The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 6/24/2017 at 9:51 AM, Warhippy said:

The biggest fear I have with Petterson is his ability to actually gain weight

Look at the breadth of his shoulders.  He's not much different than the female anouncer.  They're about as wide across the shoulders as each other.

That slight of a frame will have a very tough time putting on weight and I can see him around 180 pounds in 2-4 years.

Think about a 180 pound center here in the west/pacific as a 1st line center.

I have a lot of faith and hope in him but there's a long LONG term project in our organization in Petterson

Surely a 6'2'' 180 lb center could never make it in the NHL West?

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/1917

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Surely a 6'2'' 180 lb center could never make it in the NHL West?

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/1917

I think the twins were around 180lbs when they were drafted and they are now 188lbs.  The concern for Elias is that he is only around 165lbs soaking wet and that genetics could be a factor in his ability to increase substantial weight.  His brother is 4yrs older and is currently sitting at 176lbs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=164513

Of course there are other C's in the NHL that are playing with a below average weight and doing fine, but it just makes it more physically punishing.  The Sedins have worked hard to develop physically and have managed to withstand some incredible intensity along the boards and in front of the net.  It did take them a few years to adjust and become elite NHL players.

Genetics are not always the physical prediction in a family, so hopefully Elias is like the younger brother who outgrows his siblings.   If not, it may be a tough transition to the NHL for him.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2017 at 4:18 PM, Toews said:

I enjoy that from him. He knows his position and wants to make himself ready first before jumping in. I'd prefer him to play again men in the top league before making that decision, and it allows a proper development. I mean I appreciated how McCann forced himself into the lineup but it did hurt him in the process, where Pettersson even with him coming to North America he's immediately eligible for the AHL. I really hope Gaudette and Dahlen enters the league the same time too, gives a top line up and would convince Juolevi to spend a year there, let them dominate the AHL. 

6 hours ago, hyper00 said:

I enjoy that from him. He knows his position and wants to make himself ready first before jumping in. I'd prefer him to play again men in the top league before making that decision, and it allows a proper development. I mean I appreciated how McCann forced himself into the lineup but it did hurt him in the process, where Pettersson even with him coming to North America he's immediately eligible for the AHL. I really hope Gaudette and Dahlen enters the league the same time too, gives a top line up and would convince Juolevi to spend a year there, let them dominate the AHL. 

Why would Juolevi have to be convinced to go to Utica?  Once he's in the system it's not really up to him where he plays.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Why would Juolevi have to be convinced to go to Utica?  Once he's in the system it's not really up to him where he plays.

9 hours ago, hyper00 said:

Juolevi can't go to Utica next year. Its either the NHL, London Knights or Europe.

One year in Europe and then NHL!

Edited by RetroCanuck

31 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Juolevi can't go to Utica next year. Its either the NHL, London Knights or Europe.

I know he can't go to Utica this year.  Im wondering why he would need to be convinced to go to Utica when he is eligible.

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2017 at 7:06 PM, RetroCanuck said:

And Pettersson is playing in Sweden this season, so I was referring to the year after :P

On 2017-08-08 at 3:18 PM, Toews said:

Only downside to no contract this year is that he loses his slide eligibility. If he signed a 2017 deal, he'd have two years his contract could "slide" which could reduce his cap hit (as the signing bonuses come off and his AAV gets reduced) when he finally makes the NHL. If he signs next season, due to his birthday, there's a special exception (players age 19 on Sept 15 of signing year but turning 20 between Sept 16 and Dec 31) whereby he loses any slide eligibility.

https://www.capfriendly.com/slides/

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Only downside to no contract this year is that he loses his slide eligibility. If he signed a 2017 deal, he'd have two years his contract could "slide" which could reduce his cap hit (as the signing bonuses come off and his AAV gets reduced) when he finally makes the NHL. If he signs next season, due to his birthday, there's a special exception (players age 19 on Sept 15 but turning 20 between Sept 16 and Dec 31) whereby he loses any slide eligibility.

https://www.capfriendly.com/slides/

If he signs next year,  he'd be playing in Utica one would think and he wouldn't be sliding anyway, no?

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If he signs next year,  he'd be playing in Utica one would think and he wouldn't be sliding anyway, no?

I'd have to check the CBA for the particulars to be 100% sure.

I know that contracts can slide in the AHL. Nylander's did in 2014-15 (when he played half the year with the Marlies).

I'm pretty sure slide risk is determined by the player's age on Sept 15 of the year the season starts. So if Pettersson signed this year, he'd have his age 18 (2017-18) and age 19 (2018-19) seasons slide eligible. But if he signed next year, he falls under the exception rule (turning 20 between Sept 16 and Dec 31) and can't slide.

EDIT: of course we're only talking about less than a couple 100K of potential cap space. Assuming Pettersson plays his first NHL season in 2019-20, it's the difference between his cap hit being $925,000 or $863,333 (if he'd slid twice), for the three seasons from 2019-20 to 2021-22.

Just find it interesting that the Canucks haven't signed him. There doesn't seem to be any advantage for the club in waiting. 

EDIT2: There is an advantage for Pettersson, however, as signing next year has the potential to bring him to RFA status one year earlier (than if he signed this year and slid twice).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4

On 2017-08-08 at 3:17 PM, Camel Toe Drag said:

It's safe to say he'll be money in the shoot out for us no matter what happens. 

lets hope so, he will be up against NHL tenders tho. Lots of times those trick moves go nowhere against the best between the pipes.

Plus 1 for edit 2 @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I also believe Euro players have a bit more earning power on that side of the pond. In comparison to the AHL?  Plus the Lifestyle advantages of being at home, etc..

Which is why KHL and SHL guys have out clauses to go back to Europe if they are not in the NHL. Credit to the ones who believe in learning the N American game. And take a hit to play in the AHL in the name of their best development curve...

• Upvote 1