The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Don’t see many 5 forward powerplays but wth. right?

I meant dahlin of course. But wth right. Though I did misspell his name and meant dahlin, there have been pp that are all forwards. It’s certainly not unheard of. 

10 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Camp will be full of fun with Pettersson along with Gadjovich, Lind, Gaudette Juolevi Demko.

9 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I watched every minute of camp at Rogers Arena before this season. Enjoyed it immensely. With the flood of prospects due to attend main camp (EP didn't attend) next year...well, September cannot come fast enough. And who knows, with some luck in the draft lottery we may have yet another elite prospect to drool over. 

I just hope the team has camp at Rogers Arena again. That worked out incredibly well....Skytrain in from the burbs, get off Skytrain, watch camp all day, Skytrain home. Beautiful. Even an ill-prepared Juolevi couldn't diminish the experience. ;)

I'm incredibly bullish on EP...with the caveat that I've yet to see him truly dominate on an NHL ice surface. The world juniors was a bit tough to judge him on....with the flu he had and some rather bizarre Team Sweden player deployment decisions. My prediction is that his transition to North America won't be seamless....but he will figure it out soon enough. On the power play, with more room to operate I fully expect him to conjure up lots of that SHL wizardry he showed this year. 

I'm hoping camp is accessible to fans, that'd be rad. The only prospect I'm confident will make the squad is Gaudette, Demko is looking solid and Juolevi is coming along but I wouldn't be in any hurry to bring em to the bigs. Whereas Gaudette looks ready. Pettersson could surprise, but he's gonna have to break down the door and hold his own. I think the Canucks are still leaning towards letting him stew so he'd have to show them he's simply too skilled to keep off the roster.

It'll be a lot of fun regardless of who makes it and who doesn't though, just because there's hope going into the oncoming camps and prospect camps. We've got some legitimate prospects for the first time in god knows how long and it's exciting!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't mind the idea of EP maturing for 1 more year in Sweden, but I think the coach is projecting what his own desires are a little bit :lol: ("please god let me have him 1 more year," something along those lines)

My thoughts exactly. Sounds dick ish when he says it's his decision not Vancouvers. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Is there really a need for him to go back to Sweden next year? He's already proved he's the best player in the league, at just 19. Maybe he goes back next year and get 60 or so points instead of the 50 or so he'll get this year. While thats great it's just confirming  what we already know. 

The coach is absolutely protecting his own interests, just as Gaudette's will, by saying another year in college won't hurt. Get EP in North America and just let him learn even if its a year in the AHL

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Is there really a need for him to go back to Sweden next year? He's already proved he's the best player in the league, at just 19. Maybe he goes back next year and get 60 or so points instead of the 50 or so he'll get this year. While thats great it's just confirming  what we already know. 

The coach is absolutely protecting his own interests, just as Gaudette's will, by saying another year in college won't hurt. Get EP in North America and just let him learn even if its a year in the AHL

Yeah I wouldn't be against a year with the comets. They play less games so it's am easier schedule to build muscle.

Isn't that what the leafs did with nylander?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Yeah... I can see that another year in the SHL wouldn't hurt per se and certainly give more time to add some muscle etc, but as you say, it doesn't really teach us anything new or particularly challenge him. And IMO, you need to keep challenging him. 

So even if he's not good enough for the Canucks, I'd lean toward him spending either all or part of the year in Utica over the SHL. 

17 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I wouldn't be against a year with the comets. They play less games so it's am easier schedule to build muscle.

Isn't that what the leafs did with nylander?

Yeah, the Leafs kept him with the Marlies for parts of two seasons. I have always maintained they kept Nylander down with the Marlies in the 2015/16 until they were sure their tank plans for Matthews were successful.

Edited by Rick Blight

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Alright here's the plan kids. 

Boeser  wins Calder.

We collect our free jersey from pears?

We draft dahlin this year.

EP and gaudette play next year for the comets.

