prospect while Middlestat (picked later) looks like he might just be second line center in Buffalo and the favourite for rookie of the year.  Then guys like Vilardi are even farther back (11th) and he was a man among boys in Junior this past year and may even make the offense starved Kings.  Near the top Patrick was not great, Makar was iffy or awesome depending on your perspective.  It will take a couple more years for this to shake out but there are 5 or 6 star players taken spread over the top 11 or 15 picks.  Here's hoping Petterssen continues to impress and ends up in the top 2 or 3 in a redraft.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He's already admitted to having been wrong about the Pettersson selection many times in this thread. Is this really necessary?

Hmmmm........? A tad protective, yes/ no ? Makes me wonder, why ? ( actually I've looked it up. Pretty much the thoughts of the day at that time, including me. I wanted Glass ! )

Edited by SingleThorn

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

Hmmmm........? A tad protective, yes/ no ? Makes me wonder, why ? ( actually I've looked it up. Pretty much the thoughts of the day at that time, including me. I wanted Glass ! )

I think we got the best player in that whole draft!  Pettersson is looking like a steal!  We just might have our super duper center, and our super duper D man in back-to-back drafts.  It’s going to be a really awesome decade coming up (2020-2030).  I see these young super duper stars leading more than one Stanley Cup parade down Georgia.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TGT68 said:

It will be interesting to watch how the players of that 2017 draft continue to develop.  Petterssen wa a bit of a reach at 5 and now looks like he was picked late.  Glass looks like a Kole Lind quality prospect while Middlestat (picked later) looks like he might just be second line center in Buffalo and the favourite for rookie of the year.  Then guys like Vilardi are even farther back (11th) and he was a man among boys in Junior this past year and may even make the offense starved Kings.  Near the top Patrick was not great, Makar was iffy or awesome depending on your perspective.  It will take a couple more years for this to shake out but there are 5 or 6 star players taken spread over the top 11 or 15 picks.  Here's hoping Petterssen continues to impress and ends up in the top 2 or 3 in a redraft.  

Don't forget Heiskanen either. It's funny because I'm thrilled to death that we nabbed Pettersson at five, yet I'm still jealous of the Stars being able to grab Heiskanen. I'm certain that they walked away with a real game-changing dman.

29 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Don't forget Heiskanen either. It's funny because I'm thrilled to death that we nabbed Pettersson at five, yet I'm still jealous of the Stars being able to grab Heiskanen. I'm certain that they walked away with a real game-changing dman.

I think Pettersson, Hirscher, and Heiskanen might go top three (maybe not exactly in that order) in a redraft.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Hope to see you all in Penticton. Still hoping EP plays. When Edmonton brought McDavid he sat the game I was at, so this year I have the whole weekend.

I think (hope) petersson will play lots, jealous youre going i need to plan better next year haha

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

What excites me most about EP is his shot. His wrist shot velocity and accuracy is elite. He and Boeser on the PP with those wrist shots with be a pleasure. 

When players with EP's ability posses a great shot it allows them more room to dangle, If you give them more space they can rip it by the goalie and if you play them too close they can fake and leave you looking for airspace to rent.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

What excites me most about EP is his shot. His wrist shot velocity and accuracy is elite. He and Boeser on the PP with those wrist shots with be a pleasure. 

Definitely one part of his skill set that seems to fly under the radar since his vision and stick handling is also elite... really looking forward to watching him get comfortable over here this season

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

And with Hughes dishing the pucks to EP and Boeser to shoot those wristers on the PP, oh my!!

giphy.gif

I really hope Hughes works on his shot this year. That would prevent the pk from cheating and creating a wider box to cover boeser or petterson's shot. If they do cheat, the slot will be open and as long as Hughes gets around the first forward (which he is exceptional at) he'll have a clean look at the net.