The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

He seems to do really well in the dot. Does anyone have his faceoff percent for the year?

I dont hink SHL keeps track on personal FO%, ill see what i can find

Edit: seems like Sid found it :D

Edited by ForzaTikare

26 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

43.69% 45W 58L

EDIT: link 

Not as high as I was thinking it would be. The last few reports i noticed looked positive. Maybe I just noticed them because they were.. has it been progressing with his extended time at center or am I just being overly hopeful?

51 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Not as high as I was thinking it would be. The last few reports i noticed looked positive. Maybe I just noticed them because they were.. has it been progressing with his extended time at center or am I just being overly hopeful?

He had a couple brutal games in the dot but he has been slowly getting better

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Maybe he'll be a centre in the NHL after all.

Based on comments from Judd Brackett, our director of scouting, the Canucks have seen him as a center long-term since we drafted him. Vaxjo had a plan to let him adapt to the shl as a winger, and his recent string of games at C was also a planned "tryout" to see how he does at C. He's been putting up points still lately, so perhaps they'll stick with it moving forward.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:
9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 4:07 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It is important to note that while Laine is doing very well this season, he hasn't improved his numbers from last year. Very small sample size, but one could conceivably use that as evidence that he entered the league already at his ceiling.

Lol

Yes.

We've seen a lot of high picks over the last several years enter the league all guns a blazing, and seemingly level out after their rookie years. Up until this season,  MacKinnon's most productive year was his rookie season. Nugent Hopkins still hasn't beaten his rookie campaign. Sam Reinhart is another example. There are quite a few examples of players that top out after their rookie campaigns, so to say there isn't some precedent wouldn't be an honest statement.

But, getting to the point, the debate was between Laine and Boeser, and how Laine entering the league at a younger age than Boeser somehow made Laine a much better player. Now, considering that next year Laine will be entering his draft +3 season, which is equivalent to where Boeser is now, is it reasonable to assume that Laine is going to have a far more productive season then Boeser is currently having?

I say no, and I don't quite understand why it's so hard for some people to accept the fact that we have a player in Boeser that is more-or-less on par with Laine. 

Anyways, back to Pettersson. He's pretty good too.

Somehow both your quotes ended up together on top of each other?

Players Levelling  out with Your small sample size? What is the point based on 1 year?

Do you have a crystal ball of their future?

Maybe you can find arguments for other players that fizzled out , but these players are still very young

Not sure what you are getting at making this statement? especially with these players you mention?

Mackinnon is 22, in his 1st year was .770 He is now at 1.25 (see how your point falls short without a crystal ball that works)?

Laine is ONLY 19 ! in his 1st and ONLY year scored at .877, The year isn't over and he is at .78 He is still a Teenager with over a decade of playing to come

RNH is 24  1st yr scored at .600, he surpassed it every yr except last yr and is surpassing it at the moment, while McDavid is now the top line centre

Sam Reinhart is 22 1st year scored at .111 and surpassed it each year since with .53,.59 and .40 this year and no longer the top dog with Eichel as the top centre

Crosby is 30 and last 4 yrs hasn't reached the same % but has 2 Conn Smythe Trophies and 2 Stanley Cups and Olympic Golds

I just don't see the point in making statements like this?

If Boeser doesn't reach the same level next year, what will you be saying then, that Boeser will never reach that height again?

I am not getting into a debate of Boeser over Laine - Both are very good players

I like Boeser and glad he is on our team

The league has lots of great players

Something we can both agree on, (and i will end my discussion of this while on the Pettersson board)

Back to Pettersson, he's pretty good too

18 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Players Levelling  out with Your small sample size? What is the point based on 1 year?

Do you have a crystal ball of their future?

Maybe you can find arguments for other players that fizzled out , but these players are still very young

I never said it was the standard. You're framing it as though I said it was the norm, when all I'm saying is that there is precedent.

