The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watched the Sweden vs Norway game and the commentator said that Pettersson is probably the most talented player on that team. I thought that was nice, but watching the games, Nylander is playing out of his mind. He has really good speed, puck possession and confidence, and he wants to score. There was one play where he had the puck and was playing keep-away skating around the O-zone, even took a hit and kept the puck on his stick. That bit of grit was impressive. They were saying that Nylander is using this tournament as a springboard to the upcoming season. If he plays like he is now, he's going to have a very good year. I never wanted Nylander before, but he would be a great addition to the Canucks.

I agree about Princess Nylander.  I really hated how he's played in the past.  But I think he's shown this season that he is willing to be a physical player.  I would like if we got him here, providing the cost wasn't too much.  I think he would mesh will with Bo.  

Pettersson is clearly the most talented player, maybe in the whole tournament.  He's a unique player for sure.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watched the Sweden vs Norway game and the commentator said that Pettersson is probably the most talented player on that team. I thought that was nice, but watching the games, Nylander is playing out of his mind. He has really good speed, puck possession and confidence, and he wants to score. There was one play where he had the puck and was playing keep-away skating around the O-zone, even took a hit and kept the puck on his stick. That bit of grit was impressive. They were saying that Nylander is using this tournament as a springboard to the upcoming season. If he plays like he is now, he's going to have a very good year. I never wanted Nylander before, but he would be a great addition to the Canucks.

Nylander looked really rusty game one but ever since then he's been unbelievable. Sweden's best forward bar none. 

If we could get Toronto to sell low on him that would really really be something. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Nylander looked really rusty game one but ever since then he's been unbelievable. Sweden's best forward bar none. 

If we could get Toronto to sell low on him that would really really be something. 

Nylander has always played like a superstar in Europe and the national team. Think the larger rinks and (often) poor opposition suits him well. Pettersson on the other hand hasn`t really shone as of yet. Tbqh the boy`s been struggling since the allstar break. Looks hesitant and rather taken by the occasion too often. Hope its just an early sophmore slump and he`ll comeback out firning next season. Dont care about the WC tbh.

• Like 1

Nylander looks like he's put on a few pounds, playing pretty confident, driving the net. Pettersson is still very skilled, but I wish he would shoot more or play with more confidence. Like the Sedins, he seems more interested in making a pretty pass, than scoring himself.

34 minutes ago, Skip Spence said:

Nylander has always played like a superstar in Europe and the national team. Think the larger rinks and (often) poor opposition suits him well. Pettersson on the other hand hasn`t really shone as of yet. Tbqh the boy`s been struggling since the allstar break. Looks hesitant and rather taken by the occasion too often. Hope its just an early sophmore slump and he`ll comeback out firning next season. Dont care about the WC tbh.

Uh, I just watched this evening's game in full on tape - and have not a clue how you can say he is a "struggling" player.   He was all over the ice including driving to the net inclusive of being in a few scrums.   His play away from the puck looked very strong.    I know he is only putting up 1.5 points per game right now but, hey, if that is struggling......:picard:

• Haha 1

Wow, met Stan Fischler a few times and he is an absolute legend.   Interesting compare and nice to see people all over the hockey world talking about EP40.   

https://www.nhl.com/news/stan-fischler-compares-elias-pettersson-and-camille-henry/c-307369108

Pettersson, Henry play same game, Fischler says

Compares Canucks rookie's first NHL season to 1953-54 Calder Trophy winner with Rangers

by Stan Fischler / Special to NHL.com
 May 14th, 2019e
cut.jpg

Legendary hockey reporter and analyst Stan Fischler will write a weekly scrapbook for NHL.com this season. Fischler, known as "The Hockey Maven," will share his knowledge, humor and insight with readers each Wednesday.

Today, he compares Vancouver Canucks rookie center Elias Pettersson to Camille Henry, a forward who won the Calder Trophy as the NHL rookie of the year with the New York Rangers during the 1950s:

Camille Henry of the 1953-54 New York Rangers and rookie Elias Pettersson of the Vancouver Canucks were headline grabbers in their first NHL season.

Henry, nicknamed "The Eel" because of his slippery style, won the Calder Trophy as the League's top rookie 65 years ago. Pettersson's impressive talent and offensive production have made him a favorite to win the Calder this season.

Pettersson's assets include his exceptional vision and superior playmaking ability and a penchant for driving to the net, as well as the ability to score goals and create plays.

"The terrific thing about Elias is that he's just scratching the surface," Vancouver coach Travis Green said. "He's creating some kind of excitement not only with the Canucks but throughout the League."

cut.jpg

That's what Henry did after signing with the Rangers in the fall of 1953. He scored against Chicago Blackhawks goalie Al Rollins in his NHL debut on Oct. 11, 1953, for his first of his 279 goals.

"Henry was a skinny kid," Rangers general manager Frank Boucher said of the 5-foot-9, 152-pound Quebec City native, "and, really, we never expected him to get close to scoring 20 goals [in his rookie season]."

