The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's an interesting wrinkle for sure and suggests to me that Pettersson's lack of a contract this year is not really a Canucks decision but something that the player and his agent have decided is in Pettersson's best interest.

From the Vancouver perspective, signing Pettersson now would give them more control. They can whittle some dollars off his eventual AAV (and get it as low as $863,333 versus the max $925,000) by sliding his contract 1-2 years. And they would have the option to play him the full 2018-19 season in Utica without burning a year of his deal.

Signing next year means no matter where Pettersson plays hockey, the clock starts on his three year ELC. 

This contract delay creates a very intriguing hypothetical for 2021. On a 2017 signed contract, with two slides, Pettersson would be heading into the 2021-22 season on the final year of an $863,333 AAV contract (AAV reduced from $925,000 due to two years of signing bonus payouts). 

With a 2018 signed ELC (which is what looks like will happen), Pettersson actually starts the 2021-22 season on his freshly minted RFA contract (possibly with an even higher AAV than Horvat pending extension if things go really well with Pettersson's development).

This could all conceivably be happening right around the time when this team actually starts winning. And you have to wonder what several extra million dollars in cap space might mean for a 2021-22 Canucks team that's entering its competitive window.

It would only be that one season (2021-22), but still, that's basically the cap space needed to add a quality player to the lineup. Maybe even the kind of player that makes the difference between winning and losing a playoff series.

It'll definitely make for some interesting forum posts if things shake out that way.

We'll see what happens.

But I actually suspect the Canucks plan to have Pettersson playing in the NHL in 2018-19. At least for enough games to start burning contract years. And that would render this all moot (as he'd start burning years in 2018-19, regardless of whether he's signed this year or next, and would hit RFA status in 2021 in either case).

Still, by not signing Pettersson now, they've effectively removed the option of slowcooking him (either in the AHL or even for another SHL season) and not burning that 2018-19 year off his 3-year ELC.

And I find it hard to believe management would choose this timeline unless the impetus for waiting a year on the contract was coming directly from Pettersson's camp.

Could he theoretically still sign some time, in say December, to get around this? (As unusual as that would be.)

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Could he theoretically still sign some time, in say December, to get around this? (As unusual as that would be.)

Yep. Any contract signed in calendar 2017 should be considered an age 18 contract (signing age) and allow for two potential seasons of slide eligibility. Just checked CBA (9.1-2) and that's the read I get.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

The question is whether or not Pettersson would even sign a 2017 contract?

The more I think about it, the more this looks like he's following his agent's advice.

And if that's the case, Pettersson's agent deserves props for finding a way to guarantee his player hits RFA status as early as possible and maximizes his career earning potential.

It effectively comes down to Pettersson leaving $92,500 (2017 signing bonus) on the table so that he can potentially earn several million more in 2021 (and over his career).

Not sure what the Canucks could offer to get him to sign early? Maybe a max ELC with max bonuses and favourable targets? 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not sure what the Canucks could offer to get him to sign early? Maybe a max ELC with max bonuses and favourable targets? 

good assessment, but my feeling is Benning doesn't really care one way or the other and is happy to let EP develop next year in the SEL contract or no contract. Sort of like burning a year of Boeser's contract last season, it made sense to bring him up and get his career going. If it means paying more because the kids perform better I think Benning views that as a nice problem to have. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/16/2017 at 0:26 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The more I think about it, the more this looks like he's following his agent's advice.

And if that's the case, Pettersson's agent deserves props for finding a way to guarantee his player hits RFA status as early as possible and maximizes his career earning potential.

It effectively comes down to Pettersson leaving $92,500 (2017 signing bonus) on the table so that he can potentially earn several million more in 2021 (and over his career).

Re your earlier post.  Charlie McAvoy is in that situation.  He burned a year of his ELC by playing only 6 NHL games because he will turn 20 this December. 

All he is doing is deferring his signing bonus so reason more so to not sign now.  He's not leaving any money on the table unless he only signs a two-year ELC but that's an age 22 signing.  The minimum targets are defined by the CBA.  

