The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't know what's scarier...

-That he came back and played at all after that?

-That he came back and played otherworldly after that?

-That he doesn't remember any of it?

:wacko::unsure:

I saw the interview where he said he doesn't even remember scoring when he came back. Unreal in a scary way

• Cheers 1

Have to say, when I first watched Matheson's hit on Pettersson, it looked like he could broken his collar bone or arm/shoulder. He was slammed pretty hard on his side. An injury like that would've probably put Elias out for a long time, and then how he would be when he came back would be a concern. He got his head rattled and is under concussion protocol, and it sounds like he's making progress recovering. I guess we should be thankful, that the injury wasn't worse than what it is. Speedy recovery Elias! Canucks need you!

• Cheers 1

On 10/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, johngould21 said:

You can bet that more than a few guys on the bench wanted to do something, and I personally am glad they chose not to. First of all there would have been an instigator, plus a two or five minute penalty, depending on what Matheson responded with. The Canucks would have been nailed, and because of that, who knows, would there be a suspension to Matheson after this phone conference. I get how we're mostly responding, but listening to Keith Ballard, made more sense than those hipster dj's on SN this morning. The game is changing slowly but surely, and if the DOPS is adamant that they are going to eliminate head shots, and lesson concussions in the game, this is the best way to do it. Matheson got schooled by an elite rookie, and I'm sure Sunday morning he was regretting what he did, very much. I don't see him as that type of player.

If someone stepped in, most likely the referee would suddenly 'remember' the hit Matheson made, and the penalties would miraculously even out.  Not at all uncommon in such plays.

Remember that referees have to make their calls in the flow of the play - the play had already gone up the ice before the ref had a chance to evaluate what happened. In the forty odd years played hockey, I've had many conversations with refs between periods, where I questioned them on a call I didn't understand - frequently the answer was, "Yeah, I saw it, but I didn't really understand it till I played it back in my head a couple of times, but by then it was too late.  To which my answer was usually, "Thanks for explaining, I'm relieved because my first thought was that it was because I'm dating your sister." - or some such malarkey.

Edited by Ray_Cathode

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎14 at 10:28 AM, John McClane said:

Did anyone catch which coach at the panthers bench was patting Math an the back after the hit? All I could see was the hand. And who ever it was must have given him verbal congratulations and good job, because you could see Math smile and nod.

16 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Seems Matheson Called EP to check in on him and apologize, also said he understand, and agrees with his 2 games suspension even though it Wasn't his intent to Hurt him 

https://theathletic.com/594981/2018/10/17/florida-d-mike-matheson-apologizes-after-controversial-hit-is-staying-off-social-media-where-even-his-dog-isnt-safe/

Well if this is true and they were laughing after seeing him stagger like that

The apology seems week

A lot of criminals apologize after getting caught too

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

This is what scares me the most.  I mean I'm upset about him missing so many games early in the season, but what scares me to death is that Pettersson is going to be one of those guys who has concussion problems for the rest of his career (Lindros) and never gets a chance to play consistently.

Yes, I know I am jumping the gun, and it may be an irrational fear at this point, but man, it's certainly not a good start.

If he can keep from having his head driven into the ice, I am sure he will be just fine.   ANY player (any human for that matter) who has their head thrown into a hard surface like that will likely become concussed - it doesn't make them someone who has problems forever - it means they are human and their body responded accordingly to having their head drilled into the ice.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Kushman said:

If hes cleared to play for Saturday, anyone else think it would be  best if he took the game off? I just get a feeling that Rat Marchand would salivate at the opportunity to throw some sort of cheap shot to reinjure Petey

Very unlikely he will be cleared to play. Not yet skating on his own so probably still a few days away yet according to Ian McIntyre.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Patrick Johnston in todays Province:

There’s still lots to come, but the signs are good for Pettersson.

Under the six-step SCAT5 return-to-play protocol developed by the Concussion in Sport Group — a collection of 11 major global sports organizations, including the International Ice Hockey Federation — Pettersson is still a number of days away from returning.

First of all, he had to have to be symptom-free for at least 24 hours while doing his usual daily routines, the ones that don’t involve sports.

Obviously he’s past that, since he’s been doing physical activity the last few days.

To work his way back into activity, he’ll have started with Step 2, which allows for light aerobic exercise. Step 3 is sport-specific exercise, where Pettersson may be already. Step 4 involves non-contact training; Step 5 is a full practice. You spend at least 24 hours in each step; if any symptoms return, then the athlete goes back to the previous step.

As a result, it’s now normal for an athlete to take at least a week to return to action.

Given that the Canucks plan to give him a couple of proper ice times with his teammates before he returns to action, it seems unlikely he’ll play in either of the upcoming home games against Boston on Saturday or Washington on Monday.

Sucks for the wait but finally a decent protocol to hold teams and players accountable for their noggins.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Kushman said:

If hes cleared to play for Saturday, anyone else think it would be  best if he took the game off? I just get a feeling that Rat Marchand would salivate at the opportunity to throw some sort of cheap shot to reinjure Petey

I think Marchand cares a lot less about Vancouver than Vancouver fans care about Marchand. It was 8 years ago. Get over it. 

• Upvote 1

Season is barely 2 weeks old, no need to rush Pettersson back. This year is and always has been a growing experience for the team. Even if this were March with us a few points out of the playoffs there'd be no reason to rush him back. You don't mess with a guy's health for a few extra points, no matter the stakes. Take all the time you need to get healthy. Game isn't worth a lifetime of headaches and misery. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I think Marchand cares a lot less about Vancouver than Vancouver fans care about Marchand. It was 8 years ago. Get over it. 

I'm over it but I would still play reruns if Guddy harmonics Marchand into the ground. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Its like you don't even watch marchand play. He's a rat bastard that takes liberties against teams players and not just against the canucks. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

I'm over it but I would still play reruns if Guddy harmonics Marchand into the ground. 

its amazing how a 5' 9" guy strikes so much fear into the league.

EP's going to have a long career hopefully so might as well figure out his approach to guys like this now. 

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, when you consider what he gets away with because Jeremy Jacobs is on the Board of Directors, it is scary.

Watched a fair chunk of the Oilers/ Bruins last night. Don't know who the Oiler was, but there was an 'incident' away from the play where ratcrap was doing his thing. The Edmonton player pitchforked him. Went down hard, followed by whining to the refs. A happy moment !

Edited by SingleThorn
Oilers....not Flames
  • Haha 1