The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

And God said, ‘I didn’t make those!’  Robin Williams RIP. 

Do you think Debour (is that the coach?) looked at the Jumbotron, and moved over so the well endowed girl wold be on screen?  It looks like he did to me.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

You're a pretty good hockey guy, would you put EP at C this season?  He wasn't able to play there, last season in the SHL, and he's clearly lost in the faceoff circle.

Are you going to put him out for ozone draws so they can lose possession of the puck?  Faceoffs, along with defensive play, make up 95% of cmans game.  

Why are you and others so thinned skinned?  Players can have weak points, holes on their game and still be great players.  People were screaming for TG to put  Hank on the wing because he was bad in the dot.......hrs world's better than EP is right now on faceoffs.

So he's not an NHL cman yet?  It doesn't mean he can't score a bundle from the wing........positions really only apply in the d-zone and faceoffs anyway.

I think your getting the gears for the ‘never be a center’ or close to that sentiment in that post. 

We all get the gears sometime and today it’s your turn.  Your point got missed or not delivered the way you wanted, who gives a $&!#.  

Best advice, turn off the CDC for a few days and forget it. Your a respected poster IMO and you backed yourself into a CDC corner and we will hound you until the next person does it and then so on and so on unless you are ‘Clutch’ and we will never let that go. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you think Debour (is that the coach?) looked at the Jumbotron, and moved over so the well endowed girl wold be on screen?  It looks like he did to me.  

I was thinking the same thing.  Guy's a real hustler...got a real snoot full on the jumbo.  lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

He was sixth on Vaxjo for total face offs at 133 and won just 40%. His neutral zone faceoffs were alright but he was just 37% offensive zone and 33% defensive zone. Gagner is a shade under 48% over the last two years. Not great but he makes the most sense (Henrik was 46.5% last season). Sutter has averaged around 53% since joining the Canucks, Jay Beagle was one of the best in the league at 58.5%, and of course Horvat is also a beast at 53.8% last season. 

Trying to understand your point?

Vaxjo isn't anywhere near the NHL level

You make comparisons of his % to those of NHL players, who play against the worlds best centreman ???

He couldn't win a faceoff against an outclassed Jets prospect team that is nowhere near NHL caliber

He needs to improve on the faceoff - It is just a fact

Probably why he played wing 

A) The only way he's going to improve is by taking more draws.

B ) We're not exactly a cup contender anyways, so what does it matter?

C) Statistics show that faceoff percentage has little-if-nothing to do with the outcome of a game or season. Hell, we won 8-2 yesterday while our top line center didn't even win a single draw. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Boeser took most of the draws his final year at ND iirc.  Those two will go together like bacon and cheddar I tell you whut.

I've liked the idea of our 1st line being Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser for a while now and I would like to see them together for a while. However, recently I've thought about pairing Pettersson and Boeser together and spreading out the talent a little bit. Horvat is effective no matter who he plays with and it could be a good opportunity to bring some other players up higher in the lineup:

Goldobin - Horvat - Virtanen

Pettersson - Gagner - Boeser

Roussel - Sutter - Eriksson

Baertschi - Beagle - Leipsic

Schaller

If Virtanen and/or Goldobin slows down, Baertschi and/or Leipsic could replace them.

Regarding Pettersson playing center this year, I don't think it would be a good idea. I've said it before, but I think it would highlight his weaknesses and hinder his strengths and he wouldn't have the best year possible. 

It's no secret that Pettersson's biggest weakness is literally physical weakness and relying on him to cover people down low defensively would expose that more often than it needs to be. There would more then likely be multiple times where we get scored in simply because Pettersson's man shoved him away and scored, which isn't a great way to build confidence. I'd rather get scored on because Gagner was weak defensively rather than Pettersson. It also gives him more to think about defensively and a little less freedom to simply generate offense. Faceoffs are a fairly minor point compared to the other two, but still something to consider. 

I think Pettersson should be on the wing for the full season this year and then maybe we could try him in the middle at some point next year depending on how the year goes. 