We win the 1st overall pick for the 2019 draft in Vancouver.

Eriksson develops an allergy to his equipment.

We all get Vancouver Stanley cup champion tattoos on our rears. 

Apricot will be happy to hear that you have Pears paying for the jerseys.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Would not be apposed to this idea of him staying one more year in Sweden.  Utica will already have a large influx of rookies coming in with Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, and potential signings of Stukel, Mckenzie, it might be a good route to leave Pettersson to fully mature in a mens to start next season.  If it gets too easy for him, easy to just bring him over to Utica.

As much as you want him to physically be acclimated to the North American game, you want him physically prepared as well to endure those physical battles.  You want him to honestly be able to engage in physical battles when he is physically ready.  It would be worse to throw him in when he isn't ready to engage physically and likely either see him passively decide not to engage in board battles, or one on one battles, or see him try but hurt himself or simply get rag dolled around which could lead to his confidence diminishing. 

I kinda want to see what he does over the summer though.  No doubt he needs to get stronger, but that won't happen over a season, its gunna take a while to develop. 

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Would not be apposed to this idea of him staying one more year in Sweden.  Utica will already have a large influx of rookies coming in with Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, and potential signings of Stukel, Mckenzie, it might be a good route to leave Pettersson to fully mature in a mens to start next season.  If it gets too easy for him, easy to just bring him over to Utica.

As much as you want him to physically be acclimated to the North American game, you want him physically prepared as well to endure those physical battles.  You want him to honestly be able to engage in physical battles when he is physically ready.  It would be worse to throw him in when he isn't ready to engage physically and likely either see him passively decide not to engage in board battles, or one on one battles, or see him try but hurt himself or simply get rag dolled around which could lead to his confidence diminishing. 

I kinda want to see what he does over the summer though.  No doubt he needs to get stronger, but that won't happen over a season, its gunna take a while to develop. 

Utica will be easier than another year of SHL ...and he is WAY too good for Utica right now...never mind in 6 months...

This is just his coach lobbying to get him back for another year in the SHL...

EP will be on the Canucks next year unless his coach has hypnotic power's over him....

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Disagree, Utica next year is the best place for him. He can work on his strength and centre play alongside future line-mates such as Dahlen and Lind. If he comes over he has Canucks and Utica trainers right beside him teaching him how to be a pro and bringing up his physicality levels. Plus he will get to transition to a smaller ice surface and in my mind better players.  Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind is the line Id like to see down there next year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't mind the idea of EP maturing for 1 more year in Sweden

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... I can see that another year in the SHL wouldn't hurt per se and certainly give more time to add some muscle etc

Benning was pretty clear that he wants all three of them (EP, JD, OJ) over here next year.  EP is not going to "muscle up" playing another year in Sweden.  In fact, if that's the goal then we'll just loan him to the Iron League for a while.  He'll come back hard as a rock, ready to throw down against anyone.  Ripped and #tuffasnails.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Benning was pretty clear that he wants all three of them (EP, JD, OJ) over here next year.  EP is not going to "muscle up" playing another year in Sweden.  In fact, if that's the goal then we'll just loan him to the Iron League for a while.  He'll come back hard as a rock, ready to throw down against anyone.  Ripped and #tuffasnails.

Bruh, why you gotta edit out the key part of my post?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... I can see that another year in the SHL wouldn't hurt per se and certainly give more time to add some muscle etc, but as you say, it doesn't really teach us anything new or particularly challenge him. And IMO, you need to keep challenging him. 

So even if he's not good enough for the Canucks, I'd lean toward him spending either all or part of the year in Utica over the SHL. 

It's pretty clear my feelings on the situation.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bruh, why you gotta edit out the key part of my post?

It's pretty clear my feelings on the situation.

'Cuz only addressing that point, and hopefully neutering others from grabbing and running with it.

Besides, your "leanings" are weaksauce compared to Rollieo's "just watch" and "LOCK!"

;)