The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

It is crazy. Twitter is a nightmare.

But the funniest part is when crazies talk about trades - because their brains don't work, they always want to trade players at their lowest value.

A month ago nobody wanted to trade Miller even though he was perhaps our only forward that could have garnered full value.

But yeah, let's trade Petterson when he's just signed a huge contract and is obviously struggling...for.... a fifth and futures?

Wait until he get's back to his beastly ways as you say and is back at top value - and where will all that trade chatter be?

Yeah. I find that to be odd as well. Most of the fans that present trades on Twitter would make the absolute worst GM’s in NHL history. Would make Benning look like a genius in comparison. 

He needs to wake up, I not sure what his off season looked like but he has been trash this season. Looks like a shadow of the player he has been for the past couple seasons. Maybe that injury was more serious then they let on, his hockey IQ and skills are too good to look this bad.   

I'm definitely seeing confidence issues with Petey still. He's often not getting his shots off quick enough and gets attacked too early. I've love for him to start shooting right away and without hesitation more often.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

There is a big risk in dealing him on both sides. He may get back to his old ways and become a number one center. If they sit back and wait and he finishes the year showing no improvement then you are stuck with a third line center that you are paying 7.3mil.  Lets be honest here, he is still a solid NHL player and will improve in lots of other ways. 

There's no risk in dealing him, he's not being dealt.

It's a ridiculous discussion that some people cooked up on a message board.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, Putgolzin said:

There's no risk in dealing him, he's not being dealt.

It's a ridiculous discussion that some people cooked up on a message board.

I have bitxxed about Pettersson in this thread numerous times as I perceive that he acted unprofessionally by failing to improve his skating and gain muscle weight in the offseason. However, even I have not asked Pettersson to be traded, although I would not mind seeing what may be available out there (Erik Cernak:rolleyes:). Is he going to be a disappointment like Ryan Johansen? Possible. It is too early to tell. 

2 hours ago, Maddogy said:

I have bitxxed about Pettersson in this thread numerous times as I perceive that he acted unprofessionally by failing to improve his skating and gain muscle weight in the offseason. However, even I have not asked Pettersson to be traded, although I would not mind seeing what may be available out there (Erik Cernak:rolleyes:). Is he going to be a disappointment like Ryan Johansen? Possible. It is too early to tell. 

Pete is worth a lot more than Cernak, who (like Pete) is struggling this year.  Ryan Johansen is on the verge of having his best season ever and would be 2nd in points on the Canucks. 

I think Pettersson is the odd man out on this one. 

The team was going to be built around him. I think that may have been a major source of frustration for Miller and others dating back to last season and the plans may have changed.

With the arrival of Boudreau, everyone got carte blanche and no rule was safe.

If we look at the makeup of this team, a few parts were moved around like a game of musical chair until it fit, and the last one who got a chair was Boeser.

Pettersson has continues to struggle, probably exacerbated by holding out and missing the pre-season, and signing a massive contract. 

Where Hughes could pull it off, Pettersson may be an anchor going forward.

The kid is skilled. But the arrogance may have killed the room.

Edited by Me_

I am the first to admit that Petey has not performed up to par. I think he would admit the same.

I also have no idea WHY he hasn't been up to par. 

I'm also concerned, as this team would be a whole lot better if we could rely on him to bring at least close to a point per game.

But on the other hand, I think it's just a matter of time before we see "old Petey". His skill and drive has been quite evident in the past, and I think he just needs to find himself again. There are no circumstances under which it makes sense to move him right now.

35 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I also have no idea WHY he hasn't been up to par. 

Missed half the season last year. Missed camp this year. Recovering from wrist injury (took Boeser near a full season to look "back to normal" from his).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Missed half the season last year. Missed camp this year. Recovering from wrist injury (took Boeser near a full season to look "back to normal" from his).

Changed sticks to or three times. I think he also did something with his skates, could be wrong

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

I think Pettersson is the odd man out on this one. 

The team was going to be built around him. I think that may have been a major source of frustration for Miller and others dating back to last season and the plans may have changed.

With the arrival of Boudreau, everyone got carte blanche and no rule was safe.

If we look at the makeup of this team, a few parts were moved around like a game of musical chair until it fit, and the last one who got a chair was Boeser.

Pettersson was continues to struggle, probably exacerbated by holding out and missing the pre-season, and signing a massive contract. 

Where Hughes could pull it off, Pettersson may be an anchor going forward.

The kid is skilled. But the arrogance may have killed the room.

Yikes.  Awful lot of speculation there, man. 

Glad this guy isn't giving up on Pete...

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-coach-boudreau-buoyed-by-pettersons-pluck-in-working-to-turn-competitive-corner

There it is!

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-coach-boudreau-buoyed-by-pettersons-pluck-in-working-to-turn-competitive-corner

There it is!

In this video with Bruce mic'd up, he also tells Petey that he's the hardest working guy in practice. Ego? I think not. Start at about 3:53 to hear it.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

For the first two points, yes - I'm sure that was challenging, but that's in the past. I'm no professional hockey player, but to me, I think 3 months is plenty of time to get back on track. Hell, Hughes was good to go and he missed camp too. And as far as the injury goes - ok, that I can buy into and was a concern at the start of the season. However, he has publicly stated multiple times that his wrist feels great and is 100% healed. Granted, that could be just a tactic to keep other players form focusing in on his injury, but Petey has rarely been one to mince words and if he says it's ok, I think it's ok.

From the looks of his play on the ice, this is more a mental thing than anything. He's making poor choices out there, and I think his energy level and speed has seemed questionable since he came back. Both of which he should have been working hard on while away.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

There it is!

i mean this city is known to give up on their players after 1 season.. last year they were dumping on hughes.. then before that it was boeser.. and they were dumping on sedins when they first started.. seriously the guy haven't even hit his peak yet he's 23.. let him work out his struggles.. like u guys year after year defended virtanen lol but ready to trash and ship pettersson out.. he's 23.. not even at the start of a players prime yet.. before ppl like his arrogance his calm etc etc.. now he's an arrogant prick get him out of town lol classic vancouver

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

In this video with Bruce mic'd up, he also tells Petey that he's the hardest working guy in practice. Ego? I think not. Start at about 3:53 to hear it.

Looks like Boudreau is a great coach with players. Very nice to see. Thanks for the video.

I do hope that Pettersson gets better. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Like a father figure... everyone needs one now and again... Good to see...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i mean this city is known to give up on their players after 1 season.. last year they were dumping on hughes.. then before that it was boeser.. and they were dumping on sedins when they first started.. seriously the guy haven't even hit his peak yet he's 23.. let him work out his struggles.. like u guys year after year defended virtanen lol but ready to trash and ship pettersson out.. he's 23.. not even at the start of a players prime yet.. before ppl like his arrogance his calm etc etc.. now he's an arrogant prick get him out of town lol classic vancouver

I'm a bit confused here, Wai_lai.  I think you may be referring to the person I was answering to.  I don't think I've ever trashed on of the team's young players.

I'm going to make a prediction. When this season ends for the Canucks, Pettersson will go in for surgery on his wrist to fix something.

I don't think the rehab worked the way it was supposed to, I think he's having issues with it.

He's playing well defensively, but he's not doing the passes or shots that he's shown that he's capable of.