The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Blueger and Mikheyev.  It needs to work or else kiss our PK hopes goodbye.

Not re-signing Pettersson before October is going to be a big mistake.

What if they sign him in November? Will that be okay? :lol:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Indeed, Blueger will likely be the PK1 guy, but I'd love Petey as the PK2 guy, perhaps with Miller, as long as Miller puts in the effort.

Petey and Miller were the only two players to score 5 short handed goals last year, leading the league in that category, so I don't think there's too much to worry about Miller's effort. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Petey and Miller were the only two players to score 5 short handed goals last year, leading the league in that category, so I don't think there's too much to worry about Miller's effort. 

Miller's effort was pretty poor to start the year, but he worked hard near the end and his two-way game returned.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Miller's effort was pretty poor to start the year, but he worked hard near the end and his two-way game returned.

The most important part of Miller's game is consistency. Obviously, any other player, as well. That's something that he is getting better at, year after year. 

Regardless, the fact remains, Petey and Miller led the NHL last year in short handed goals. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The most important part of Miller's game is consistency. Obviously, any other player, as well. That's something that he is getting better at, year after year. 

Regardless, the fact remains, Petey and Miller led the NHL last year in short handed goals. 

Definitely true. When Miller is on his game, he's a great two-way centre.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

When Petey first arrived, his skills were obvious. But he was so skinny, he had difficulty fighting through the defense, and frankly, I was concerned he would end up badly inured. But I told my son that first year - "This guy is going to be a top 5 NHL player one day when he gets bigger."

He's gotten bigger. His increased strength is obvious. The dude can actally hit.

He's currently already a top 10 player on points alone, but when defense is considered, he's right there around 5th or 6th best player in the league, imo. I believe he's also tied for youngest, so he has room to grow still.

We really have to re-up him asap. I would be surprised if he doesn't work himself to a 11.5m player by seasons end. That's a lot of money.

Get er done.

• Cheers 2

Good seeing Kuzmenko doing sprint intervals in the sand at some tropical location with his trainer, working hard to get in the best shape he can.

Now, seeing Petey in the gym, the boy is growing up, lean and mean. No worries, he will be ready.

I heard Podkolzin and Klimovich are training together, really wanting to be ready and impress Tocchet at camp.

I wonder how Miller trains. For some reason I see him going deep into the woods and chopping down trees, wearing work boots, a red flannel shirt and touque, just like Johnny Canuck. 

Really like seeing the off-season progress for these guys. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, -AJ- said:

Definitely true. When Miller is on his game, he's a great two-way centre.

This will be so key for Miller going forward. He can't have that lazy bad attitude we saw last year at times or the atrocious moments of defensive play. 

He looked much better under the new coach and far more dialed in. It is unlikely he gets traded now, so this is our 2C going forward and he needs to be a strong all over the ice. I'm fine with some attitude and grit, reminds me of Kesler, but the play has to match. 

I don't think he'll ever be a star in his own end, but he can at least be solid, responsible and physical. His main skills can remain his bread and butter, playmaking and the power play. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, kloubek said:

When Petey first arrived, his skills were obvious. But he was so skinny, he had difficulty fighting through the defense, and frankly, I was concerned he would end up badly inured. But I told my son that first year - "This guy is going to be a top 5 NHL player one day when he gets bigger."

He's gotten bigger. His increased strength is obvious. The dude can actally hit.

He's currently already a top 10 player on points alone, but when defense is considered, he's right there around 5th or 6th best player in the league, imo. I believe he's also tied for youngest, so he has room to grow still.

We really have to re-up him asap. I would be surprised if he doesn't work himself to a 11.5m player by seasons end. That's a lot of money.

Get er done.

Connor McDavid

Leon Draisaitl

Nathan MacKinnon

Auston Matthews

Cale Makar

Matthew Tkachuk

Mitch Marner

David Pastrnak

Adam Fox

Illya Sorokin

Elias Pettersson

I would put Petey in the top 11 of all players in the NHL right now.  If Petey has another 100+ point season and finishes in the top 3 for Selke voting, then I may move him up to top 6-7 in the NHL.  At the end of the day, if Petey is a consistent 100+ point player plus a top 3 Selke candidate, then the only real guys that I would have above him are McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Matthews, Makar and Tkachuk.  If he wins the Selke trophy then I would put him ahead of Matthews and Tkachuk and into the top 5...