And who's saying "fizzled out"? I said entered the league already in their prime. Pretty massive distinction there.

12 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Not sure if you think I don't like Daniel. I love the Sedins. My comment was the Captain Hindsight moment where you realize that Henrik ended up being the alpha Sedin ( not by much and a lot has to do with being a centre ). My comment was a revisit of the pre draft Sedin thoughts. Daniel was highly regarded, Henrik, not so much ( in a very weak draft ). Using those Capt. H goggles, Henrik should be #22 and Daniel #33.

still think its such a poor comparison. Daniel until the concussion was a goal scorer. And they were point for point probably because Daniel buried so many chances. After the concussion it was Daniel to henrick to goal scorer not named Sedin. 

I have a feeling Pettersson will probably start as a winger in the NHL and transition to C too. 

He does seem a bit more productive as a winger than a C so far playing against men in both the SHL and Allsvenskan.

We wont really need him to play C if 4 of Horvat, Sutter, Gaudette, Gagner, Gaunce, and Granlund all play well in the middle over next 3 years or so. 

As such I think we could see him fill in as a C when injuries happen, but spend most of his time on the wing until he proves to be a better option in the middle.

There is a good chance we will draft another high quality C over the next 3 years as well. So it shouldnt really matter where he plays as long as he is productive.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Vanek-Pettersson-Ericksson would be a good line next year to break him in as a C, otherwise I would be interested how he looks on a line with horvat and boeser

Don't think I want him starting there. Maybe as the season progresses if he gives the coaches no choice (like Boeser did).

If it was up to me (it's not and I assume the Sedins will be back), I'd like to see something like:

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Kane, Sutter, Granlund

Eriksson, Gaudette, Pettersson

Hansen, Gaunce/Dowd etc, Virtanen

Gagner

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't think I want him starting there. Maybe as the season progresses if he gives the coaches no choice (like Boeser did).

If it was up to me (it's not and I assume the Sedins will be back), I'd like to see something like:

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Kane, Sutter, Granlund

Gagner

I like the way you're thinking but I wouldn't want to throw him in with a rookie and a player who only plays some nights. 

I would pair him with Sutter to start.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 73 Percent said:

I like the way you're thinking but I wouldn't want to throw him in with a rookie and a player who only plays some nights. 

I would pair him with Sutter to start.

It's not set in stone, that's the personnel I'd like to see and they'd clearly get moved around during the season regardless.

That said, Sutter's our match up C, Not a good fit for a kid I'd want to give the Sedins offensive sheltering to IMO. 

Eriksson's ridiculously solid defensively to help those kids and has always been a complimentary player to play drivers. Well, there's two play driving kids to play with in largely sheltered minutes. I think that line would likely do very well (assuming chemistry).

10 minutes ago, Derp... said:

We wont really need him to play C if 4 of Horvat, Sutter, Gaudette, Gagner, Gaunce, and Granlund all play well in the middle over next 3 years or so. 

I would definitely take Granlund out of that mix.  He is a career 40% face-off guy and the level of his other skills are not good enough to survive at centre with that number.  They have tried and tried to have him play centre over the years including this year and it just doesn't work.  Gagner is also weak on the dot but at least he is more in the 45% career range, and a little bit better than that the last few years.  Gaunce is the same range as Gagner without the benefit of much experience at the NHL level.  Can't find the stats, but I recall when he was playing full time centre prior to the NHL he had good numbers, so I believe if given the opportunity and experience he could elevate his number.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, cory40 said:

still think its such a poor comparison. Daniel until the concussion was a goal scorer. And they were point for point probably because Daniel buried so many chances. After the concussion it was Daniel to henrick to goal scorer not named Sedin. 

Daniel scoring at .798 per game

Henrik scoring at ..812 per game.

Daniel has missed more games, perhaps it took him a few games to get back in the groove after his returns to the ice?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Kane, Sutter, Granlund

Gagner