The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, who here expected Pettersson would be this good right out of the gate? Like, really?

I expected him to be good, but I actually figured he would struggle a bit early on before eventually finding his game. Never in a million years did I think that he would not only be able to contribute in a big way from the get-go, but that he would acclimate the the smaller ice and the center position so incredibly fast. 

Really speaks to just what a phenom this kid is.

Not me that's for sure! I expected half a year of dealing with new league, bigger stronger players, small ice and a new country to live in. Glad to be surprised for a change!

14 hours ago, smokes said:

Meh Jovanovski played for the Canucks longer than Bure stayed in the league. Wasn't too bad.

at the end it was  very good trade for Vancouver, I meant "at the time".  I was a young kid, I didn't know too much about player development., I looked at Jovanovski's stats he wasn't even close to half a point per game average, dave gagner was 33?? (we were stat lookers)  So we get a young dman, who wasn't even as good as Ohlund,   I thought we were gonna get Rob Neidermayer, also sure we have a 1st round pick, it didn't look like we got too much for one of the best goal scoring player in the game (at the time).  But Jovanavski broke out into an offensive threat right away for us. 

but in the end, management knows more then we do.  But honestly "at the time" it wasn't the best trade, not to mention Dave Gagner only played 15 games or so for us.  but in the end great trade.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, who here expected Pettersson would be this good right out of the gate? Like, really?

I expected him to be good, but I actually figured he would struggle a bit early on before eventually finding his game. Never in a million years did I think that he would not only be able to contribute in a big way from the get-go, but that he would acclimate the the smaller ice and the center position so incredibly fast. 

Really speaks to just what a phenom this kid is.

Your assumption of a slow start was warranted. He has historically always had an adjustment period to new situations, whether in club or tournament play. The fact he has come onto the team and been a dominate force on the ice is amazing to me. I thought for sure he would have a slow start, he would figure out the timing, and he would then be pick it up.

The fact that this kid has adjusted to a smaller ice surface, playing against the best players in the world, at center, is unbelievable.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Uhm no. Forsberg and Petterson games are absolutely look NOTHING alike. They both have great hands, yes, but they are completely different players. Petterson is a finesse player, and Forsberg has a power game. The guy who plays almost exactly like Forsberg thats playing in the NHL right now would be Sidney Crosby. Petterson would dodge and weave through checks while Forsberg would actual welcome checks and use the physicality to his advantage

I agree. I didn't realize that before but Crosby and Forsberg share quite a bit of similarities. Forsberg put up 1.26PPG, Crosby currently at 1.29PPG. 

22 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Yes, i say best comparison for EP would be Datsyuk or Zetterberg.. But with 3 Times better shot, wish he had Z's backhand thou! 

I actually feel that Zetterberg can play a bit of power game like Forsberg. And I think Datsyuk was much more magical with stick than EP and he was just plain out quick whereas EP is more of an elusive type. EP doesn't look quick and the defenders may feel like they can lay a body on him, but then he evades them somehow and makes passes that don't seem very possible.

Among the NHL greats, the one player that I can think of whose style matches EP is Gretzky. Not saying he will be as great as the great one but the way Gretzky evades defenders, circling around them with fine stickhandling, making unexpected passes, and putting the puck into empty spaces so that he can go and retrieve it. Like that moment when EP passed to himself during one of the preseason games, that was really Gretzky like.

McDavid is more like Bure. I think if McDavid wants to focus more on goal scoring, then I think he will be able to win the Rocket Richard every year. Probably can hit 60 goals. Right now, McDavid looks like he wants to make plays than to score on his own.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Every team has misses at the draft.  I think Pettersson will prove to be BY FAR the best player in his draft.  OJ will be a solid top four guy.  Jake is a bigger version of Hansen.  

I thought you meant bigger so I changed it.

Jake has higher offensive ceiling but I think Hansen was one of the best defensive forwards in the league in his prime. I doubt Jake will ever be better than Hansen in that regards. Honey badger was his nickname for his ability to forecheck and hound the puck. I haven't seen Jake do anything close to that yet.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:59 AM, Brad Marchand said:

In certain instances, yes. When you react like the people at the end of this video that has already been posted here, you deserve to be mocked:

"We could have drafted Gabriel Vilardi, future Jonathan Toews and we draft this guy!!??!!???!"

lol this is so funny.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Hansen's problems were different. As you pointed out, he had stone hands - ie, no finish, no set-up. But he was miles ahead of Jake in terms of thinking the game and as such, was an excellent PK-er from his second season onwards. 

I am not saying i knew better back then for Hansen, i am simply saying that at the same age (22-ish), Hansen as far ahead as a player. Not only was he excellent in using his speed defensively, he was much better positionally and still, with his 'stone hands'  put up 20+ points. 

Given the gulf in their defensive capabilities, for Jake to be considered 'on pace' of Hansen's value, he'd have to get 35-40 points this year. 

I am not saying how players will turn out to be, i am simply saying how they are trending to develop, what their strengths and weaknesses are.  
Jake's strength is not his defensive play or his game awareness. His are excellent finish, excellent speed and average hands. At the same age, Hansen's strengths were excellent defensive play, excellent speed and good game awareness. 

s4gyvt.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, khay said:

"We could have drafted Gabriel Vilardi, future Jonathan Toews and we draft this guy!!??!!???!"

lol this is so funny.

Any idea if the trio at the end are still blogging ? They were all total wankers, but, the guy in the pale blue t-shirt really takes the 'worst wanker' of the year award ! Would like to see more of their hockey expertise. We can all learn from them.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Any idea if the trio at the end are still blogging ? They were all total wankers, but, the guy in the pale blue t-shirt really takes the 'worst wanker' of the year award ! Would like to see more of their hockey expertise. We can all learn from them.

im sure you could find those guys on HFBOARDS canucks...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/7/2018 at 7:59 PM, Brad Marchand said:

In certain instances, yes. When you react like the people at the end of this video that has already been posted here, you deserve to be mocked:

Jesus, both of those guys in blue shirts at the end made me want to stab myself in the ear drums to make it stop. I hope that Canucks fans routinely send them reminders of that video every once and awhile. 

Most of the vloggers pronouncing it "Peterson" was amusing as well. 

I think it'd also be funny if the end of the video was updated every once and awhile as Pettersson racks up points and accolades.