The advantage of signing him now is that they could recall him in January if they felt that was better for his development.   Only first round picks can be recalled per the SHL/NHL agreement and the deadline is early January.  Toronto did that with Nylander and Nashville with Fiala.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

Re your earlier post.  Charlie McAvoy is in that situation.  He burned a year of his ELC by playing only 6 NHL games because he will turn 20 this December. 

All he is doing is deferring his signing bonus so reason more so to not sign now.  He's not leaving any money on the table unless he only signs a two-year ELC but that's an age 22 signing.  The minimum targets are defined by the CBA.  

The advantage of signing him now is that they could recall him in January if they felt that was better for his development.   Only first round picks can be recalled per the SHL/NHL agreement and the deadline is early January.  Toronto did that with Nylander and Nashville with Fiala.

I probably could have stated that better. Just meant he was forgoing money this year in favour of the potential to earn more in 2021-22. And that by hitting his RFA payout earlier, he likely earns more money over the length of his career. But yeah, the total payout on his ELC wouldn't change. Just the time it takes to finish out the deal.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:26 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

you're thinking too much.  We will sign him and lock him up.  Don't worry.

43 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Here is the first highlight of the new season for EP40

Game winning assist.

https://streamable.com/5zdan

Elias got that pass off in a hurry and without looking...right on the tape...this kid is going to be great for us!

We are collecting some highly skilled set-up men and some sure-fire snipers in Boeser, Goldy, Gaudette and Dahlen....we just need another year or 2 to get it all together.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys just thought I would add the start of Elias' reg. season schedule from the Lakers website for anyone wanting to try and catch some of his games, I couldn't find the pre season games. for some reason there were two schedules so I put them both on. :

31/08/2017, 18:30

Växjö Lakers HC - HC Davos Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
02/09/2017, 15:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Bili Tygri Liberec Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
08/09/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Frölunda HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
19/09/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Brynäs IF Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
23/09/2017, 15:15 Växjö Lakers HC - Örebro HK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
30/09/2017, 18:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Frölunda HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
05/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Mora IK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
11/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Cardiff Devils Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
13/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Karlskrona HK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
19/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - IF Malmö Redhawks Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
26/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Frölunda HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
28/10/2017, 18:00 Växjö Lakers HC - HV 71 Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
04/11/2017, 18:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Rögle BK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
18/11/2017, 15:15 Växjö Lakers HC - Skellefteå AIK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
21/11/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Färjestads BK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
28/11/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - HV 71 Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
30/11/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Luleå HF Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
09/12/2017, 18:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Örebro HK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
21/12/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Brynäs IF Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
26/12/2017, 18:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Skellefteå AIK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct

19/09/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Brynäs IF Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
21/09/2017, 19:00 Linköpings HC - Växjö Lakers HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
23/09/2017, 15:15 Växjö Lakers HC - Örebro HK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
28/09/2017, 19:00 Skellefteå AIK - Växjö Lakers HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
30/09/2017, 18:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Frölunda HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
05/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Mora IK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
08/10/2017, 14:00 Djurgårdens IF - Växjö Lakers HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
13/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Karlskrona HK Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
14/10/2017, 18:00 Karlskrona HK - Växjö Lakers HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
19/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - IF Malmö Redhawks Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
21/10/2017, 15:15 Luleå HF - Växjö Lakers HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
24/10/2017, 19:00 Färjestads BK - Växjö Lakers HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
26/10/2017, 19:00 Växjö Lakers HC - Frölunda HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
28/10/2017, 18:00 Växjö Lakers HC - HV 71 Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
03/11/2017, 19:00 Rögle BK - Växjö Lakers HC Hockey H2H Direct Comparison H2H Direct
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I look at your Avatar, and realize we would be so much further ahead for grit and toughness if we had a Chris Pronger roaming our blue line.  

If he didn't have the eye injury I'm sure he would still hold is own. One of the best ever. 

• Upvote 2