5 hours ago, stawns said:

You're a pretty good hockey guy, would you put EP at C this season?  He wasn't able to play there, last season in the SHL, and he's clearly lost in the faceoff circle.

Are you going to put him out for ozone draws so they can lose possession of the puck?  Faceoffs, along with defensive play, make up 95% of cmans game.  

Why are you and others so thinned skinned?  Players can have weak points, holes on their game and still be great players.  People were screaming for TG to put  Hank on the wing because he was bad in the dot.......hrs world's better than EP is right now on faceoffs.

So he's not an NHL cman yet?  It doesn't mean he can't score a bundle from the wing........positions really only apply in the d-zone and faceoffs anyway.

Hilariously incorrect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

C) Statistics show that faceoff percentage has little-if-nothing to do with the outcome of a game or season. Hell, we won 8-2 yesterday while our top line center didn't even win a single draw. 

He doesn't understand difficult theories like you are writing lol.

Your post is excellent!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I guess we'll have that discussion in a few weeks then. He was good defensively and his offensive instincts already put him in the discussion for me. Putting him in the middle where he can distribute the offense makes him a valuable center. His counterparts are Gagner, Granlund and possibly Gaudette (who I see a victim of the numbers game and starting in the AHL).

Again. You're placing way too much value on 1 exhibition game.

To be fair, that’s not true at all.  Pettersson wasn’t much for faceoffs last season either. 

I know a lot is riding on him panning out as a C man, but if he’s going to play it this season it seems likely to be in a super sheltered role with at least one other linemate who is experienced taking draws.  

Everyone is so sensitive, geez.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

On the flip, he can practice his face offs..... in practice with Manny and against stalwarts like Bo, Sutter and Beagle.  

Id wager faceoffs don’t matter much because most guys land pretty close to 50%.  Most regular C’s are at least in the mid  40’s which means maybe they lose 2 or 3 more than they win a game.  If you’re tossing up 0’s I’d bet you’d see a tangible impact.  

As a kid breaking into the league, even a super star kid, why throw that anchor around his neck when he could be a complete stud as a winger?

There’s still team dynamics and it’s never a good feeling to get special treatment when you’re trying to earn the respect of your teammates... who are still trying to win no matter what the fan’s expectations are.

17 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

On the flip, he can practice his face offs..... in practice with Manny and against stalwarts like Bo, Sutter and Beagle.  

Id wager faceoffs don’t matter much because most guys land pretty close to 50%.  Most regular C’s are at least in the mid  40’s which means maybe they lose 2 or 3 more than they win a game.  If you’re tossing up 0’s I’d bet you’d see a tangible impact.  

As a kid breaking into the league, even a super star kid, why throw that anchor around his neck when he could be a complete stud as a winger?

There’s still team dynamics and it’s never a good feeling to get special treatment when you’re trying to earn the respect of your teammates... who are still trying to win no matter what the fan’s expectations are.

But taking faceoffs in an in-game situation is different to taking faceoffs in practice. Not to mention that he'll still be practicing his faceoffs in practice anyways.

As far as the position hindering him, he still had a great game last night, despite not winning any faceoffs, and I'm willing to bet that he's mentally tough enough to handle some struggles in the circle to start off.

And let's keep in mind that Pettersson is already getting special treatment anyways. He's going to be in the top 6 when the season starts no matter what. They players themselves aren't stupid. They're with it enough to know exactly what's going on, and why Pettersson would be in the dot. 

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I'm sure he cares some negative whiny poster on CDC has set the bar for him. HAHA.  You seem to overestimate people caring what your opinion of EP is. 

Just replying to replies.  I'm courteous that way.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

D) According to his coaches, he picks up and learns everything that's been thrown at him, even when he's seemingly not paying attention to instruction.  Kid's a naturally intuitive hockey talent, he'll get better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

Hilariously incorrect

How so?  Once a team is on the attack, positions don't apply anymore.  F1, F2 and F3.......their responsibilities depending on the system being used.

Once they get back on defense, positions apply again (for the most part)......wingers at points, cman down low.  

Defensive zone play and faceoffs

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1