The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

He was pretty good at the World Junior Championships as well. Let's hope Elias can put up these kind of numbers......

ALL-TIME LEADING SCORERS           
Player  Country Games
Forsberg, Peter  SWE   14   10   32   42 
Reichel, Robert  TCH   21   18   22   40 
Bure, Pavel  RUS   21   27   12   39 
Mogilny, Alexander  RUS   21   18   17   35 
Tikkanen, Esa  FIN   21   17   18   35 
Ruzcika, Vladimir  RUS   19   25    9   34 
Naslund, Markus  SWE   14   21   13   34 
Sundstrom, Niklas  SWE   21   18   15   33 
Keskinen, Esa  FIN   14   10   22   32 
Lindros, Eric  CAN   21   12   19   31 
Rosol, Petr  TCH   21   18   12   30 
Helminen, Raimo  FIN   14   11   18   29 
Nylander, Michael  SWE   14   14   14   28 
Pivonka, Michal  TCH   21   15   11   26 
Makarov, Sergei  RUS   14   12   14   26 
Krutov, Vladimir  RUS   11   15   10   25 
Roenick, Jeremy  USA   14   13   12   25 
Federov, Sergei  RUS   21   10   14   24 
Allison, Jason  CAN   14    6   18   24 

ALL-TIME GOAL SCORING LEADERS           
Player  Country G Years Played 
 Bure, Pavel  RUS  27  1989/1991 
 Ruzicka, Vladimir  CZE  25  1981/1983 
 Naslund, Markus  SWE  21  1992/1993 
 Rosol, Petr  CZE  18  1982/1984 
 Reichel, Robert  CZE  18  1988/1990 

MOST GOALS IN ONE YEAR, PLAYER          
Player   Country G Years  
 Naslund, Markus  SWE  13  1993 
 Ruzicka, Vladimir  CZE  12  1983 
 Bure, Pavel  RUS  12  1991  

TOP SCORERS - 1989 ANCHORAGE, USA          
Player   Country G A    P  
 Roenick, Jeremy  USA  8   8   16  
 Modano, Mike  USA  6   9   15  
 Bure, Pavel  RUS  6   14  

TOP SCORERS - 1991 SASKATOON, CAN          
Player   Country G A    P  
 Weight, Doug  USA  5   14   19  
 Lindros, Eric  CAN  6   11   17  
 Bure, Pavel  RUS  12   3   15  

37 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Kirk McLean skated behind his net toward a sliding puck. He reached out and stopped it. For a moment, he waited

The goalie had done so countless times during his career in hockey, an unremarkable and routine play. But what happened on this night, Nov. 5, 1991, he would never forget. After a beat, McLean’s newest teammate on the Vancouver Canucks came rushing toward him. In one motion he swooped in, received the puck from his goalie and was off. McLean returned to his crouch in front of the net, but never took his eyes off the prized rookie, one of the most hyped imports in NHL history, as he disappeared into the other end.

A sea of fans inside the Pacific Coliseum began to rise, their roar cresting in anticipation as the Canucks winger whirred up the ice, leaving even his teammates in awe.

“The crowd was anticipating something,” McLean said. “Everybody was mesmerized. Most of the guys on the bench, as well, watching to see what would happen.”

His speed, McLean can still recall, was something to behold, almost unseen in the NHL at the time, and when paired with his inhuman agility seemed unfair to those he skated by. The result of the play, the kid’s first shift in the NHL, almost didn’t seem to matter. “He didn’t score, but certainly it showed what he was capable of doing at high speeds handling the puck,” McLean said. “Like a Connor McDavid does now.”

This, 25 seasons ago, was Pavel Bure.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/remembering-pavel-bure-25-years-after-his-standout-rookie-season

Thanks for this - cool stuff and hair raising on the arm feeling going through this.   Canuck fans then must have been in heaven coming to games when he was on the team - even if not a great team at times, having someone like this to see every third or fourth shift would have been soooo cool to see.   

32 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Here's a livestream of Vaxjo vs. Davos. Pettersson on the top line:

Been watching this game from start - Davos is a high quality team and Pettersson looks great so far.   Looks fast, in control and not out of place physically at all.   They have him on top line and on first PP unit.    Nice looking player.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Been watching this game from start - Davos is a high quality team and Pettersson looks great so far.   Looks fast, in control and not out of place physically at all.   They have him on top line and on first PP unit.    Nice looking player.

Still a little disjointed, I don't think his teammates know how to play with him yet. I've seen a few quick passes fail to generate anything. 

4 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Still a little disjointed, I don't think his teammates know how to play with him yet. I've seen a few quick passes fail to generate anything. 

He seems to be threading passes to players not expecting them that is for sure.   He seems to be playing as if the game is slower for him than it is for the others - that is what I am finding so impressive.   I am noticing he keeps being on the ice when his team scores - that is never a bad sign!   This (looking ahead of things) is how Juolevi looked to me at the Prospect's Game.    