But by the middle of March, "the Eel" had 20 goals. He finished his first NHL season with 24, second on the Rangers to Wally Hergesheimer's 27 and sixth in the NHL.

Pettersson's Calder Trophy credentials include leading the Canucks and topping all NHL rookies in goals (28), assists (38) and points (66). Just as Henry did with the Rangers, the 6-foot-2, 176-pound center far exceeded expectations.

"We didn't know what to expect from Elias at camp, but he's surprised us big-time," Green said. "His hockey sense is off the charts."

That was evident on Nov. 2 at Rogers Arena. The Canucks defeated the Colorado Avalanche 7-6 in overtime, with Pettersson scoring the tying goal with 36 seconds remaining in the third period before setting up Derrick Pouliot for the OT winner. He finished the night with two goals and three assists, becoming the youngest player in Canucks history to have five points in a game.

Henry's specialty was the power play. His most memorable game took place at Olympia Stadium in Detroit on March 13, 1954, when the Rangers defeated the eventual Cup-champion Red Wings 5-2. Henry might have cemented the Calder by scoring four of New York's five goals against future Hall of Fame goalie Terry Sawchuk. All four came on the power play.

"I could have had a fifth," Henry said, "but by that time I couldn't even skate; I was shaking so much. Still, my four goals cost Sawchuk a couple of thousand dollars (in awards money) because [Toronto Maple Leafs goalie] Harry Lumley beat him out for the Vezina and the First All-Star Team."

Pettersson may not cost any NHL goalie the Vezina or a vote for the First All-Star Team. But like Henry, he's a threat every time he's on the ice.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nylander looks like he's put on a few pounds, playing pretty confident, driving the net. Pettersson is still very skilled, but I wish he would shoot more or play with more confidence. Like the Sedins, he seems more interested in making a pretty pass, than scoring himself.

The tourney really starts in the quarterfinals. I'm not sure we'll have the same view on Nylander vs EP when the opposition gets tougher, but we'll see...

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, I just watched this evening's game in full on tape - and have not a clue how you can say he is a "struggling" player.   He was all over the ice including driving to the net inclusive of being in a few scrums.   His play away from the puck looked very strong.    I know he is only putting up 1.5 points per game right now but, hey, if that is struggling......:picard:

My comment about Pettersson struggling is referring more to his NHL form after the AS break than the past few WC games. Where he’s got 6 pts in 4 but tbh, the opposition’s been very poor and the kid hasn’t really played that well. But again, that doesn’t really matter, the past three games have been stale and slow tempo blowouts. He (and Willie) should be judged for what they do against the likes of Canada, Russia and the US and not Norway or Austria. 

IMO Pettersson still has to up his game a few notches to reach superstardom. He’s had a great start in the NHL but next season he has to show that he can be consistently productive and dominant despite being targeted. And he still lacks a few things here imo. Has a great shot but doesn’t use it enough, his release has to be quicker (better team mates would help too). He’s quick with great hands but isn’t as effective as he could be 1 vs 1. He’s creative but also quite prone to the occasional bad give-away. 

Hope he he has it in him to make the needed improvements but I think Canucks fans would do well to somewhat temper their expectations. He’s nowhere near the level of McDavid, McKinnon or Crosby yet and I doubt he will ever reach it too. But I hope I’m wrong and he is a thing if beauty nevertheless. 

3 hours ago, Skip Spence said:

My comment about Pettersson struggling is referring more to his NHL form after the AS break than the past few WC games. Where he’s got 6 pts in 4 but tbh, the opposition’s been very poor and the kid hasn’t really played that well. But again, that doesn’t really matter, the past three games have been stale and slow tempo blowouts. He (and Willie) should be judged for what they do against the likes of Canada, Russia and the US and not Norway or Austria. 

IMO Pettersson still has to up his game a few notches to reach superstardom. He’s had a great start in the NHL but next season he has to show that he can be consistently productive and dominant despite being targeted. And he still lacks a few things here imo. Has a great shot but doesn’t use it enough, his release has to be quicker (better team mates would help too). He’s quick with great hands but isn’t as effective as he could be 1 vs 1. He’s creative but also quite prone to the occasional bad give-away. 

Hope he he has it in him to make the needed improvements but I think Canucks fans would do well to somewhat temper their expectations. He’s nowhere near the level of McDavid, McKinnon or Crosby yet and I doubt he will ever reach it too. 

Wow, superstardom.    That is required of him?   Why not let him be what he will be.   He just had the best point production season in the history of a 50 year old franchise and it wasn't good enough for you.   He is just barely out of his teens and has potentially 15 to 20 years of professional hockey yet to play and you are criticizing his play, his decision processes on the ice and even his selection of opposition in a global tournament.    

Wow.   And I guess if he doesn't reach the level of those three names who happen to arguably be the best three hockey players not named Wayne or Mario of the past few decades then he doesn't live up to your expectations?    

