The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I don’t think he’s a 3C on Long Island though, is he?

Bo would be our third best centre if we gave into his selfish contract demands. On the Island Bo might be the 3C too. Barzal is clearly better. And Pageau is far superior without the puck. Bo might be the guy with the 3rd minutes. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I don’t think he’s a 3C on Long Island though, is he?

He very much isn't. In the 6 playoff games the Islanders had, there was only one game where he didn't lead all forwards in ice time. Also in that one game he didn't, Barzal, Pageau, Nelson, and Bo were all within 1 minute of each other. The plan is clearly to play him as their 1C with Barzal on the wing, and if it doesn't work he will move back to 2C (a position he's held for a good 8 years now). And if he was still with the Canucks he would still be the 2C with Miller likely still on the wing, but also he isn't and it doesn't really matter now. Bo is not a true 1C, and shouldn't have been paid as such, but that doesn't suddenly drop him down to being a 3C.

Back to Petey; I'm still fairly confident an extension will get worked out at some point but even if it doesn't, as an RFA, Petey will still bring back a heck of a haul.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He was in the playoffs, at least for a short time anyways, when Pageau was promoted to 2C because BO couldn't score or drive play...

I don't think it was an easy move to NYI for Bo.  After playing his entire career in Vancouver, I would

think it was a tough adjustment for him.  I'm sure he will pull things together for this season.

He's a player that can score (back to back +30g), drive to the net and win faceoffs; all are badly

needed on the Islander team. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He was in the playoffs, at least for a short time anyways, when Pageau was promoted to 2C because BO couldn't score or drive play...

Pageau didnt really create anything. Horvat was on the ice for 4GF and 2GA. Pageau was on for 2GF and 3GA. Pageau’s line created nothing at 5v5 and had 1GF at ES. Horvats line had 2GF at 5v5 and 3GF at ES. Horvats line got a shorty, Pageau’s line gave up a shorty.

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Pageau didnt really create anything. Horvat was on the ice for 4GF and 2GA. Pageau was on for 2GF and 3GA. Pageau’s line created nothing at 5v5 and had 1GF at ES. Horvats line had 2GF at 5v5 and 3GF at ES. Horvats line got a shorty, Pageau’s line gave up a shorty.

Who was on the ice when they gave up a Larscheid?

31 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not an unrealistic prediction, honestly. Personally, I could see his goal total ramping up to almost 50 with maybe 60 assists for maybe 108 or 109 points. He's an incredible shooter. Naslund, but with a harder shot.

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup. Pageau is a better player than Horfat Wallet. So is Brock Nelson. Even if Barzal plays wing, Horfat Wallet is still not as good as Nelson and Pageau. So he’s at best their 3rd best centre. Same as he would be with us. 

Edited by Alflives

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Pageau is a better player than Horfat Wallet. So is Brock Nelson. Even if Barzal plays wing, Horfat Wallet is still not as good as Nelson and Pageau. So he’s at best their 3rd best centre. Same as he would be with us. 

Nelson has been much better than Horvat the last two years.  Horvat was playing shinny for 4 months last year and Nelson was still able to get more points than him playing a full year with the Islanders.  He is their #1 centre, regardless who plays with Barzal.

As for Pageau, he is just as good as Horvat on the faceoffs, has gotten Selke votes for 7 years of his career so is much better defensively and is a good penalty killer.  Horvat should be their 2C but it still remains to be seen how he will fit into that group for an entire year.  Will he even break 50 points this year?  I'm not sure.  He was on a pace for like 45 points after he got traded, so I'm thinking Horvat will go back to his 50-55 point seasons...

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah I was gonna say Bo even at 7 would be worth it, that'd be ideal to have Miller taking draw with Petey but playing wing. Sucks Bo needed that 8 +

Had management not severely low-balled Bo in the summer I'm sure he would have signed for 7M. But asking him to take a pay cut from his prior contract clearly rubbed him the wrong way and put a chip on his shoulder. Regardless, what's done is done and thankfully management seems to be bringing in decent support players to surround Petey with.

• Like 1

Love the Horvat bashing now he's gone sad thing is he turned out to be the centre we all wanted for that last 30 years closest thing we've had to linden. Our top 2 centre's sadly aren't centre's petey will be if he gets stronger and can win a face off til then just a winger like Miller. Miller is close we wanted Horvath to be nasty... Miller's weakness to emotional... wow

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

On 8/30/2023 at 10:41 AM, -AJ- said:

Not an unrealistic prediction, honestly. Personally, I could see his goal total ramping up to almost 50 with maybe 60 assists for maybe 108 or 109 points. He's an incredible shooter. Naslund, but with a harder shot.

Depending on how he does this year and also when he chooses to sign; I can see a raise to 9.5 to 10 mil/ yr over a 4 to 5 yr term. He is not a 12.5 mil player at this point in his career IMO. He may play his way into that in years to come.

In comparing 24-27 yr old top end center's in the league (excluding McDiver) taking in to consideration their ability to put up the numbers, there are a few of note, Brayden Point, Nick Suzuki, Jack Eichel, Matt Barzal, Roope Hinz, Pierre Luc Dubois, Robert Thomas, Sebastian Aho, Dylan Larkin and Tage Thompson, Lots of variation in both production and renumeration in this group.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Depending on how he does this year and also when he chooses to sign; I can see a raise to 9.5 to 10 mil/ yr over a 4 to 5 yr term. He is not a 12.5 mil player at this point in his career IMO. He may play his way into that in years to come.

In comparing 24-27 yr old top end center's in the league (excluding McDiver) taking in to consideration their ability to put up the numbers, there are a few of note, Brayden Point, Nick Suzuki, Jack Eichel, Matt Barzal, Roope Hinz, Pierre Luc Dubois, Robert Thomas, Sebastian Aho, Dylan Larkin and Tage Thompson, Lots of variation in both production and renumeration in this group.

I personally think he's easily worth $11M+ right now. Top 10 scorer with a good two-way game? He's probably a top 5 centre in the league. I'd put him above every single centre you listed there and likely by a considerably margin too. He scores more and is better defensively than most, if not all of those centres. When comparing other contracts, inflation also needs to be taken into account--a contract from years ago isn't the same dollar value as today, especially with the anticipated big increase in cap coming this summer.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I personally think he's easily worth $11M+ right now. Top 10 scorer with a good two-way game? He's probably a top 5 centre in the league. I'd put him above every single centre you listed there and likely by a considerably margin too. He scores more and is better defensively than most, if not all of those centres. When comparing other contracts, inflation also needs to be taken into account--a contract from years ago isn't the same dollar value as today, especially with the anticipated big increase in cap coming this summer.

I agree, and he's only beginning to come into his own. Last year wasn't a fluke. He's only going to get better.