The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

lol, from the admitted Canuck-hater.  Curious how they bring confessed haters in to cover the team, then wonder why there's this big kerfuffle when others in the media call them out for incessant negativity and nastiness.

When/how  did he admit to that?

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

Lol guys a clown - we aren't claiming victory we are celebrating his success and trying enjoy a positive after a bad season and just losing Boeser.. lol

Those idiots can say what they want. Bottom line is every player he surpassed. The twins Peter kent  All went on to remarkable careers. Anyone comparing him to Rodin is just out to lunch. EP broke A 42-year-old record at 19. Rodin was what 25 when he won the scoring title.  No comparison at all. As for them saying that the other 4 teams would keep their picks? I think NJ and Philly for sure would think long and hard about it. The other two really needed D but still, I'm sure they would ponder long and hard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I’ve never understood this thought process. How do you propose to have the Sedins and those 2 rookies on the same team?

let our rookies get used to the pro game in the AHL next season and then watch them graduate in spades.

Easily get rid of Dowd Gags Motte in Utica Archie I think will not be on the club next year. we have enough guys with grit coming up next year and would rather give his spot to Lind etc Gaunce is done in the NHL IMO That's 4 spots for the rookies. Loui can also be traded or waived next year. I'm sure if we retained A team would take a flyer on him at 3 mill. I get letting the rooks play. But Dank is gonna be close to 30/60 and hank close to 60. Do we really let them go hoping our rookies can fill the void? Tough decisions. Now if we get one of the top2 forwards and sign Kane then ya maybe we part ways.

A lesson to be learned is even if you question the pick, wait a few pages before posting it lol.  I actually didn't post anything on EP though I thought the Nucks were taking Glass.  You can't blame fans for wanting Glass though, Craig Button wouldn't shut up about how he was the next Mark Scheifele and seriously who wouldn't want a player like Scheifele on this team?

Anywhoo, that's water under the Port Mann now.  Can't wait to see EP next year!  Has the Sedins mentioned anything about this yet?  Got to wonder if EP factors in their decision to come back for one more year. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to start this out by saying I'm a huge fan of Pettersson.  He has elite skills for sure and has surpassed a number of great stars in rookie scoring.  He projects well and should have a great NHL career.

That said, Walker has a point.  Elias hasn't played a single NHL game.  This only means that there's a chance, albeit a small one, that Pettersson doesn't transition to the NA game well.  He's played his whole career in Sweden and on big international ice.  There's a very good chance he makes that transition and a strong chance he becomes a superstar here.  Just no guarantee.  I think Walker plays this potential down side a bit too hard, but I suspect it's a calculated play to gather clicks when people see his twitter page linked.

30 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I'm going to start this out by saying I'm a huge fan of Pettersson.  He has elite skills for sure and has surpassed a number of great stars in rookie scoring.  He projects well and should have a great NHL career.

That said, Walker has a point.  Elias hasn't played a single NHL game.  This only means that there's a chance, albeit a small one, that Pettersson doesn't transition to the NA game well.  He's played his whole career in Sweden and on big international ice.  There's a very good chance he makes that transition and a strong chance he becomes a superstar here.  Just no guarantee.  I think Walker plays this potential down side a bit too hard, but I suspect it's a calculated play to gather clicks when people see his twitter page linked.

Elias Pettersson could turn into a massive bust and never play an NHL games and his name will still be in the history books as the kid who broke Kent Nilsson’s junior scoring record. That’s worth celebrating no matter what happens in the future, IMO

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

This response is to too logical... 1000% correct...

But, I'm an optimist, so I'm going to ride the hype train and blow all of this out of proportion because I'm excited. 

Lets just celebrate the fact that he broke a bunch of U20 Records in the third/Fourth best league in the world... 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SpennyCanuck said:

This response is to too logical... 1000% correct...

But, I'm an optimist, so I'm going to ride the hype train and blow all of this out of proportion because I'm excited. 

Lets just celebrate the fact that he broke a bunch of U20 Records in the third/Fourth best league in the world... 

I mean if all those guys could translate their skill to the NA ice so can EP. Simple logic^_^

45 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Dahlin hasn't either and Walker and other of your Vancouver media are going on about how he is a lock, Norris winner in future and would make your team all that much better.   It cuts both ways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lakers said:

Kent Nilsson spoke to the media last night! These are some quotes from different articles:

"Elias had already tied up with Nilsson after just two periods, if 54 points was the actual number.

-I don't really give my old records that much of a thought if I'm being honest. I do remember that I reached the same points as Lars-Erik Ericsson in my final game. I think it was 53 points. Anyways, it was a different era, bear in mind that I managed to do this in just 36 games. Imagine if it was 50 games, would have been like a hundred instead...