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Connor McDavid

Leon Draisaitl

Nathan MacKinnon

Auston Matthews

Cale Makar

Matthew Tkachuk

Mitch Marner

David Pastrnak

Adam Fox

Illya Sorokin

Elias Pettersson

Where's Robertson? His 6th in the league in points not enough to sway you into thinking he's a top 10 player? 

I would also argue that not all of those players are great defensively (although most are at least decent in that regard). I feel that Elias anticipates the play well, and as long as he isn't too deep he's good at getting back to break up plays. This is why I upped him on my list. But really, we're talking about the best of the best here. He's right up there, regardless of specific impressions.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Where's Robertson? His 6th in the league in points not enough to sway you into thinking he's a top 10 player? 

I would also argue that not all of those players are great defensively (although most are at least decent in that regard). I feel that Elias anticipates the play well, and as long as he isn't too deep he's good at getting back to break up plays. This is why I upped him on my list. But really, we're talking about the best of the best here. He's right up there, regardless of specific impressions.

I have Robertson below all those guys.  He probably comes in right after Petey at 12.  In order for Petey to get into the top 5-6 guys he needs to have another 100+ point season and be a top 3 candidate for the Selke.  If he can win the Selke then I would definitely have him in the top 5.

Robertson is a winger, I have three wingers in the top 10 already, Tkachuk, Pastrnak and Marner.  I'm not putting another winger in the top 10 ahead of Makar, Fox or Sorokin.  I'll take the centres in Petey and Matthews over Robertson.  Marner is much better defensively and has proven more so far.  It will be hard for Robertson to crack the top 10 unless he becomes a better defensive player.  Or he beats out Pastrnak, which is possible.  

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I have Robertson below all those guys.  He probably comes in right after Petey at 12.  In order for Petey to get into the top 5-6 guys he needs to have another 100+ point season and be a top 3 candidate for the Selke.  If he can win the Selke then I would definitely have him in the top 5.

Robertson is a winger, I have three wingers in the top 10 already, Tkachuk, Pastrnak and Marner.  I'm not putting another winger in the top 10 ahead of Makar, Fox or Sorokin.  I'll take the centres in Petey and Matthews over Robertson.  Marner is much better defensively and has proven more so far.  It will be hard for Robertson to crack the top 10 unless he becomes a better defensive player.  Or he beats out Pastrnak, which is possible.  

I agree with you that Petey needs to follow up this season with another fantastic one to truly put him in the elite group. I have him in the 11-15 group for forwards in the league along with the likes of Jack Hughes, Tage Thompson, and Jason Robertson. All of them need to show they can repeat their performances from this year before I truly consider them top 10 in the league. Kaprizov would probably be the one to round out that group.

I do think you missed two key guys in the top 10 though in Kucherov (best winger in the game, solidly a top 5 forward in the league) and Rantanen. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

I agree with you that Petey needs to follow up this season with another fantastic one to truly put him in the elite group. I have him in the 11-15 group for forwards in the league along with the likes of Jack Hughes, Tage Thompson, and Jason Robertson. All of them need to show they can repeat their performances from this year before I truly consider them top 10 in the league. Kaprizov would probably be the one to round out that group.

I do think you missed two key guys in the top 10 though in Kucherov (best winger in the game, solidly a top 5 forward in the league) and Rantanen. 

I have Tkachuk, Marner and Pastrnak ahead of Kucherov and Rantanen.  I wouldn't have more than 3 wingers in my top 10.  I could even put Hampus Lindholm in the top 10 and take out Pastrnak or Marner.  It's all subjective really.  

Kucherov, Rantanen, Robertson, Kaprizov would all be in the top 15-18 guys for sure.  And several Dmen like Lindholm, Slavin, Hedman, Josi, etc.  Plus, Shesterkin and Vasilevskiy...

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

While I can buy into at least your reasoning, I would argue that Robertson is still young and is poised to be an even more dominant scoring force than he already is. And given your username, I am surprised that you would rank Petey so low. While hardly a beast, he IS strong defensively. I don't recall who released it, but I came across something a couple of weeks ago which took many elements of a player's game across the board, and it made an argument that Petey was one of the best centers in the game already... not even taking into account the fact he's so young. I take that with a grain of salt since it isn't hard to cherry pick information to present a false case... but it sure did seem convincing.

As you mentioned, Petey needs to produce this season. Actually, he should probably improve upon last season. And if he does so (which I believe WILL happen), I think we'll find his point totals in the top 5 of the league this coming season. 

• Cheers 1