The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I really hope Hughes works on his shot this year. That would prevent the pk from cheating and creating a wider box to cover boeser or petterson's shot. If they do cheat, the slot will be open and as long as Hughes gets around the first forward (which he is exceptional at) he'll have a clean look at the net. 

His shot is actually very good and he gets it through, finding open lanes, and accurately.  He just doesn't have a bomb of a clapper.  If they leave him uncovered or give him too much room, he's going to burn them.

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I really hope Hughes works on his shot this year. That would prevent the pk from cheating and creating a wider box to cover boeser or petterson's shot. If they do cheat, the slot will be open and as long as Hughes gets around the first forward (which he is exceptional at) he'll have a clean look at the net. 

That would only leave Bo open in the middle for tips or rebounds of Quinn's shot...there will be no stopping that PP...even this year's PP is going to be deadly.

• Upvote 2

I was bored last night and decided to watch all of Pettersson's points from the SHL. 

https://youtu.be/CmxZo-4af40

His wrist shot is incredible. Pin point accurate. Looks very comparable to Boesers.

For the power play, having Brock's shot on the left side and Elias on the right, reminds me an awful lot of the Tampa Bay Lightining with Stamkos and Kucherov. They finished 3rd in the league for PP% and looked unstoppable at times. I'd expect the same from us a few seasons down the road.

Edited by Pepe Silvia
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

I was bored last night and decided to watch all of Pettersson's points from the SHL. 

His wrist shot is incredible. Pin point accurate. Looks very comparable to Boesers.

For the power play, having Brock's shot on the left side and Elias on the right, reminds me an awful lot of the Tampa Bay Lightining with Stamkos and Kucherov. They finished 3rd in the league for PP% and looked unstoppable at times. I'd expect the same from us a few seasons down the road.

Honestly we have nothing that can compare with that alignment for our power play, so I think that alignment will come into play this season with some combination like Horvat, Baertchi and Edler.  

Long term Horvat, Dahlen, Hughes with BB and EP and a PP2 built around Gaudette and Lind in the shooting spots with Gadj, Palmu and Juolevi.  Or something like that depending on new assets.  

We could maybe see that PP2 or close to it in Utica this year.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

His shot is actually very good and he gets it through, finding open lanes, and accurately.  He just doesn't have a bomb of a clapper.  If they leave him uncovered or give him too much room, he's going to burn them.

Accurate, sure.  But it is a 14 year olds shot.   

He has no slapper, and the wrist shot is slower than molasses.  

If he can somehow get a real shot, watch out. 

15 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

You're wrong. This kid has an above average wrist shot and has the ability to get to the dangerous spots on the ice. So he hasn't developed his slap shot yet. Every scouting report on QH talks about him having a dangerous wrister.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Canucks who have scored 40+ goals in a season:

1978/89 - Ron Sedlbauer (40)

1982/83 - Darcy Rota (42)

1983/84 - Tony Tanti (45)

1986/87 - Tony Tanti (41)

1987/88 - Tony Tanti (40)

1992/93 - Pavel Bure (60)

1993/94 - Pavel Bure (60)

1995/96 - Alex Mogilny (55)

1997/98 - Pavel Bure (51)

2000/01 - Markus Naslund (41)

2001/02 - Markus Nasluind (40)

2002/03 - Markus Naslund (48) and Todd Bertuzzi (46)

2010/11 - Daniel Sedin (41) and Ryan Kesler (41)

There were only two seasons where 2 Canucks players scored 40+ goals each. That 2002/03 year will be tough to beat, but I believe Boeser and Pettersson could eventually do it, especially if they end up playing together. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

He had a slap shot contest with Mika Zibanejad, and it was pretty close I think he had like a 96 MPH slap shot. 

51 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

If you are talking about EP....I think you need to go watch all his highlights again...his wrist shot is not far off of BB's, it is just as accurate and within about 5 MPH of Brock's

and his slapper is 97 MPH ( best of 3 try's)...EP should have no trouble getting his slapper up to 100 MPH by mid-season at latest.

....once again...I am late to the party...he was talking about Hughes I guess...Quinn's wrister is accurate and not too shabby but he does admit to needing to work on his one-timer...

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks who have scored 40+ goals in a season:

1978/89 - Ron Sedlbauer (40)

1982/83 - Darcy Rota (42)

1983/84 - Tony Tanti (45)

1986/87 - Tony Tanti (41)

1987/88 - Tony Tanti (40)

1992/93 - Pavel Bure (60)

1993/94 - Pavel Bure (60)

1995/96 - Alex Mogilny (55)

1997/98 - Pavel Bure (51)

2000/01 - Markus Naslund (41)

2001/02 - Markus Nasluind (40)

2002/03 - Markus Naslund (48) and Todd Bertuzzi (46)

2010/11 - Daniel Sedin (41) and Ryan Kesler (41)

There were only two seasons where 2 Canucks players scored 40+ goals each. That 2002/03 year will be tough to beat, but I believe Boeser and Pettersson could eventually do it, especially if they end up playing together. 

If they play together this year...they may get it done as a rookie and sophomore...!

They will get it done within 3 years for sure.

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Honestly we have nothing that can compare with that alignment for our power play, so I think that alignment will come into play this season with some combination like Horvat, Baertchi and Edler.  

Sorry, not trying to be a dick here, I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say. Monday mornings are tough for me.

We don't have anything that can compare to Tampa's powerplay?

Edited by Pepe Silvia
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

I don't understand how Elias can shoot so hard with his frame. It's outstanding. Hard and accurate shot

1 hour ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Sorry, not trying to be a dick here, I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say. Monday mornings are tough for me.

We don't have anything that can compare to Tampa's powerplay?

RH shot triggerman on the left circle/half wall (Boeser) and LH shot triggerman, who is also a great playmaker, on the right circle/halfwall. PKs can't overload one side, with Horvat, Baer, and Edler as the other 3 members of the unit.

(how I understood it anyways)

• Upvote 1