Nilsson laughs. Just as magic off the ice as he once was on it. I asked him if he was surprised that Elias managed to beat him - the answer? No. Not for a second.

-He truly is an excellent player, with superb hands. When he bulks up a bit, he's going to be very hard for the other teams to handle, Nilsson says.
-I really love watching him play, he's the type of player that you start counting shifts until he's on the ice again."

Hockey Chronicle in the largest News-website in Sweden:

"Kent Nilsson, Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin, Nicklas Bäckström. Elias Pettersson has beaten them all as a junior.
Last night I had the opportunity to watch hockey history, as a 42 year old record got broken. 
Elias Pettersson show. One goal and two assists in the same period - point number 53, 54 and 55 of this season in the SHL. 

Then I had to watch one of the most epic tributes I've ever witnessed from the audience in Vida Arena - standing ovation for minutes.
It reminded me of Börje Salming in Canada Cup. It just wouldn't end. The game was put on hold, so Elias Pettersson could scoop up all of that amazing atmosphere. It was a moment that he'll always remember. 
Canucks are placed in the bottom of the Pacific Division. They have nothing to play for, no hope at all this season. No hope might have been a bit of a stretch, since they were able to get their hands on a generational talent with their #5 pick. Who could have thought that? The talk on the town in Vancouver was disappointment "who is this scrawny kid from Sweden?" they said. They wanted something else, something more powerful. Jim Benning had to make a gamble, and boy did it pay off... I haven't seen such a talented player since Forsberg and Nilsson, players that could make your jaw drop to the floor. Players that was just on a different level. 

(...Then the article just talks about records....)

In my eyes, Elias Pettersson could become the best Swedish player in the history of this lovely game. He's a Super Superstar. If he gains some weight, he's going to be unstoppable in the NHL, no doubts about it. Can he beat Nilssons Swedish record of 132 points in 82 NHL-games? Well, probably not. But, one thing I know for sure is that he's going to be pretty damn close.

Hope you like it :)

fun read - thanks for posting that. 

15 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Virtanen is more bertuzzi than Jonah

I think a better comparable for Virtanen is Justin Abdelkader.  Jake is faster and will be better in my opinion but more that type of player.  

16 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Virtanen is more bertuzzi than Jonah

How so?

Bert was 6'3'' and played at as high as 240 lbs.  With magnificent hands, even some dangle, and finish. Bertuzzi was best in front of the net, immoveable, could push people out of the way to get rebounds. But could also venture out, handle, protect & dish the puck. Gadjoviich has some of that, at least some ability to make plays. Just not to the same degree. And also plants his ass in front of the net. Plays with an edge, goes to battle in the corners. Gadgy scores almost all his goals on tips, plays near the net & rebounds.   

Jake is different & does none of those things. Certainly does not have the soft hands & dangles, nor net front game? Jake's game is speed, slashing to the net & cutting yo the net. Although he does have size & finish checks. Now anyways, with Green having got ahold of him, he is using his speed to patrol passing lanes. Fore check, harass puck carriers. Back check? Scores on the counter attack. Not just gain weight & believe he can compete by being heavier in the corners. What he does have with that speed is a beautiful shot & quick release! Jake will be at his best when he gets to play with Gaudette?  My opinion is they will thrive creating havoc, and Jake will score a lot more when he has a counter attacking defensive centre that also makes plays, can feed him the puck when he slashes to the net.

As opposed to a pure defensive centre, like Sutter. Gaudette is hopefully going to be more like a Krecji or, cant hang this expectation but, Bergeron?

I'd like Jake to use what size he does have?  Battle in front of the net more, use his big ass more, get tips & rebounds...      

I'm right there with everyone excited to have this kid in our system. I do, however, hope that there will not be mass panic if his transition to the NHL is a bit bumpy. Ray Ferraro's latest thoughts on him are pretty much exactly my own. The smaller NHL rink will inevitably take away space for him to operate and increase the amount of physical contact....something that his current frame is not ideally built for. The kid is so smart he will likely figure out what he can get away with here. The predictions I see around here that he is going to show up and dominate (might happen) make me squirm a bit uncomfortably. Can't wait to watch every single moment of him at Training Camp....along with Lind, Gaud, Olli (put in the work this Summer man)....and the rest. Was tempted to add the obligatory Rasmus Dahlin....but that kind of behaviour will only increase the anguish when we don't get him.

And I also dream of the day that Rogers Arena has even a FRACTION of the energy that Vaxjo's arena displayed in that video of Elias' breakaway goal. The play-by-play guy....what a GREAT call on the goal. Shivers. Let's get him coached on some rudimentary English and get him over here....hell, I'd listen to that guy in Swedish quite happily.