Edited by Rob_Zepp
  • Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He seems to be threading passes to players not expecting them that is for sure.   He seems to be playing as if the game is slower for him than it is for the others - that is what I am finding so impressive.   I am noticing he keeps being on the ice when his team scores - that is never a bad sign!   This (looking ahead of things) is how Juolevi looked to me at the Prospect's Game.    

Agreed, the passes between Juolevi and Pettersson will be unreal in the future. You can just picture those two setting Boeser up for non stop PP goals!

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Impressive pass but I really like the fact he headed directly to the front of the net and would have been in perfect position if that attempted back pass through the legs to him would have worked.

that would have been an amazing goal if they were somehow able to get it back to him.

He had a strong game.   Looked quite fast (perhaps everyone else was simply slow?) and definitely far from out of place.   He could have had three or four points on powerplay alone.    He was often first in on the forecheck which I didn't expect but his attempts at stapling people to the wall was a bit humorous to watch as it didn't have a lot of effect.    All-in-all, the pace of play and the moves/plays he made showed he will certainly not be out of place in SEL as an 18 year old and will benefit far more from it than playing in junior hockey one would think.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Kirk McLean skated behind his net toward a sliding puck. He reached out and stopped it. For a moment, he waited

The goalie had done so countless times during his career in hockey, an unremarkable and routine play. But what happened on this night, Nov. 5, 1991, he would never forget. After a beat, McLean’s newest teammate on the Vancouver Canucks came rushing toward him. In one motion he swooped in, received the puck from his goalie and was off. McLean returned to his crouch in front of the net, but never took his eyes off the prized rookie, one of the most hyped imports in NHL history, as he disappeared into the other end.

A sea of fans inside the Pacific Coliseum began to rise, their roar cresting in anticipation as the Canucks winger whirred up the ice, leaving even his teammates in awe.

“The crowd was anticipating something,” McLean said. “Everybody was mesmerized. Most of the guys on the bench, as well, watching to see what would happen.”

His speed, McLean can still recall, was something to behold, almost unseen in the NHL at the time, and when paired with his inhuman agility seemed unfair to those he skated by. The result of the play, the kid’s first shift in the NHL, almost didn’t seem to matter. “He didn’t score, but certainly it showed what he was capable of doing at high speeds handling the puck,” McLean said. “Like a Connor McDavid does now.”

This, 25 seasons ago, was Pavel Bure.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/remembering-pavel-bure-25-years-after-his-standout-rookie-season

awesome post dude .. just freakin awesome ..        I literally have tears in my eyes 

44 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

When/If Pettersson puts on some strength he should be dominant in any league. Hopefully that extra strength doesn't slow him down because wow is he fast now lol

Fast as in what? Hands? Skating? He's certainly not a fast skater if that's what you we're alluding to.

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Bure's standout ability that very, very few have been able to match was his ability to stickhandle at top speed. He was exceptionally strong (dedicated to fitness and weights unlike anyone else in that era, even if it seems commonplace now), had elite quickness, vision, a great shot, was willing to stand up for himself - he had it all, but his ability to think and physically execute at speed put him as the most electrifying player ever in my books.

Petterson definitely has skill - he can stickhandle in a phone booth, has great vision, a deceptive/accurate shot, etc. - but he lacks the physical attributes of Bure and isn't at Bure's level for being able to do it all while skating top speed. As others have said, that's not a knock on his speed or handling, just that you're comparing to possibly the best of all time in that category. We still have a possible gem on our hands, but he'll have a little longer development path and will need good players around him to achieve that greatness vs Bure being able to dominate all on his own.

Its like comparing a BMW to a Ferrari. The only other player I've ever seen stick handle at that speed is McDavid 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kaner said:

Fast as in what? Hands? Skating? He's certainly not a fast skater if that's what you we're alluding to.

I see the kid as processing the game extremely fast.  Maybe that makes him appear to be quicker than he really is?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He had a strong game.   Looked quite fast (perhaps everyone else was simply slow?) and definitely far from out of place.   He could have had three or four points on powerplay alone.    He was often first in on the forecheck which I didn't expect but his attempts at stapling people to the wall was a bit humorous to watch as it didn't have a lot of effect.    All-in-all, the pace of play and the moves/plays he made showed he will certainly not be out of place in SEL as an 18 year old and will benefit far more from it than playing in junior hockey one would think.

I should know this, but would SEL be considered the world's best league other than NHL?

Also, the thing that excites me is he seems to impress at every juncture. For years it seems we've always been making excuses or reasons why our prospects haven't shown up at different tournaments...it's nice to finally have one that does seem to do so.

Edited by nzan

10 minutes ago, nzan said:

I should know this, but would SEL be considered the world's best league other than NHL?

Also, the thing that excites me is he seems to impress at every juncture. For years it seems we've always been making excuses or reasons why our prospects haven't shown up at different tournaments...it's nice to finally have one that does seem to do so.

I would say the KHL and the AHL are by far better leagues. 

• Upvote 1