Wow.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, superstardom.    That is required of him?   Why not let him be what he will be.   He just had the best point production season in the history of a 50 year old franchise and it wasn't good enough for you.   He is just barely out of his teens and has potentially 15 to 20 years of professional hockey yet to play and you are criticizing his play, his decision processes on the ice and even his selection of opposition in a global tournament.    

Wow.   And I guess if he doesn't reach the level of those three names who happen to arguably be the best three hockey players not named Wayne or Mario of the past few decades then he doesn't live up to your expectations?    

Wow.    

Dude, enough with the hostility, alright? Becoming one of the leading players in this league is the expectations many here have of him, and it is also my hope. Its in relation to these lofty expectations I’m judging him. Don’t get me wrong though, he’s already quite brilliant and comfortably the best player on the roster. Love the kid! 

On 5/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson is still very skilled, but I wish he would shoot more or play with more confidence. Like the Sedins, he seems more interested in making a pretty pass, than scoring himself.

You're kind of looking at this from one angle, however, when you've been "outed" for your skill and scoring as Petey has, that attracts defenders like a magnet.  He's had to become creative in order to keep the opposition wondering if he'll shoot/score or set up something for someone else.  Keeps them guessing.  Mixing it up rather than being one dimensional. 

He should shoot more and he's said that...but he also has to keep it creative.

It's not about making a "pretty" pass....it's about eluding those who expect him to shoot.  His passes just happen TO BE pretty because he's so damned skilled and can see things in a split second that others might miss.  He's not trying to be fancy, he's fooling his opponents and never gives up on a play.  Often, these things happen when you feel like he has no options.  

The Sedins were magicians and so is he...I see that more as a pro than a con.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Skip Spence said:

Dude, enough with the hostility, alright? Becoming one of the leading players in this league is the expectations many here have of him, and it is also my hope. Its in relation to these lofty expectations I’m judging him. Don’t get me wrong though, he’s already quite brilliant and comfortably the best player on the roster. Love the kid! 

No hostility here.   Just amazed at the expectations and then criticism of a kid who just sent 50 year old franchise records.   If you "love the kid" you have an odd way of showing it.

• Upvote 2

We also need to surround him with a better supporting cast. As always we need more consistant secondary scoring so that teams will need to concentrate on more than just EPs line. Also, once he has 2 skilled wing options to pass to teams will have to defend the entire line instead of just him and Brock. Perhaps easier said than done because this is the same thing all 31 teams are attempting to accomplish.

• Cheers 1

On 5/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, cory40 said:

Elias had an awesome season! He broke Pavels record. He also was undersized and playing a completely different position. Yet he excelled. He will get stronger and when he does he will be as good as many here feel he will be. He is crazy fast and yet has room for growth. As he gets stronger his legs will hold him up a lot better. He at most of the season was 5 pts above 1ppg. But then he slipped as he clearly was fatigued. He also had the fatigue of last years Swedish championship. No small feat. And also the play-off MVP. He has shown he can lead. Its too bad he isn't resting! But that will come very soon! Once he is rested and 1 year older its scary to think what he will bring to the table.

Throw Hughes on the back end.  (something the Canucks have been lacking) All year I watched our defense lack that first pass. And often hesitate and lose that play only elite players find. Hughes will bring that confidence from the get go. Plus he can skate and pass so forwards will be wary to rush him.  

I honestly forgot that Pettersson wasn’t a lock to play C before last year.  I remember now being quite doubtful, especially after preseason, if he’d play C this past season.

The kid is unreal.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, cory40 said:

Elias had an awesome season! He broke Pavels record. He also was undersized and playing a completely different position. Yet he excelled. He will get stronger and when he does he will be as good as many here feel he will be. He is crazy fast and yet has room for growth. As he gets stronger his legs will hold him up a lot better. He at most of the season was 5 pts above 1ppg. But then he slipped as he clearly was fatigued. He also had the fatigue of last years Swedish championship. No small feat. And also the play-off MVP. He has shown he can lead. Its too bad he isn't resting! But that will come very soon! Once he is rested and 1 year older its scary to think what he will bring to the table.

Throw Hughes on the back end.  (something the Canucks have been lacking) All year I watched our defense lack that first pass. And often hesitate and lose that play only elite players find. Hughes will bring that confidence from the get go. Plus he can skate and pass so forwards will be wary to rush him.  

Props!

Hughes was the guy JB wanted cause of his possession game.  His zone exits and entries were more than double any other d man in his brief debut.  These are pros and Hughes blew them away. 

Possession was our strongest aspect during the peak Sedin years.  It is the key to any real success and when your GM doesn't draft a d man for 6-8 years in the top 2-3 rounds other than Yann (look both ways) Sauve, it can really create a void.   

The increased presence of D men being taken in the top 60 by a Nucks GM is so very important.  

Hughes is a guy who creates chemistry too.  I think he could be paired with anyone and play either side, especially on the PP.  

Get him and a healthy OJ feeding pucks and keeping possession will only increase Ep40's numbers.  

This team will be able to do things it hasn't in a long time.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1